Kinetic-Kill Missile

Zeropoint

I'm trying to write up a medium-sized kinetic-kill missile as an automaton. Logically, the missile would be performing a move-through on its target. The problem is the amount of damage that the missile will do if it's moving at a realistic speed--I'm coming up with numbers like 45d6 for a SPD 6 missile moving at about the speed of sound, and that's a lot higher than I want it to be. Is there a rule somewhere about reducing move-through damage if the character weighs less than 100kg? Or will I have to use a custom limitation?

Zeropoint

Re: Kinetic-Kill Missile

I'm trying to write up a medium-sized kinetic-kill missile as an automaton. Logically' date=' the missile would be performing a move-through on its target. The problem is the amount of damage that the missile will do if it's moving at a realistic speed--I'm coming up with numbers like 45d6 for a SPD 6 missile moving at about the speed of sound, and that's a lot higher than I want it to be. Is there a rule somewhere about reducing move-through damage if the character weighs less than 100kg? Or will I have to use a custom limitation?[/Quote']

Buy its strength down to -50. It can't lift anything, and all it's move through damage is due to momentum...

Buy its strength down to -50. It can't lift anything' date=' and all it's move through damage is due to momentum...[/quote']That's one good idea.

You might also lower the SPD of the missile to 3 or 4 to reduce the damage. These things move so fast they have little or no time to make course corrections. Even most starships in Star Hero have SPDs of only 3.

And 45d6 for a standard (but extremely powerful) attack isn't really out of line, and wouldn't kill most well defended heroes after application of defenses. Since these weapons go so fast they deliver a lot of energy on target. (Are you using hypersonic or fractional-C weapons?)

I'm trying to write up a medium-sized kinetic-kill missile as an automaton. Logically, the missile would be performing a move-through on its target. The problem is the amount of damage that the missile will do if it's moving at a realistic speed--I'm coming up with numbers like 45d6 for a SPD 6 missile moving at about the speed of sound, and that's a lot higher than I want it to be. Is there a rule somewhere about reducing move-through damage if the character weighs less than 100kg? Or will I have to use a custom limitation?

Zeropoint

Your main problem stems from one source. By default, velocity damage happens at a linear rate. Under the current default rules, a character could probably destroy a planet by doing a move through at relatively low speeds.

However, I do have help for you.

On page 292 of the main rules book there is a method of doing velocity damage which is exponential (of course, if you don't like the idea that damage happens at exponential rates, then you should be happy with the 45d6 result). Anyway the book describes the new method as "more realistic," and it is definitely the method I'd recommend.

Under the new method, your projectile would have a Velocity Factor of 14 (at mach 1). Which would give it a value of 14d6 + STR for a move through.

In order to represent the size of the missile, I'd just give it a low STR to match its size (which would impact it's move through damage)

Based on weight, I'd set the missle's STR as follows :

50kg = STR +05 = +1d6 (Total of 15d6 on move through)

25kg = STR +00 = +0d6 (Total of 14d6 on move through)

12kg = STR -05 = -1d6 (Total of 13d6 on move through)

06kg = STR -10 = -2d6 (Total of 12d6 on move through)

03kg = STR -15 = -3d6 (Total of 11d6 on move through)

01kg = STR -20 = -4d6 (Total of 10d6 on move through)

NOTE: I may be wrong about how negative STR impacts move through damage, but this set-up seems right to me.

That's one good idea.

You might also lower the SPD of the missile to 3 or 4 to reduce the damage.

I believe that you might be mistaken here Treb.

As I understand what he is saying, the damage being done is based on Move-Through. Under the current rules, lowering the SPD will not impact damage for a move through. As I understand the rules, they are based on move per phase rather than move per segment or move per turn.

A character with 30" flight will do (v/3) damage on a move through, which in this case is 10d6 + STR. The character can have a 1 SPD or a 12 SPD and the damage will still be the same.

And if you are trying to simulate a specific given velocity (say 60 mph, which is approximately 90 ft/sec, or approximately 18" per second, or 216" per turn), lowering the SPD of the missile could actually increase the damage. This is because, if it had a lower SPD, the missile would have to have more inches of flight to reach the same velocity.

In order for a 1 SPD char to get to 216" per turn he'd have to buy 216" of flight, and he'd do 72d6 + STR on a move through at 60 mph.

In order for a 12 SPD char to get to 216" per turn he'd have to buy 18" of flight, and he'd do 6d6 + STR on a move through at 60 mph.

So, if he wanted to keep the mach 1 rating and lower the SPD of the missile, it could actually increase the damage.

However, the optional damage stuff, which I mentioned in my previous post, covers that stuff much better. In the new method all damage is based on move per turn rather than move per phase.

I'm working off memory here but dosn't Megascale have a little blurb on a optional way to figure Really high speeds? If not having a multi of mega move to get the big move and a slot of close in manuver speed might keep the damage on a level that is wanted.....

FYI:

The Navy is currently planning a kinetic-kill missile for the DDX (I think this is the program acroymn) advanced technology program. The new warships would use electricity (a LOT of it) to speed a 6 foot titianium rod to target. This "spear" travelling at high mach speed should penetrate deeply buried targets (up to 300 feet deep). This sounds like sci-fi but it is in experiemntal stages now.

You guys are forgetting one thing.

Physical Objects cannot do more damage than their Def + Body in DC's. Thus, if a Def 12, Body 10 missile were travelling at mach speeds, the most it could do would be 22D6 damage. Although, at mach speeds, you may want to convert to killing damage to roll both less dice and for it to be more effective at penetrating defenses. Thus, the above KKM would do 7D6+1K damage (22DC killing)

The optional exponential speed damage chart is another good fix for this as well.

FYI:

The Navy is currently planning a kinetic-kill missile for the DDX (I think this is the program acroymn) advanced technology program. The new warships would use electricity (a LOT of it) to speed a 6 foot titianium rod to target. This "spear" travelling at high mach speed should penetrate deeply buried targets (up to 300 feet deep). This sounds like sci-fi but it is in experiemntal stages now.

Do you have any links to this?? Sounds interesting.