The Last Word

Bazza

I hope you have more fun grading yours than I just had grading mine.  One of my Honors classes averaged 61% on the exam they're about to get back. I'm sure I've had an Honors class average that low before, but I honestly can't remember when.

Time to break out the clue bat.

I could go back and look at exam averages over the years, but I always curve everything (and I never give the same exam) so I don't keep numbers like that in my memory.

Got a begging email this morning from a student. Dude, be smarter.

He comes to class. I am reasonably sure he studies. However, I think he has fundamental limits that he cannot overcome. He seems to be at the cognitive level where he can only apply knowledge if he has seen that specific kind of manipulation done before (so he could have dutifully memorized it). Asking him to combine and apply concepts that are mutually relevant in ways he has not seen before is worse than hopeless.

He is hardly the first one to take my class and have this happen to him. I fully expect him to end up as a flaming, dying wreck at the bottom of Broken Bulldozer Gulch.

I do too, but this is one of the courses which reveals who can do it and who can't. It would be better for everyone if there was a way to make people recognize their limitations before this, but if it takes a C-minus in Physics 106 to get that across, that's what is supposed to happen. Better here than to let him get into med school, and have others suffer death or disabling illness because he's not smart enough to make a difficult diagnosis or figure out the proper treatment.

I am reminded of a story of the math professor who was interrupted during a lecture by a student who shouted, "Why do we have to know this crap?"

He responded, "Because calculus saves lives."

"How does calculus save lives?"

"By keeping some people out of medical school."

I hope you have more fun grading yours than I just had grading mine.  One of my Honors classes averaged 61% on the exam they're about to get back. I'm sure I've had an Honors class average that low before, but I honestly can't remember when.

Time to break out the clue bat.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do that well, actually.

Maybe I should go for a flying fox bat.