The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

The original lyrics to the Birthday Song were:

Good Morning to you.

Good Morning to you.

Good Morning, Dear Children,

good morning to you.

It was invented and sung by two Nursery School or Kindergarten Teachers every morning in the 1880s or 90s. Then I think Coca Cola bought the rights to it.

I don't know when it changed to "Happy Birthday".

I woke up today at 7:30ish AM confinced that it was 7:30ish PM and wondering 1) where had the day gone 2) I had a uni lecture from 5-8pm so I thought I missed it, and 3) wondering why it was still day and not night (the sun sets at about 7pm) 4) why I was still in my PJs at this time at "night" and had not changed my clothes at all during the "day" -- it puzzled me.

So convinced I was that it was 7:30 PM I had left the computer on during the night so I called up the NGD to check the time time-stamp on posts and threads. The cynic in me distrusted the AM time as I thought the computers clock could be reset, in other words the time indicated ont he PC was not reliable.

2) Still convinced that it was 7:30 PM I went to the TV and called up the cable tv guide. It just so happened that a show I know is only shown in the AM was on next. This was the first indication that I may be AM afterall. But still I'm not convinced.

3) I phoned the time and got the mechanic voice telling me what the time was (no AM nor PM was indicated. By this time it was close to 8 and since it was day not night, I concluded that it was AM afterall, and went back to bed.

I have too, but that was before my professional astronomy training days. Since then, if possible, my clocks display time in 24-hour format, and if not possible I always look for the AM/PM bit. "Gah, it's oh-seven-thirty? Back to bed."

Probably true for many people. It was essential for me. And it was made easier by listening to AFN for half a dozen of my formative years. "At the sound of the tone, the time will be oh nine hundred hours Central European Time. Beep Beep Beep Beep Beeeeeep" every hour on the hour.

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil is your friend. ;)
So it will tell me the time for the USA. That's great but not if you're an Aussie who doesn't know what time it is in his own time zone. ;)

I have too' date=' but that was before my professional astronomy training days. Since then, if possible, my clocks display time in 24-hour format, and if not possible I always look for the AM/PM bit. "Gah, it's oh-seven-thirty? Back to bed."[/quote'] I realized much afterwards I could have looked at the bed-side clock and it would have told me it was "AM". Problem solved.