The Last Word

Bazza

Reminds me of what a vascular surgeon once said. We were closing up after an abdominal aortic procedure, and I asked why he was spending so much time on the retroperitoneal fat, making sure that all of the vessel was covered before continuing. "Because," says he, "if we're not careful, the aorta can come into contact with the gut. Then the friction might open up an aorto-duodenal fistula, and the patient would bleed out in three heartbeats. Obviously, that's not functional."

Had a male Downy Woodpecker on the suet feeder yesterday evening, which is the first time for that (there's been one or more females before, but not a male).  Interesting to think the downies might be moving in nearby.  They are much smaller than the flickers we have in great abundance.

Also, the female Townsend's warbler was there, as was a female [American] goldfinch.  The warbler is an occasional winter visitor, but I'm not sure I've seen one in our yard this late in the winter before.  Now, the snow is still pretty thick up in the hills, so that might be the reason, but I wonder if they're moving into our relative lowland neighborhood also.

The goldfinches have been in the neighborhood forever, but they haven't been regulars in our yard.

BTW, for our non-North American posters, American goldfinches are very different from European goldfinches (same subfamily, but different genus).  The male American goldfinches, in season, are intensely yellow more or less all over with some black accents on head, wings, and tail.  (The females are much more drab.)  USers new to Europe, on seeing a European goldfinch after being used to the North American variety, wonder why the European sort are called "gold".