Gold, Silver, Modern or post-Modern...era of choice.

ParitySoul

I'm slightly curious about the era/style of play that you as a GM and alternativly like to play in. What is your 'group'?

Golden - JSA pre Crisis. Original Superman/Batman tropes.

Silver - Marvel invastion. Reinvisioning of Green Lantern, Flash into now reconizable concepts.

Modern - 80s to 90's dominate market of Image style comics. Post Crisis DC, and X-Men are king era.

post-Modern - Started with deconstruction of hero tropes. DC's new Focus line. Marvel's newer righters/artists and the company's recent alterations to the core concepts.

If you can think of an era that doesn't fit into these types, say DC's Vertigo style then fine. Post it.

Oh, me? I find myself slipping into the Modern era. But more from a Savage Dragon/TMNT style of play.

Re: Gold, Silver, Modern or post-Modern...era of choice.

Why limit yourself? Do 'em all at once :)

May sound insane but it kind of happens. My plots end up more iron-agey than I'd like, but hey, that's how I am. The PC heroes end up being all of the above, despite any specific recommendation I give the players. But it all works, and as long as everyone is having fun, I'm happy.

It's funny; Anthem is a very Silver-to-Bronze age character reacting to an Iron Age world. Uncle Slam is Silver, though I'd like him to be more Golden Age, I just can't seem to manage it. Audra Blue is very Iron Age; If she were in the field anymore she'd have no compunctions about shooting the occasinal guy just to let him know he should stop his evil way (Stopping short of murder which is always a last resort).

When I GM, it's almost always an optimistic Iron/Bronze Age world. Think DC's Vertigo line meets the Wild Cards Novels with plenty of Philip Jose Farmer, Robert Heinlein, and Roger Zelazny in the mix. People are real people (as close as I can get), Magic/Psychic Phenomena is real, physics is as close to real as I can manage while still allowing super powers. The Heroes will often but not always win, the Good Guys are trying to be Good, the Bad Guys either think that they are the Good Guys or don't think at all, and blowing up a few major buildings in Tokyo today means a world wide recession tomorrow.

I went through a hard Iron Age stage, but I got better. ;)

When I GM' date=' it's almost always an optimistic Iron/Bronze Age world. Think DC's Vertigo line meets the Wild Cards Novels with plenty of Philip Jose Farmer, Robert Heinlein, and Roger Zelazny in the mix. People are real people (as close as I can get), Magic/Psychic Phenomena is real, physics is as close to real as I can manage while still allowing super powers. The Heroes will often but not always win, the Good Guys are trying to be Good, the Bad Guys either think that they are the Good Guys or don't think at all, and blowing up a few major buildings in Tokyo today means a world wide recession tomorrow.[/quote']

I'd love to play in your game!

I have somewhat similar leanings when I GM. I like gritty and realistic, but not Image-style gritty, all guns and martial arts. I tend to Wild Cards too, with a small group of decent-but-flawed heroes in a pretty "real" world. That is what I like, not always what my players give me, though. There is always the occasional White Wolf gamer who wants to play a psychopath, there is always the anime fan...

When I do Silver/Bronze Age, I try to do Astro City-like Silver Age, or ABC Comics Silver Age. I'd call it Silver Age with a twist and more psychology. But boy, is it hard to do! I've learned that you gotta have players with a similar knowledge in comics to pull it off. If it's hard to seduce the White Wolfers and the Anime fans into gritty Wild Cards game, it's even harder to do it in this style.

My current campaign is modelled on the concepts in the Spider-Man movie. Marvel Silver Age type characters but with modern explanations for their powers - nanotech, man/machine interface, lots n' lots of genetic modification etc. I've found I've also been rather influenced by Warren Ellis's Authority and Planetary which was completely unintentional. Ellis's ideas are somewhat similar though - classic characters but with a modern twist.