Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

"Punk Rock Girl" came on the radio and it was mentioned to me about Dave Blood' date=' the bassist's passing. I hadn't realized that. It was suicide, here's an article on it - http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000460203 .[/quote']

Yeah, quite a while ago, too. :( I heard about it, I shoulda posted at the time.

On a side note, upon hearing "Punk Rock Girl", I realized why I don't bother with pop-punk much...it's become such a formula, post-Green Day's success (and no insult to them, they just did what they did, but like with everything else the corporate music bandwagon took it and created a few simple formula to now follow, from their sound to Rancid's sound to maybe 2 or 3 others (if that)), thus killing off the sense of fun and originality as evidenced by the Dead Milkmen, among so many others.

Well, I think Green Day redeemed themselves with American Idiot, but that's the only album of theirs I want to buy.

And it's criminal that Mojo Nixon doesn't have a hit single to his name. "Destroy All Lawyers" or "Elvis is Everywhere" alone should have put him into the limelight. Ah well...

Or "Jesus at McDonald's" or "Don Henley Must Die" or "I Ain't Gonna Piss In No Jar" or "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" (substitute Britney or Jessica Simpson and it's good to go)....

(PS note - reminds me too how many whiny punks I've known who don't like being "portrayed" as thieves as in the song above or as in Repo Man - no sense of humor).

Repo Man rules.

JG

On a side note' date=' upon hearing "Punk Rock Girl", I realized why I don't bother with pop-punk much...it's become such a formula, post-Green Day's success (and no insult to them, they just did what they did, but like with everything else the corporate music bandwagon took it and created a few simple formula to now follow, from their sound to Rancid's sound to maybe 2 or 3 others (if that)), thus killing off the sense of fun and originality as evidenced by the Dead Milkmen, among so many others. They weren't "great" players or even great songwriters, but their stuff soars above something like Good Charlotte or such, and moreover, more importantly, it reminds me when all those post-punk pop bands had their own ideas, their own PERSONALITY. Heck, the Dead Milkmen weren't really punk at all in terms of looks, they were just geeky guys who liked punk rock and had hung around it for a while, and liked music in general. Like the Meat Puppets, or like so many others. [/quote']

And lest we forget:

"Hey Jack, what's happenin'?"

"Uh... I dunno."

"Well, rumor around town says you might be goin' down to the shore."

"Yeah- I might be goin' down to the shore."

"Whaddya gonna do down there?"

"Uh- play some video games, buy some T-Shirts."

"Don't forget to buy your Motley Crue T-Shirts. You know all the proceeds go to get their lead singer outta jail.

"Uh.."

"Yeah, you could always go down- hey, you wanna check out a band while you're down there?"

"What band?"

"My favorite cover band, Crystal Shit."

"Who?"

"They do a Doors show, you'd be really impressed. In fact, it goes a little... like this...."

Love me two times baby

Love me twice today

Love me two times girl

Cause I got AIDS

Love me two times girl, once for tomorrow

Once cause I got AIDS

"Yeah, uh, pretty good Jim Morrison impression there- I hope those guys have a good sense of humor and don't take us into court."

"Uhh.. what's the court?"

"Uh, never mind, it-"

"You mean, like The People's Court?"

"Ah, not exactly. But this is the part of the song where you ask me how I'm getting down to the show."

"uh... how are you getting down to the show?"

"Funny you should ask, I got a car now."

"You're kidding. Where'd you get it."

"Ah, my folks drove it up here from the Bahamas."

"You're kidding."

"I must be kidding, the Bahamas are islands. But now's the part where you ask me what kinda car I got."

"So what kinda car DO you got?"

"I got a BITCHIN'.... CAMARO!"

1-2-3-4

Bitchin' Camaro, Bitchin' Camaro

I ran over my neighbor

Now I'm in all the papers

My folks bought me a bitchin' Camaro with Bermuda shorts to match

So if I happen to run you down please don't leave a scratch

I ran over some old lady one night at the county fair

And I didn't get arrested because my dad's the mayor

Donuts on your lawn

Tony Orlando and Dawn

When I drive past the kids they all spit and cuss

Cause I got a bitchin' Camaro and they have to ride the bus

So you better get outta my way when I drive through your yard

Cause I got a bitchin' Camaro and an Exxon credit card

"Hey man, where ya headed?"

Bitchin' Camaro, Bitchin Camaro

I'm drunk on unleaded!!

Guest Skaramine

If you're not living under their roof' date='[/quote']

I'm fucked.

are not asking them for money' date='[/quote']

Nope... but they're paying me $50 a captured mouse...

and are getting your bills paid' date='[/quote']

Finally I come out ahead...

I don't see how its any of their God-damn business... and you can tell them I told you to tell them that. :)

I'll keep it in reserve.

Or "Jesus at McDonald's" or "Don Henley Must Die" or "I Ain't Gonna Piss In No Jar" or "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" (substitute Britney or Jessica Simpson and it's good to go)....

Repo Man rules.

Yes it does. Two other songs: "Get out of my way" & "Burn down the Malls"

It does... but it always saddens me to see someone move away from something which is very self-affirming in a possitive way to something that is much less so. "Patron Saint of Mediocrity" glorifies... well... mediocrity' date=' while "A Trifecta of Coolness" glorifies excellence.[/quote']

Oh yeah, I meant to comment that I thought this was an unfair self-assessment.

Bitchin' Camero is a bitchin' song.

Yeah, they also have a great song, "Goin' to Graceland" which is a bit different from Paul Simon's ("we're goin' to see the bucket/ that Elvis Presley kicked!" - though in real life you can't, they don't let you upstairs, or, rather, at least they didn't used to as there was a family member living upstairs, she had just passed away when we visited there)

Lots of great Mojo tunes picked, JG and lemming! Some of those I don't know, I'm not as up on Mojo as I should be, it's just amazing out of what I know he hasn't gone further. I saw him way back in ~1984 opening for the Pogues, he was fairly unknown at that point, small audience, we didn't even see much of his show as we got there late. He was whacking the floor with an empty water bottle (the big kind) as a percussive instrument.

I don't understand people who feel it necessary to walk up an escalator. Going down I can see walking' date=' but up? How much of an overachiever must you be to walk up an escalator?[/quote']

What bugs me is when one is in a hurry, whether it's up or down escalator or an automated walkway, and people are lounging in the way and not standing to one side. About half the time I skip the automated walkways in airports just so as not to have to deal with people in the way.

Guest Skaramine

What bugs me is when one is in a hurry' date=' whether it's up or down escalator or an automated walkway, and people are lounging in the way and not standing to one side. About half the time I skip the automated walkways in airports just so as not to have to deal with people in the way.[/quote']

Relax, Godzookie. Save that pent-up energy for the jogging path and just let technology do its thing.

So... I'm guessing that you guys want me to change it back.

Pity, I kinda like it. Didn't you guys ever see the end of "Amadeus"? Where Salieri is talking to the young priest in the insane asylum...

"I will speak on your behalf, father. I speak for all mediocrity in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

So... I'm guessing that you guys want me to change it back.

Pity, I kinda like it. Didn't you guys ever see the end of "Amadeus"? Where Salieri is talking to the young priest in the insane asylum...

"I will speak on your behalf, father. I speak for all mediocrity in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Hey, do what you like, I just voiced my opinion is all. :)

Yeah, good reference, I didn't make that connection. But do you want to be associated with Salieri? :nonp:

100 pages later... and I still can't get back into writing.

It's a vicious cycle I tell you!

Hence the reason that when I hit writer's block on AtGoT, I started designing the trailer and the credits of the movie to be based on the book (I think big, don't I?)...

When I started talking to John about what I wanted animated for the trailer, it helped me re-write a scene or two...

Just a thought.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest Worldmaker

Considering that Salieri didn't actually kill Mozart, it's not that bad... beside, F. Murray Abraham won the Oscar, not Tom Hulce. :D

Besides, have you ever heard any of his music? Its actually quite good.

It's just not Mozart. Had Salieri composed at a time BEFORE Mozart, he would have been much more well-received.

I love the scene after Salieri's opera when Mozart comes down to say hello.

Salieri: "So, did my work please you?"

Mozart: *pause* "I never knew... sounds like that were possible."

Salieri: *cautiously* "You flatter me."

Mozart: "No, no. One hears such sounds, and what can one say, but 'Salieri'."

ImperialKhan is Mozart. I am Salieri.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest Skaramine

Hence the reason that when I hit writer's block on AtGoT, I started designing the trailer and the credits of the movie to be based on the book (I think big, don't I?)...

When I started talking to John about what I wanted animated for the trailer, it helped me re-write a scene or two...

Just a thought.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Thanks, Michelle.

Guest Skaramine

Salieri: "So, did my work please you?"

Mozart: *pause* "I never knew... sounds like that were possible."

Salieri: *cautiously* "You flatter me."

Mozart: "No, no. One hears such sounds, and what can one say, but 'Salieri'."

ImperialKhan is Mozart. I am Salieri.

Babe... if that doesn't scream to be in your signature... then I have no insight.

I've received five doses of rep for the Quarter in the New Circle thread... six doses if you count Oddhat sending me rep for just ANNOUNCING that I was making up the Fantastic Four for a crossover with his mystic Justice League.

I got a lot of rep out of the Incredibles thread, feels good, eh?