The Last Word

Bazza

In the last 300 or so years many special interests/cultural ages (i.e. Enlightenment) have used Hypatia for their own ends. She has been a demure virgin, a femme fatale; from a pagan to a Christian. Around the time of Carl Sagan Hypatia was "promoted/emphasised" as a scientist of reason over the unreason of Cyril and Christianity. Feminists have used Hypatia for similar reasons.

Almost certainly if you have heard of Hypatia you have heard of what the book is calling the 'literary legend' of Hypatia; I'm sure the writers from antiquity have said is more interesting, when i get up to that chapter, about 5 more pages. 

Book details: http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674437760

More: the book is a bit like a detective story:, trying to piece together the historical records and draw acceptable conclusions. She taught Christians and some if these referred to her with epithets and phrases one might also use to describe a saint.