The Last Word

Bazza

Q: What are some films that have influenced Clint Eastwood? —Lalie, Hemet, Calif.
A: “I was raised in what they call the golden age of movies,” Eastwood, 81, has said, naming 1940s classics like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, How Green Was My Valley, and The Ox-Bow Incident as some of his favorites.
https://parade.com/113617/parade/clint-eastwood-2/

Arguably the 20 most boring films in cinema
https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/movies/arguably-the-20-most-boring-films-in-cinema/ss-AAVGEfP?li=AAgfYrC

Australia (2008)
Empire (1964)
The Tree of Life (2011)
Fifty Shades of Grey (2015)
Vanilla Sky (2001)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
Sieranevada (2016)
The Postman (1997)
The Room (2003)
The Irishman (2019)
Catwoman (2004)
Uncut Gems (2019)
Inherent Vice (2014)
Showgirls (1995)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Noah (2014)
Far and Away (1992)
How to make an American Quilt (1995)
Pret A Porter (1994)
Swept Away (2002)

Minions Can’t Die. Here’s a Trailer for The Rise of Gru
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/minions-cant-die-heres-a-trailer-for-the-rise-of-gru/ar-BB1gI8bO?li=AAgfYrC

“Beyond being a fun but horrifying little aside, the montage where the Minions search for a new, evil leader raised major questions about the creatures and their seeming immortality.

They're depicted as existing as far back as "the beginning of time", surviving millions of years before Despicable Me even took place. We then got screenwriter Brian Lynch confirming on Twitter exactly what the movies imply: that minions are immortal, and they cannot die.

Largely, this fact is used for comedic purposes, but if we look a bit closer it becomes very grim. If, for example, the Minions were anything other than fun, silly creatures looking to cause mayhem and make gibberish jokes, we would all be crushed under their heel. To be clear: this a race of creature with no physical weaknesses and millions of years' experience preparing for war and committing evil.”

Made-up Bible verses in movies (or completely made up that appear to be Blblical)
https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/smart-living/made-up-bible-verses-in-movies/ss-AAVIlGQ?li=AAgfYrC

'Pulp Fiction' (1994) - "And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

'Footloose' (1984) - "Praise ye the lord. Sing unto the lord a new song. Let him praise His name in the dance."

'The Shawshank Redemption' (1994) - "His judgment cometh, and that right soon." 

'Carrie' (1976) - "The first sin was intercourse."

'The Book of Eli' (2010) - "Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorn and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return."

'Cape Fear' (1991) - "I am like God and God like me. I am as large as God, he is as small as I. He cannot be above me, nor I beneath him be." This is actually a quote from German priest Angelus Silesius.

'Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens' (2015) - "Dear child, the belonging you seek is not behind you...it is ahead."

'Thor: Ragnarok' (2017) - “A wise king never seeks out war, but he must always be ready for it.”

'Ghostbusters' (1984) - "And I looked, and he opened the sixth seal, and behold there was a great earthquake. And the sun became black as sackcloth, and the moon became as blood."

'V for Vendetta' (2005) - "Spare the rod, spoil the child."

'Black Panther' (2018) - "We will work to be an example of how we, as brothers and sisters on this earth, should treat each other."

'Mad Max: Fury Road' (2015) - "I am your redeemer... It is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of the world."

'War for the Planet of the Apes' (2017) - "I did not start this war. I offered you peace. I showed you mercy."

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2' (2011) - "From this day forth, you put your faith in me."

'Doctor Strange' (2016) - "Arrogance and fear still keep you from learning the simplest and most significant lesson of all."

'Braveheart' (1995) - "Your heart is free...have the courage to follow it."

'Avengers: Age of Ultron' (2015) - "Did you know this church is in the exact center of the city? The elders decreed it so that everybody should be equally close to God."

'Apocalypse Now' (1979) - "I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one."

'Gladiator' (2000) - "Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity."

'True Grit' (2010) - "There is nothing free except the grace of God."

'Gone with the Wind' (1939) - "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!"

'My Best Friend's Wedding' (1997) - "This, too, shall pass."

'King Kong' (1933) - "Before I tell you any more, I'm going to show you the greatest thing your eyes have ever beheld. He was a king and a god in the world he knew."

'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (1938) - "Do you know any prayers, my friend?"

'Shakedown' (1988) - "There is nothing covered up that shall not be uncovered. There is nothing hidden that shall not be known. Whatever I say to you in the dark, you must repeat in the daylight. And whatever is whispered, you must shout from the rooftops."

'Anne of Green Gables' (1934) - "Pride goes before the fall."

‘A Quick One’: How The Who Took a Giant Step Forward

Wild experiments and sophisticated songcraft took The Who’s second album to a new level.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/the-who-a-quick-one-album-feature/?fbclid=IwAR38vrYszUc4ISeED3-8w-nKWM44NOp8SOfx5m--1OgipnOvdor05_raCFM

The rest of the album is defined by outrageous experiments and a new level of songwriting sophistication.

Case in point: Did heavy metal, prog rock, and rock opera originate with A Quick One? Assigning such distinctions can be a slippery slope, but a damn convincing case can be made. For instance, the Entwistle-written/sung “Boris the Spider” bears an imposing, doomy riff, spooky subject, and on the chorus, even a proto-death metal vocal growl – it prefigures Black Sabbath by a good few years and adds a sense of humor to the bargain.

The outsized suite “A Quick One, While He’s Away” prognosticates both the arrival of progressive rock and The Who’s own subsequent run of full-blown rock operas like Tommy and Quadrophenia...

According to Mark Blake’s Pretend You’re in a War, Paul McCartney was impressed and told Pete Townshend that the song [A Quick One While He Is Away] was “exactly the sort of thing The Beatles were working towards.” (Six months later, the Fab Four would release Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.)