DMH: PHYs Lim: Hormonal

SKJAM!

DMH stands for "Do My Homework".

As several of you know, I'm helping Worldmaker out with the Master List of Limitations. Usually, I can come up with a paragraph or three within minutes. But "Physical Limitation: Hormonal" has me baffled. Dictionary.com only lists "hormonal" as "having to do with hormones" which is succint, but not helpful for my purposes. After all, pretty much all humans, higher animals and organic-biology aliens have hormones of one sort or another.

So I'm guessing that a slang definition of the word is going to be the one I need. Therefore, the question is, "what precisely do we mean by 'hormonal' in the context of a Physical Limitation?"

Thanks in advance,

SKJAM!

Re: DMH: PHYs Lim: Hormonal

I’m not sure if its official or not, but I tend to use the word “hormonal†to refer to moods brought on by my hormones being out of whack rather than what’s going on in the environment around me. Specifically, feeling either angry or depressed for no real reason.

I don't know...

Everything that comes to mind for me when I hear this one is something I would tell the player to take off their character sheet as either not worth points and / or not relevant to the game.

I want more detail than some one liner out of their disads.

And just what is 'hormonal' anyway? :stupid::joint::idjit:

I guess it could be looked at as a sort of Premenstrual Bi-Polarism kind of thing...

She's Hormonal ... in reference to the fact that the hormones have gone a bit off kilter, as is normal for the menstrual cycle, inducing bi-polar like qualities such as violent mood swings.

Also, of minor note, men also have a hormonal cycle similar to the female menstrual cycle, though the "Male PMS" factor is usually much much less pronounced, to the point of being unnoticed almost all the time.

Another take on Hormonal would be someone who constantly gives into their hormonal state - most commonly in the form of sexual intent, probably. A Hormonal individual is usually thinking with the "wrong head", in the case of men - but is certainly no less common in women.

Or possibly people who cry easily give into the hormonal state that would induce that. I think in this case Hormonal could be replaced by Emotional. They might always get angry, lovestruck, etc... I'm no expert but those behaviors may stem from hormonal imbalances - depression certainly does.

Perhaps you could have two closely related Phys. Lims: Emotional and Hormonal?

hope that helps a little.

[edit: spelling]

i feel it's to represent the medical condition brought about by a severe hormonal imbalance, this has been detected in some of your more violent and antisocial female prisoners, there was an example in the UK a few years ago, where a girl had an apparent mental breakdown at age 12, became increasingly violent, antisocial, and self mutilating, she eventually ended up in prison for the criminally insane where a doctor studying this phenomenen tested her and found she had a severe hormonal imbalance, and after treatment she was able to be released back into society, and has never re-offended.

After your helpful suggestions, and some thought, here's a draft:

Hormonal (Physical)

Infrequently, Slightly or Infrequently, Greatly

The character suffers from a slight hormonal imbalance, or from rapidly shifting hormones, with the result that he suffers uncontrolled mood swings. Stereotypically, this disadvantage is seen in early adolescence, particularly with girls. The character becomes irritable, depressed, horny or even blissful with little or no correlation to outside events.

The GM picks the mood swing the character will have and when it hits him, choosing either deliberately or by random roll. At the slightly limiting level, the new mood is equivalent to a Moderate-level Psychological Limitation. At the greatly limiting level, it's equivalent to a Strong-level Psych Lim.

Characters with this disadvantage may also have a Social Limitation related to their most frequent mood, especially at the Greatly limiting level.

(I'll leave Physical Limitation: Really Bad PMS for someone else to write, thanks.)

eh .. "Really Bad PMS" could just be at the Infrequently, Greatly level. Every 28 days or so they just go a bit psycho...

Nice write up BTW.

"Greatly"?!? That's the same disadvantage as Missing One Eye! Having an occasional mood swing in no way physically limits a character.

If you need to overemphasize PMS, you may as well go all-out and use Berserk "That Time Of The Month" (Uncommon).

edit: since we don't have a "sarcasm" smilie, just assume I've added one here.

"Greatly"?!? That's the same disadvantage as Missing One Eye! Having an occasional mood swing in no way physically limits a character.

If you need to overemphasize PMS, you may as well go all-out and use Berserk "That Time Of The Month" (Uncommon).

(Looks around to see if wife is around....then decides the comment isn't worth the potential she may someday see this....;)

Yes well ... I've met some people who might as well be berserk they're so off kilter.

Lucky for me my wife only gets cranky, mostly due to cramps, and doesn't so much have mood swings and just doesn't much want to do anything really. But then, constant cramps for several days would shut me down to.

hmmm, 'hormonal'....

As the human slave to a macaw (thats a new world parrot to those who don't know) 'breeding season' brings on very distinct and (oft) painful personality changes (just ask ANY parrot owner) that can best be described as 'hormonal'....urges kick in (sex), territorial-ness, agression, then in an instant(click): passive, gentle...(click): the former...on/off/on/off....and even BOTH AT ONCE !!!

it's a compressed rollercoaster ride for 3 months (and bloody fingers).......

I think a little internet research would help...DYH (double yellow head) or YN (yellow Nape) amazon MALE in breeding season would BE your prime example for this lim....

way WAY worse than humans females could ever be...but good for a 'alien' lim.

I don't know...

Everything that comes to mind for me when I hear this one is something I would tell the player to take off their character sheet as either not worth points and / or not relevant to the game.

I want more detail than some one liner out of their disads.

And just what is 'hormonal' anyway? :stupid::joint::idjit:

Hey, Arcady, I like your new avatar, definitely moreso than the prior one.

(pardon the tangent)