Challenge Talent Build: Sleep with Eyes Open

Sociotard

Re: Challenge Talent Build: Sleep with Eyes Open

That all depends on if the character is really asleep or not.

If the character is asleep, then it's only a SFX and you don't need to pay any points.

If the character is aware/awake or can easily wake up for any reason, then just buy Life Support: Does not sleep. SFX is that the character either sleeps "with eyes open" or sleeps "while standing up". Simple.

Mags

You don't need to go through all that trouble. Just say the character sleeps with his eyes open. Some people do, you know. Its not that big a deal, especially if the character really is asleep. You don't pay points for having brown hair, or to own a cell phone... so don't waste points on sleeping with eyes open.

Mags

If you realy want to pay something for it, I'd say 1 point, but 1 point of "reduced sleeping" is way more effective. This doesn't seem much different to me than a character who fakes being asleep - I don't need Images for that. This one is just able to fake being awake.

Well, it was only for a few seconds. I'm sure I would have veered off eventually. Or, maybe bumping into someone woke me up. I don't remember it all that well (go figure).

It was a little creepy to discover that my body was doing things while I wasn't there. Maybe this means that "sleep" is a more complicated state than we normally recognize.

Zeropoint

Depends on whether or not there is an in-game, consistent benefit from having this "ability". If not, it costs no points.

If it helps the character wake up more quickly, it's Lightsleep.

If it actually has the potential to fool people that he really is not asleep (usually you can tell, even with the eyes open), it's Disguise, Only To Pretend To Be Awake (-2).

If he's partially aware of what is going on, it's Life Support, No Need To Sleep, Half DCV Concentration Throughout.

And so on.

Cool Zeropoint! How did you keep going in a straight line?

I've talked to enough people who've gone through book camp (particularly Marine or Army) who've sleept though marches, drills and even inspection. It's really more like sleep-walking. When you do the same things every day, and you don't get enough sleep, your body just kinda takes over. Not every recruit does this, but more than a few develop the trait (and almost no one retains the ability after boot camp for some reason).