cannot be escaped with teleportation

Sociotard

Kay, a character can set up an entangle or part of a base as having the advantage "cannot be escaped with teleportation". Can it be applied to strength, or HKAs? If so, does it need to be applied to all the str, or will any amount do? I mean, if I just set up +STR, cannot be escaped with teleportation, only for grabs, and it's as good at keeping 'em from teleporting as applying it against all the str . . .

As a related question: if a character has teleportation: usable as attack, and he steps in a gadgeteers 'bear trap' with a cannot be escaped with teleportation advantage, can he just teleport away with the bear trap on his foot?

Re: cannot be escaped with teleportation

1. It can only be applied to things that make "walls", like Entangles, Force Walls, base Defenses, and so on. So, no STR with this Advantage. I might be willing to allow it, but I'd certainly be leary of having on less than the full Power.

2. I'd say that generally, no, he can't just cart it off: it is immune to the Teleport. However, I might very well allow it if the combination of special effects in question were correct.

1. It can only be applied to things that make "walls", like Entangles, Force Walls, base Defenses, and so on. So, no STR with this Advantage. I might be willing to allow it, but I'd certainly be leary of having on less than the full Power.

2. I'd say that generally, no, he can't just cart it off: it is immune to the Teleport. However, I might very well allow it if the combination of special effects in question were correct.

I agree that special effect would need to be examined closely on how this would be enforced. A good example might be Stargate SG-1. No Stargate can be taken apart so therefore they cannot be sent through another Stargate (size limitation). However, an Asgard ship was able to use transporters on the American Stargate. Two different types of Teleport involved.

I do think that it is a little strange that the 'defense' against an object with "cannot be escaped with teleportation" is 'armor piercing' on the Teleport since the usual 'counter' to armor piercing is 'hardened' but hardened would not stop teleport in this example. (It would stop an attack built with 'indirect' under the special effect of Teleporting past a defense however!)

I do think that it is a little strange that the 'defense' against an object with "cannot be escaped with teleportation" is 'armor piercing' on the Teleport since the usual 'counter' to armor piercing is 'hardened' but hardened would not stop teleport in this example. (It would stop an attack built with 'indirect' under the special effect of Teleporting past a defense however!)

Technically, all the +1/4 Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation is a version of Hardened, specifically one that doesn't also improve the DEF of the Entangle. I'm not sure why it was seperated, or what would happen of Hardened instead of put on the Entangle.

Probably because the SFX of many (if not most) Entangles don't cover the entire body completely, allowing for someone with Teleport to "teleport around" the Hardened Defense, even though he's grabbed by it)

Actually' date=' I expect it was because the author thought it reasonable that you couldn't Teleport through the front armor of a tank, for example. And the Advantage is applicable to mroe than just Entangle, you know.[/quote']

I've never seen in applied to anything but, but the exception of the GM saying "I won't allow you to put Hardened on that wall" (which I've never seen happen).

I find this odd. I can set up an entangle with the SFX of "I grab 'im", and then put the cannot escape w/ teleport advantage on (he's a mystic brick, or a gadgeteer with a phase modulation suppressor, or something), but I can't apply the same advantage to my STR or a grabbing HKA (like a wolf's bite)?

I find this odd. I can set up an entangle with the SFX of "I grab 'im"' date=' and then put the cannot escape w/ teleport advantage on (he's a mystic brick, or a gadgeteer with a phase modulation suppressor, or something), but I can't apply the same advantage to my STR or a grabbing HKA (like a wolf's bite)?[/quote']

Spiffy, aint it? Inexplicable, but spiffy.

Spiffy' date=' aint it? Inexplicable, but spiffy.[/quote']

I think this paradox is a good reason why characters with Teleport should have to define something that they can't Teleport through in the same way that characters with Desolidification and/or NND attacks have to define the special effects of those abilities.

I think this paradox is a good reason why characters with Teleport should have to define something that they can't Teleport through in the same way that characters with Desolidification and/or NND attacks have to define the special effects of those abilities.

Heck, "x-ray" senses do, and they're both pretty much examples of Indirect in action...

I personally wouldn't have any problems with a brick character who could define appropriate special effects purchasing "Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation" as an Advantage on STR. It makes as much sense as, say, buying Affects Desolid on STR. Said Advantage applied in this case would only function with maneuvers such as Grab, for which escape is an issue, but this would not be a Limitation - simply a part of the game mechanic. Purchasing AP on Teleport would bypass this effect.