The Last Word

Bazza

44 minutes ago, Bazza said:

The 12 Apostles are famous, and like you I hadn't heard of the peak in Tasmania or Horizontal Falls. 

If you do an image search for "Ruby Beach Olympic National Park Washington" ... we have some things near here similar to, though not so grand as, the 12 Apostles.  Not so individually famous, because there's lots of good stuff along that section of coastline.  I expect it's a lot colder than what Oz has, though.

On November 21, 2018 at 7:21 PM, Pariah said:

While we're on the subject, may I just stayed how utterly preposterous it is, even in a fictional universe, that the captain or executive officer of a ship would be on an away team.

Well, there are circumstances... almost always of a diplomatic sort ... where the captain (or admiral commanding the squadron) has to go ashore (or planetside) and make an official call on the local ranking official.  Doesn't happen in uncivilized places, obviously, or when guns are fired (in anything other than a salute), but it is part of the diplomatic relations that are throwbacks to an earlier era.

30 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Well, there are circumstances... almost always of a diplomatic sort ... where the captain (or admiral commanding the squadron) has to go ashore (or planetside) and make an official call on the local ranking official.  Doesn't happen in uncivilized places, obviously, or when guns are fired (in anything other than a salute), but it is part of the diplomatic relations that are throwbacks to an earlier era.

Yes, this makes sense. But the captain of the ship routinely going ashore or planetside where there are unknowns or even hostiles present just doesn't make any sense to me. It seems like a really good way to end up in the history books right next to Ferdinand Magellan.

Trying again:

From the What Have You Watched Recently? Thread:

Pariah:

"Re-watched the episode(s) "The Savage Time" from the Justice League animated series. A lot of great cameos and nods to Golden Age DC characters.

And may I simply say, the idea of Vandal Savage with 21st century technology at the head of the Third Reich is absolutely terrifying."

Like this? 

(Refer to attachment)

Google Reveals Plans to Monitor Our Moods, Our Movements, and Our Children's Behavior at Home
https://pjmedia.com/trending/google-reveals-plans-to-monitor-our-moods-our-movements-and-our-childrens-behavior/

Beijing to Judge Every Resident Based on Behavior by End of 2020
- China capital plans ‘social credit’ system by end of 2020
- Citizens with poor scores will be ‘unable to move’ a step
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-21/beijing-to-judge-every-resident-based-on-behavior-by-end-of-2020

"China’s plan to judge each of its 1.3 billion people based on their social behavior is moving a step closer to reality, with Beijing set to adopt a lifelong points program by 2021 that assigns personalized ratings for each resident.

The capital city will pool data from several departments to reward and punish some 22 million citizens based on their actions and reputations by the end of 2020, according to a plan posted on the Beijing municipal government’s website on Monday. Those with better so-called social credit will get “green channel” benefits while those who violate laws will find life more difficult."

#comingSoon 

IMG_6305.JPG

On 11/26/2018 at 7:49 AM, Cancer said:

Incidentally, this is how you get green alien babes in a TV sci-fi context; the mutation is for green rather than black.

And I approve of the concept of "Lamborghini of alien babes" that goes along with that analogy as well.

Neat idea.