What genre is Champions really about?

Guest bblackmoor

Re: What genre is Champions really about?

Well it was meant as hyperbole and a bit of humor to lighten the mood. In that' date=' it clearly failed miserably.[/quote']

Dude... I looked for a smiley face. I saw no smiley face.

Smilies... saviors of communication... now available. ;)

Dude... I looked for a smiley face. I saw no smiley face.

Smilies... saviors of communication... now available. ;)

I thought it was so clearly over the top it didn't need one. And its wasn't attacking anyone at all. *shrug*

I think its telling that this stuff gets people more worked up than the "Which System is better for Supers?" threads which seem incredibly calm and civil. Mind you, I'm used to the ones on rpg.net so it might be like growing up in Bosnia and moving to South Central LA. :)

Okay, I can accept that: I am sure there are superheroes who would sincerely hold that conviction. Just for a moment, though, think about it another way:

There are superheroes who see their actions not only in terms of immediate consequences, but in how those actions will inspire or influence others. It's my opinion that at least part of the "boy scout" routine that Superman is so famous for is at least partly because he is aware that if he does flout the law, or puts himself in the position of judge, jury, and executioner, that other supers -- perhaps ones not quite so powerful as Superman, and who are in greater danger than he is, and thus may suffer greater temptation to cut corners -- might follow his example.

That's a really long sentence.

What I am saying is that some superheroes may consider the "greater good" to be working within the system, because they think the evil caused by the Joker is less damaging than the damage which would be caused if superheroes as a whole ceased to respect the laws and morals of society.

I am not saying that all supers do or should think this way, but I do think it's a valid superheroic point of view.

That reminds me of that Justice League TAS episode "A Better World". Superman kills Lex Luthor and the Justice League turn the world into a police state.

Scramble! The next pull from his deck will no doubt be the race card.

What? There's no "Flame War CCG" out there? Must have been a bad dream...

;)

LOL and I am black too... yay! ;)

So in short I think Campions is about comics, in all their varied, crazy uniformity... and every way is the right way...

LOL and I am black too... yay! ;)

So in short I think Campions is about comics, in all their varied, crazy uniformity... and every way is the right way...

I second that motion. The only thing I was going to add is that Champions is abut whatever aspect of comics you and your group decide upon. Run it Iron Age, Golden, Silver, Bronze, Adamantium, whichever floats your boat. Heck, run a few differing aspects as one-offs to see if the "other side" might be on to something. :)

HERO is really about heroic fiction in a reasonably "traditional" RPG setting.

Champions is really about heroic fiction featuring super-heroes in the same.

I think that's really the long and short of it, and I think that while it can be played any number of ways, it's just that and only that. I've played Champions from Golden/Silver/4-color/traditional to Iron/crazy, and it's worked pretty well in all, though it breaks down a bit on the surreal end as one loses the way of heroic fiction.

Just out of curiosity, what was the point of this thread?

No one has changed their views on the subject. People are just restating things they've already stated umpteen times in other threads. While some of us have agreed to disagree, others just need to get their barbs in. How annoying.

Well, if anything, at least we get to pad our posts. Who's coming up on 4,000 next, by the way? ;)

Mags

Guest bblackmoor

Just out of curiosity' date=' [i']what[/i] was the point of this thread?

To un-derail the "code vs. killing" thread.

It didn't work.