Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: to whom it may concern

When the train actually hits Person A' date=' he will go squish, whether he perceives the difference between his own subjective personal / social reality and objective reality or not.[/quote']

Yes but people's reactions to this event will be very different as they may not share the same view of the evidence.

I heard about this one guy got crucified to death and they're pretty sure he was up walking around a few days later...

PS - more to the point, actually, as you know, someone may deny that you're right, even if they also saw the event. How do you know they're wrong for sure? What you know for sure is that video evidence and other witnesses all swear you're right and the other person insane. The only logical course of action is to go with the "obvious" reality. But does that matter to the person denying it? Does it matter to the person who walks into the train thinking he'll live? Effectively, it does not, so reality's immutability is not really effective.

PS - more to the point, actually, as you know, someone may deny that you're right, even if they also saw the event. How do you know they're wrong for sure?

Reality is what it is, whether I'm sure or not.

What you know for sure is that video evidence and other witnesses all swear you're right and the other person insane. The only logical course of action is to go with the "obvious" reality. But does that matter to the person denying it? Does it matter to the person who walks into the train thinking he'll live? Effectively, it does not, so reality's immutability is not really effective.

If this were a Zen story, this would be the point where I'd hit you over the head with a bamboo rod. ;)

Not that I ever actually would, of course.

If this were a Zen story, this would be the point where I'd hit you over the head with a bamboo rod. ;)

Do it at a convention, that'll surprise him. And you better hit hard; so he can't ignore your subjective perception of the objective reality of you hitting him with his subjective reality.

Reality is what it is' date=' whether I'm sure or not. [/quote']

Probably (I think this is where some quantum physics theorists can say things to the contrary that neither you nor I understand well enough to comment on), but the unknowable is not something we can effectively deal with.

All this said, nothing I've said is stating that we shouldn't use what we commonly perceive as reality as a measuring stick.

But to Hegel's original point, we've found where theories have been found to be correct because we mis-appreciated "the facts" and so there is a place here in general where "what are the facts" can be a reasonable pragmatic exploration. In other words, practically speaking, disbelief isn't always a wrong thing or approach.

Oh, you're no fun anymore.

:D

Do it at a convention' date=' that'll surprise him. And you better hit hard; so he can't ignore your subjective perception of the objective reality of you hitting him with his subjective reality.[/quote']

LOL.

But maybe we're all just figments of your imagination...

But to Hegel's original point...in other words, practically speaking, disbelief isn't always a wrong thing or approach.

This reminded me of something from Popper.

From that bastion of truth: "Karl Popper (1902-1994) is generally credited with providing a context for major improvements in scientific method in the mid-to-late 20th century. In 1934 Popper published The Logic of Scientific Discovery which repudiated the classical observationalist-inductivist account of scientific method and advanced empirical falsifiability as the criterion for distinguishing scientific theory from non-science. "

But to Hegel's original point,

Hegel, on the other hand, should definitely have been hit over the head with a bamboo rod.

In other words, practically speaking, disbelief isn't always a wrong thing or approach.

Of course it isn't; on the other hand, it won't make much difference to an oncoming train.