Power Man (SuperMan/Capt Marval wannabe)

Guest Confusinator

Guest Confusinator

Hard to even think about making the Man of Steel in 350 pts, but here is what I think would be a decent start.

Power Man

Player: Donald

Val Char Cost
55 STR -2
18 DEX 3
21 CON -4
15 BODY -4
13 INT 3
13 EGO -4
20 PRE -3
18 COM 0
20 PD 0
20 ED 0
6 SPD 2
16 REC 0
50 END 0
55 STUN 1
6" RUN02" SWIM010 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -8

Cost Power END
Powers of the Olympians, all slots: Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: Must declare, "The power of Apollo, protect me.", then in a great big light show, he is converted into Power Man]
38 1) Stronger than a locomotive: +47 STR (47 Active Points) (added to Primary Value) 5
17 2) Faster than a Speeding Bullet: +7 DEX (21 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
21 3) Invinsible: +13 CON (26 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
11 4) Invinsible: +7 BODY (14 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
8 5) Strong Character: +5 EGO (10 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
3 6) And damn good looking too: +8 COM (4 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
10 7) Impressive: +13 PRE (13 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
9 8) Invinsible: +9 PD, Hardened (+1/4) (11 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
15 9) Invinsible: +15 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
24 10) Faster than a Speeding Bullet: +3 SPD (30 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
3 11) Stronger than a locomotive: +8 END (4 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)
24 12) Invinsible: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points)
24 13) Invinsible: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points)
20 14) Invinsible: Damage Resistance (20 PD / 20 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (25 Active Points)
6 15) Super Vision: Telescopic +5 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (8 Active Points)
28 16) Super Flight: Flight 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x4)) (35 Active Points) 3
8 17) Invinsible: Knockback Resistance -5" (10 Active Points)
4 18) Invinsible: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense (5 Active Points)
15 19) Invinsible: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 288

Cost Skill
Reporter
2 1) PS: Print News Reporter 11-
2 2) KS: Current Events 11-
3 3) Bureaucratics 13-
3 4) Streetwise 13-
2 5) AK: City of Choice 11-
3 6) Conversation 13-
3 7) Deduction 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
1 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
1 Computer Programming 8-
0 Paramedics 8-
10 +2 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 33

Cost Perk
2 Access [Notes: Major Daily Newspaper]
Perks Cost: 2

Cost Talent
35 Danger Sense (15-) (Area: General Area, Function as a Sense, Sensitivity: Out of Combat)
Talents Cost: 35

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
20 Psychological Limitation: Hero's Code, Common, Total [Notes: Work to your utmost to uphold the law at all times. Never lie, cheat, or swear. Drink nothing stronger than soda pop and chocolate milk. Don't smoke. Protect anyone weaker than yourself, and always try to be a good example to the kids.]
20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing, Common, Total
10 Psychological Limitation: Cheerful Charlie, Common, Moderate [Notes: never has an ill word about anyone, greets everyone with a cheerful "Good morning/afternoon/evening". He always has a pleasant comment or amusing anecdote.]
15 Social Limitation: Held to a Higher Standard, Frequently (11-), Major [Notes: Power Man has become known for his heroic ways, and, as such, is expected to protect the city at all times.]
25 Social Limitation: Secret Identity, Very Frequently (14-), Severe
10 Social Limitation: Well Known Capabilities, Frequently (11-), Minor [Notes: Power Man is very popular, and, because of this, there has been much media attention given to him. Many people know his abilities, because he is so well known.]
10 Hunted: Gods of Olympus, More Powerful, 11- (Frequently), Watching
20 Vulnerability: Lightning, Common, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x Effect) [Notes: To insure that Power Man would not become too powerful for the Gods to control, Zeus commanded that Power Man be more vulnerable to the Thunder Bolts he is fond of throwing.]
20 Susceptibility: Ambrosia, Uncommon, 2d6 damage, per Phase [Notes: Ambrosia has the ability to drain the power granted to him by the Gods. It also drains his life force in the process.]

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Guest Confusinator

BTW

The output doesn't display the stats when he is no in hero id, which is why you see some negative number costs by the characteristics. The stats reflected here are after he turns into Power Man. During his normal phase, he's a fairly average joe.

Guest Confusinator

Background

BACKGROUND

Stephen Lerouche was a reporter for a popular travel magazine. While on assignment in Greece, he was kidnapped by Greek rebels who transported him to a secluded cave near Mt Mytikas (long believed to be the Mt Olympus of legend) in northern Greece.

When his kidnappers became drunk on Ouzo, Stephen was able to escape into the countryside. He quickly became lost, and found himself stumbling into an ancient temple ruins. It was while he was hiding and resting here that he caught the attention of the Ancient Gods of Olympus.

Long removed from mankind, the Gods decided it would be interesting to see how things have progressed without their influence. After much discussion, it was decided that Apollo would be tasked with the exploration.

Apollo appeared before Stephen just as the kidnappers approached the temple. Time seemed to stop as Apollo introduced himself to Stephen, and told him that he had been chosen to serve the Gods in their latest endeavor. He imbued Stephen will a small part of his powers, and commanded him to represent Apollo among his people.

Stephen thought he was hallucinating, but then he noticed his kidnappers were running away from him. Without realizing it, he was flying through the air chasing them down. They fired their guns at him, but the bullets bounced off him. That was when he realized that his body had changed; taller, more masculine, and wearing an amazing costume.

Stephen easily captured his kidnappers, and over the course of the next few months came to grips with his new powers. While still an easy-going, pleasant person, Stephen is also now filled with a strong sense of right and wrong, and the obsession to protect the law and the weak. His deeds while in the persona of Power Man quickly gained him much popularity among the media and the public. It was not long before the masses expected Power Man to save them from whatever danger threatened them.

Meanwhile, the Gods watch from their perch and try to understand this new world.

PERSONALITY/MOTIVATION

In his normal persona as Stephen Lerouche, he is a pleasant person, always polite and happy-go-lucky. He works for the local newspaper, originally assigned to the life and leisure section, but, surprising to many of his coworkers, he now works the crime beat. He has stunned his editors with some of his most recent work, creating incredible stories of the deeds of Power Man. His stories have become extremely powerful, and he is always under pressure to produce more.

His editors believe he has a personal connection to Power Man, but they do not question him about it, so long as he continues to produce. His pleasant manner is in stark contrast to the jaded reporters he works with, and often makes him the butt of their crass jokes, but, overall, he gets along with those who knows him.

He is especially respected for his commitment (some people say obsession) with bringing the corrupt to justice. Many believe this is why his path crosses Power Man's so often, disbelieving that someone as powerful as Power Man would have anything to do with someone as...pleasant...as Stephen.

Of course, this drive for justice is what motivates both personas. Stephen is infused with the need to deliver justice and to act in a morally upstanding way. He uses his connections in his normal persona to help root out all traces of evil and deliver them to justice. He also spends a great deal of time protecting the population of the city, who he considers as his wards.

Remember Johnny, evil flourishes where good men fail to act.

sure, it's just one point, but...

You could shave off some points by getting rid of his Transport Familiarity. :D Seriously, he should, IMHO, have that available as an everyman skill.

That being said, love the writeup. Also, speaking of doing Supes on 350 or less, I remember seeing a writeup on him in 'EZHero' but it was based off of his original concept as it appeared in the VERY first comics featuring the Man of Steel.

Originally posted by Supreme

I don't know if you know this or not, but the first Superman imitator to be sued out of existence by DC was a character named "Powerman." He lasted for one issue before the powers that be at DC brought suit. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

DC was always bad about that. They drove Captain "Shazam" Marvel out, only to pick him up as a licensed character in the 70's. They even went (unsuccessfully) after The Greatest American Hero, although his origin and modus operandi were closer to Green Lantern, but they claimed infringement on Supes. I guess If you're a flying brick with a cape, DC thinks you're a Superman ripoff.

Guest Confusinator

DOH

Originally posted by Supreme

I don't know if you know this or not, but the first Superman imitator to be sued out of existence by DC was a character named "Powerman." He lasted for one issue before the powers that be at DC brought suit. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I did not know that. In all honesty, I was never a big DC fan, so my recollection of Superman is mostly from TV and the movies.

I wanted to make this character, mainly because, I don't see this type of character motivation in many of the games I play or observer. I want to play a genuine good guy and see the dust fly. I don't think this guy would last one session in my last Champ's group without him either beating his cohorts into line, or them trying to find a way to have him offed.

For me, when I think of an All American Hero, he has to be a brick. Projectors just don't do it for me, and martial artists? Please!

And before the super soldiers start the flames, I am differentiating between an All American Hero and a American Soldier Hero. To me they are similar, yet sufficiently different to fall into a different classification.

Nice job on Power Man (but watch out for Luke Cage if he decides he wants his name back). :)

One little mistake I noticed: when you buy Hardened for your PD and ED you have to pay the cost of the advantage for your base PD and ED too. You don't have to do that for Power Man if you only want to harden the extra defenses (+9 PD and +11 ED), but since you hardened your full Dmamage Resistance, I'm guessing you want him to have 20 PD and 20 ED hardened. It'll only cost you 5 more points.

Originally posted by Law Dog

DC was always bad about that. They drove Captain "Shazam" Marvel out, only to pick him up as a licensed character in the 70's. They even went (unsuccessfully) after The Greatest American Hero, although his origin and modus operandi were closer to Green Lantern, but they claimed infringement on Supes. I guess If you're a flying brick with a cape, DC thinks you're a Superman ripoff.

Well, some of these things are a little hard to take in their historical context, given all that's come since, and all that we've become accustomed to. In the case of Captain Marvel, I believe that there was a situation where the publisher told the artist, "make me a Superman character." That's a case of blatent infringement with intent to do same.

Keep in mind that before Supes, there were no other characters even remotely like him. As close as you got were some costumed pulp adventurers like the Shadow, the Green Hornet, and the Phantom. None of these guys had super-powers per se (the Shadow could hypnotise people into not seeing him, but this was explained as something everyone would eventually be able to do, so it was not "officially" super-human). These days flying bricks are a dime a dozen. Then there was only one.

I can also see the case against the Greatest American Hero. In the first season, he had the costume, he had super-strength, flight, invulnerability, super-speed, and "holographic vision." That's pretty close to the original. Also keep in mind that this was in the medium of TV, not comics. The main basis for copyright infringement (IIRC) is making a character that can be easily associated with an existing, copyrighted character. On TV at that point, there were practically no other super-heroes, much less any with that particular set of abilities.

It's one thing if you have a costumed character who's really strong and tough. That's just a modern Hercules, which is what Siegel and Shuster were attempting to do, anyway. However, adding in things like flight, speed, and enhanced senses, then you really are taking your "inspiration" from a particular source.

At the risk of really annoying Supreme.

May I present for your entertaimnent....

Supreme

Name: Supreme

Alternate IDs: Matthew John Brannock

Player:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Val Char Roll Notes

80 STR 25- HTH Damage 16d6 END [4]

23 DEX 14- OCV 8 DCV 8

30 CON 15-

15 BODY 12-

13 INT 12- Perception Roll: 12-

14 EGO 12- Base ECV: 5

20 PRE 13- Base Presence Attack: 4d6

18 COM 13-

30 PD

26 ED

6 SPD

22 REC Run: 19"

70 END Swim: 13"

70 STUN Leap: 15 1/2"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disadvantages Pts

Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor, Very Common, Strong 20

Psychological Limitation: Overconfident, Common, Strong 15

Psychological Limitation: Will not leave an innocent in danger, Common, Moderate 10

Psychological Limitation: Doesn't trust Politicians, Uncommon, Moderate 5

Social Limitation: Secret Identity - Matthew John "MJ" Brannock, Frequently (11-), Major 15

Susceptibility: Exposure to Radium, Uncommon, 2d6 damage, per Turn 15

Dependent NPC: Meg Riker - Newspaper Reporter - lover, Normal, 11- (Occasionally), Useful noncombat position or skills, Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID 15

Dependent NPC: Lieutenant Alexander Brannock USN - younger brother, Normal, 8- (Infrequently), Useful noncombat position or skills 5

Dependent NPC: Nick Diamond, P.I. - best friend, Slightly Less Powerful than the PC, 11- (Occasionally), Useful noncombat position or skills 5

Dependent NPC: Auroura Astrid, Supermodel - ex-lover and stuck-up bitch, Normal, 8- (Infrequently), Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID 15

Hunted: Mechanon, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish 15

Hunted: Tachyon, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Mildly Punish 5

Hunted: Firewing, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Mildly Punish 10

Weaknesses [Notes: Supreme's weaknesses are as follows: 1st.) all his superhuman powers and abilities are at 1/2 power vs. magical foes (- 1/2); 2nd.) they are at 1/4 power when exposed to Radium (- 1/4); and 3rd.) he begins to lose power when he is away from the Sol system at a rate of 5 active points per day, going to a minimum of 3 active for characteristics and 10 active for powers, round up ( -1/4).] 0

XP

Base : 200

Disads : +150

XP Spent : +0

Total = 350

44 : Characteristics Cost

278 + Powers Cost

28 + Martial Arts/Skills/Perks/Talents Cost

350 = Total Cost

Pts. Power/Skill/Perk/Talent END

Powers

42 +68 STR, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (85 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value) 3

16 +11 DEX (33 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value)

18 +18 CON (36 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value)

4 +4 BODY (8 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value)

7 +14 PD (14 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value)

10 +20 ED (20 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value)

15 +3 SPD (30 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) (added to Primary Value)

14 Damage Resistance (30 PD / 26 ED) (28 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

15 Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

15 Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

7 Super Physiology: Power Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

5 Super Will: Mental Defense (13 points total) (10 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

5 X-Ray Vision: N-Ray Perception (10 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

7 Telescopic Vision: Telescopic +10 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (15 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

2 Ultraviolet Vision: Ultraviolet Perception (5 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

1 Ultrasonic Hearing: Ultrasonic Perception (3 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

6 High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points); OAF (-1)

15 Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Longevity: 200 Years, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing) (30 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

37 Movement Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: , Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

1u 1) Flight 5", Megascale (1" = 100 km; +3/4) (17 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1) 1

3u 2) Flight 25" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x8)) (60 Active Points) 3

1u 3) Running +13" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x4)) (31 Active Points) (added to Primary Value) 2

1u 4) Swimming +11" (13" total) (Improved Noncombat Movement (x4)) (16 Active Points) (added to Primary Value) 1

25 Eye Beams & Super Breath: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); Weaknesses (-1)

2u 1) Heat Vision: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED) (50 Active Points) 5

2u 2) Laser Vision: Killing Attack - Ranged 3 d6 +1 (vs. ED) (50 Active Points) 5

1u 3) Super Breath Shove: Telekinesis (20 STR) (30 Active Points); Only to push objects away (-1), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 3

1u 4) Super Breath Blow Away: Dispel 7d6: Flames or gases, Explosion (Cone -1 DC/2"; +1/2) (31 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 3

Skills

5 PS: Writer 14-

2 KS: High Technology 11-

2 KS: The Cold War 11-

3 KS: Science Fiction 12-

2 WF: Small Arms

3 High Society 13-

7 Gambling (Board Games, Card Games, Craps, Roulette) 12-

1 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 8-

2 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

Perks

1 Money (Well Off)

Base OCV: 8 Base DCV: 8 Base ECV: 5

Adjustment + Adjustment + Adjustment +

Final OCV: Final DCV: Final ECV:

Combat Maneuvers

Name Phase OCV DCV Effect

Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, Abort

Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.

Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm

Dodge 1/2 --- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks

Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs

Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab

Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4DC to attack

Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5

Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3

Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged attacks only

Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon

Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128

RMod 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

DEX: 23 SPD: 6 ECV: 5

Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

30 PD (30 rPD) 26 ED (26 rED) MD: 13

END: 70 STUN: 70 BODY: 15

Roll Location STUNx NSTUN BODYx To Hit

3-5 Head x5 x2 x2 -8

6 Hands x1 x1/2 x1/2 -6

7-8 Arms x2 x1/2 x1/2 -5

9 Shoulders x3 x1 x1 -5

10-11 Chest x3 x1 x1 -3

12 Stomach x4 x1.5 x1 -7

13 Vitals x4 x1.5 x2 -8

14 Thighs x2 x1 x1 -4

15-16 Legs x2 x1/2 x1/2 -6

17-18 Feet x1 x1/2 x1/2 -8

Height: 6' 3" Hair: Dark Brown

Weight: 225 lbs Eyes: Blue

Appearance: Matt has always been a pretty well-balanced guy, He has a ready smile and a boyish sense of humor. However in the coming months that will change as the full weight of responsibility hits him. A 35 year old bachelor Matt lives in a 6-room apartment on the second floor of an older brownstone in Millennium City (a survivor from Detriot) at 1318B Harrison Avenue; he also owns a small 2-room cabin in the Colorado Rockies that he has nicknamed the "Fortress of Solitude". Matt's best friend is his upstairs neighbor, Nick Diamond; he is also friends with his agent, Sam Ried and his editor over ar Cornet Publishing, Jamie Axton. He also gets along well with his younger brother Alex a navy pilot stationed at nearby Port Huron N.A.S.

Background: Matt Brannock had done well for himself, his "Orion's Blade" series of novels had a loyal readership of over a million worldwide, his affair with Auroura Astrid had ended badly but he had a new relationship with Meg Riker showed a lot of promise and his first attempt at a cold war spy thriller "Assignment: Havana" had just hit the New York Times bestseller list. He had gone off on vacation to his cabin in the Colorado Rockies and that's where things started to get wierd. While hiking one day Matt came across a fellow been cornered by a cougar. Levering a shell into the chamber of the .44-40 Winchester that he always carried in the Rockies Matt finished the big mountain cat with a single shot before the cat could tear into the other man.

The man that Matt had saved claimed that he was not from this world and that in gratitude for saving him from the cougar he would grant Matt anything that he could desire. Convinced that the man was a harmless loon, Matt decided to humor him. "I'd like to be Superman." he said. The Other looked at him and replied "That can be arranged." He then led Matt to his ship. Matt was shocked as he realized that this was for real, he was even more shocked when his alien friend came back out and shot him.

Matt came to in his cabin laying on his own bed, there was a note on the kitchen table explaining that the Other (Matt's name for the alien) had taken Matt to his homeworld where the human had undergone genetic re-structuring. It had been necessary to stun him least he learn the homeworld's location. Matt now possessed many of the powers of Superman, but at a somewhat lower power level than the fictional hero. While he was trying to adjust to all this Matt had turned on the TV. When the news came on the newscast date jumped out at him, over a month had passed since he had rescued the Other. All this could wait he had to get back home.

As he packed Matt discovered the Other's last gift to him, three identical colorful costumes reminiscent of that of the Man of Steel. As he drove home Matt realized that his comfortable life had come to an end. But the adventures of Supreme were just begining.

And his entourage....

Character Name: Meghan "Meg" Riker

Alternate Identities:

Player Name: DNPC

CHARACTERISTICS

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

9 STR 10 -1 9 11- HTH Damage 1 1/2d6 END [2]

11 DEX 10 3 11 11- OCV 4 DCV 4

13 CON 10 6 13 12-

9 BODY 10 -2 9 11-

13 INT 10 3 13 12- Perception Roll: 12-

13 EGO 10 6 13 12- Base ECV: 4

13 PRE 10 3 13 12- Base Presence Attack: 2 1/2d6

16 COM 10 3 16 12-

4 PD 2 2 4 4 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 3 0 3 3 ED (0 rED)

2 SPD 2.1 0 2 Phases: 6, 12

5 REC 5 0 5

26 END 26 0 26

20 STUN 21 -1 20

7" Running 6" 2 7"

2" Swimming 2" 0 2"

2" Leaping 2" 0 1 1/2" 24 Total Characteristics Points

CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Total earned: 0

Spent: 0

Unspent: 0

Base Points: 50

Disad Points: 30

Total Points: 80

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6") 7"

Swim (2") 2"

H. Leap (2") 1 1/2"

V. Leap (1") 0 1/2"

DEFENSES

Type Amount

Physical Defense 4

Res. Phys. Defense 0

Energy Defense 3

Res. Energy Defense 0

Mental Defense 0

Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 4 DCV: 4

Combat Skill Levels:

COMBAT MANEUVERS

Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect

Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort

Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks

Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage

Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only

Martial Strike - Kung Fu Punch 1/2 +0 +2 STR +2d6 Strike

Martial Block - Kung Fu Block 1/2 +2 +2 Block, Abort

Martial Throw - Kung Fu Throw 1/2 +0 +1 STR +v/5, Target Falls

COMBAT MODIFIERS

RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

Targeting shot OCV Hit Location

Head shot (Head to Shoulders) -4 1d6+3

High shot (Head to Vitals) -2 2d6+1

Body shot (Hands to Legs) -1 2d6+4

Low shot (Shoulders to Feet) -2 2d6+7

Leg shot (Vitals to Feet) -4 1d6+12

Alternate Identities:

SKILLS

Cost Name

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Combat Driving 11-

3 Persuasion 12-

4 PS: Reporter (INT-based) 13-

2 Language: Spanish: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points); 2 pts of Similarity (-1/2)

2 AK: Millennium City 11-

2 KS: Millennium City Politics 11-

1 KS: Millennium City Police 8-

1 KS: Millennium City's Hispanic Community 8-

3 +1 with Bureaucratics, Conversation and PS- Reporter

3 Breakfall 11-

2 KS: Kung Fu 11-

34 Total Skills Cost

PERKS

Cost Name

4 Contact: Mike O'Donnell - Political Hot Shot (11-) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has: useful Skills or resources)

7 Contact: Samantha Travers - Lt. MCPD (11-) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact)

11 Total Perks Cost

MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS

Cost Maneuver

4 Martial Strike - Kung Fu Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike

4 Martial Block - Kung Fu Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

3 Martial Throw - Kung Fu Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls

11 Total Martial Arts Cost

Alternate Identities:

DISADVANTAGES

Cost Disadvantage

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima: No Age Restriction

15 Psychological Limitation: Curiosity, Common, Strong

10 Psychological Limitation: Must scoop other reporters, Common, Moderate

5 Hunted: Jealous Co-workers, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Mildly Punish

30 Total Disadvantages Cost

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Light Brown

Eye Color: Grey

Height: 5' 8"

Weight: 127 lbs

Description:

BACKGROUND

Meg is considered to be one of the rising stars of Millennium City journalism. She started with the paper at age 22 just out of Dartmouth College which she attended on a full scholarship. Her expose on Campus Binge-Drinking is considered to be one of the best works of collegiate investigative journalism ever. She was first assigned to the Hispanic Desk and did very well. Her article on youth gangs within the Hispanic community earned her a transfer to the Police Desk after two years. While there Meg wrote a series of articles about the Police Academy and actually went through several courses as part of her research. The series earned her considerable noteriety and she remains good friends with Sam Travers who was one of her instructors. Last year Meg was moved over to the Political Desk, a particularly plum assignment for her as no reporter with less than 10 years experience has ever been assigned to the Political Desk before.

There is a rumor (started by two jealous co-workers) that Meg gets her stories through sex. If she outlasts her partners (male or female) then they have to tell her everthing she wants to know. They say it's how she was able to do her gang expose without winding up in Lake St. Clair with her throat slit.

Character Name: Alexander Brannock, Lieut. USN

Alternate Identities:

CHARACTERISTICS

13 STR 10 3 13 12- HTH Damage 2 1/2d6 END [3]

13 DEX 10 9 13 12- OCV 4 DCV 4

14 CON 10 8 14 12-

11 BODY 10 2 11 11-

10 INT 10 0 10 11- Perception Roll: 11-

13 EGO 10 6 13 12- Base ECV: 4

12 PRE 10 2 12 11- Base Presence Attack: 2d6

12 COM 10 1 12 11-

5 PD 3 2 5 5 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 3 0 3 3 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 2.3 17 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 6 0 6

28 END 28 0 28

25 STUN 25 0 25

6" Running 6" 0 6"

2" Swimming 2" 0 2"

3" Leaping 3" 0 2 1/2" 50 Total Characteristics Points

CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Base Points: 50

Disad Points: 45

Total Points: 95

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6") 6"

Swim (2") 2"

H. Leap (3") 2 1/2"

V. Leap (1") 1"

DEFENSES

Type Amount

Physical Defense 5

Res. Phys. Defense 0

Energy Defense 3

Res. Energy Defense 0

Mental Defense 0

Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 4 DCV: 4

Combat Skill Levels: +1 with Aircraft weapons

COMBAT MANEUVERS

COMBAT MODIFIERS

RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

Alternate Identities:

SKILLS

Cost Name

5 Combat Piloting 13-

15 TF: Combat Aircraft, Hanggliding, Helicopters, Large Military Ships, Large Motorized Boats, Large Planes, Large Rowed Boats, Large Wind-Powered Boats, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, Small Military Ships, Small Motorized Boats, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Planes, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats

5 Gambling (Card Games, Craps, Roulette) 11-

5 Tactics - Naval Aerial Tactics 12-

1 KS: Naval History 8-

2 SS: Aeronautical Engineering 11-

4 WF: Naval Aircraft Weapons, Small Arms

1 KS: General Military Strategy 8-

3 +1 with Aircraft weapons

41 Total Skills Cost

MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS

Cost Maneuver

4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 Total Martial Arts Cost

Alternate Identities:

DISADVANTAGES

Cost Disadvantage

10 Psychological Limitation: Hatred vs. Red Chinese, Uncommon, Strong

5 Hunted: Capt. Wu Fang Choi, Air Force of the Peoples Republic of China, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Mildly Punish, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find

10 Physical Limitation: Subject to Orders, Infrequently, Greatly Impairing

20 Psychological Limitation: Pledged to Defend the United States, Common, Total

45 Total Disadvantages Cost

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Black

Eye Color: Blue

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 173 lbs

Description:

BACKGROUND

In June of 1973, in a skirmish with Viet Cong aircraft east of Lao Cai, Lt. Cmdr. Richard Brannock's F-4 was shot down by a pair of Red Chinese Migs that strayed across the border. The plane crashed just inside China, no parachute was seen, Commander Brannock was listed as missing - presumed dead and the whole affair was hushed up in light of the ongoing Paris Peace Talks. Three months later Alexander Brannock was born.

As he grew up Alex idolized the father he never knew, all his older brother Matt had to say to get him to stop doing something was to say "Dad wouldn't like that." And Alex was never happier than when his Mother would say "Your Father would be so proud of you."

When he was 16 Alex learned the truth about his father's death. He didn't blame the government, no with a chance to end the war that was ripping the nation apart he understood why his father's memory was sacraficed. Nor did he blame the Viet Cong, after all they were at war. No, Alex blamed the Red Chinese bastards who crossed national borders whenever they felt like it and stuck their noses into other peoples fights. Alex has hated the Reds ever since.

His father's death had qualified Alex to attend the Naval Academy and in June of 1991 Alex began his plebe year at Annapolis. He graduated with honors in 1995 and went directly into the Fleet Fighter Pilot training program. He served a two year deployment aboard the USS Nimitz, then a special assignment at the Paris Air Show in 1999 where he humiliated Lt. Wu Fang Choi, followed by a posting to the USS Carl A. Vinson. Five months ago he was assigned to the Port Huron Naval Air Station. Alex is biding his time, hoping for a shot at the Navy's Fighter Weapons Training School at Miramar California better known as "Top Gun".

Character Name: Nick Diamond

Alternate Identities:

CHARACTERISTICS

15 STR 10 5 15 12- HTH Damage 3d6 END [3]

14 DEX 10 12 14 12- OCV 5 DCV 5

15 CON 10 10 15 12-

12 BODY 10 4 12 11-

13 INT 10 3 13 12- Perception Roll: 12-

11 EGO 10 2 11 11- Base ECV: 4

15 PRE 10 5 15 12- Base Presence Attack: 3d6

12 COM 10 1 12 11-

5 PD 3 2 5 5 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 3 0 3 3 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 2.4 6 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 6 0 6

30 END 30 0 30

30 STUN 28 2 30

6" Running 6" 0 6"

2" Swimming 2" 0 2"

3" Leaping 3" 0 3" 52 Total Characteristics Points

CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Base Points: 75

Disad Points: 60

Total Points: 135

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6") 6"

Swim (2") 2"

H. Leap (3") 3"

V. Leap (2") 1 1/2"

DEFENSES

Type Amount

Physical Defense 5

Res. Phys. Defense 0

Energy Defense 3

Res. Energy Defense 0

Mental Defense 0

Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels: +1 with All Combat

COMBAT MANEUVERS

Direct 1/2 +1 +3 STR Strike

Low Kick 1/2 +0 +2 STR +2d6 Strike

Block 1/2 +2 +2 Block, Abort

Footsweep 1/2 +2 -1 STR +1d6 Strike, Target Falls

COMBAT MODIFIERS

RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

Alternate Identities:

SKILLS

Cost Name

2 AK: Huron/Erie Area 11-

2 AK: Millennium City 11-

1 AK: Toledo 8-

1 Bureaucratics 8-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Criminology 12-

3 Deduction 12-

2 KS: Millennium City Underworld 11-

1 KS: Savate 8-

3 PS: Private Investigator (INT-based) 12-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

8 +1 with All Combat

3 TF: Skiing (water), Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

43 Total Skills Cost

PERKS

Cost Name

4 Fringe Benefit (Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Private Investigator License)

6 Money (Wealthy)

14 Assorted Contacts

24 Total Perks Cost

EQUIPMENT

Equipment END

Colt King Cobra .357 magnum revolver: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (vs. PD), Required Hands (One-Handed; +0), +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (11; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 4 Clips of 6 Charges (-1/4)

MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS

Cost Maneuver

5 Direct: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR Strike

4 Low Kick: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

3 Footsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +1d6 Strike, Target Falls

16 Total Martial Arts Cost

Alternate Identities:

DISADVANTAGES

Cost Disadvantage

15 Hunted: Mr. King and his organization, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find

10 Hunted: Loan Shark he sent up, Less Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find

5 Reputation: Tough Guy, Sometimes (8-)

15 Psychological Limitation: Personal Code: Always protect clients and never kill except in Defense, Common, Strong

15 Psychological Limitation: Always sees a job through, Common, Strong

60 Total Disadvantages Cost

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Brown

Eye Color: Brown

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 190 lbs

Description:

BACKGROUND

Nick is a third generation private eye. His grandfather, Blake Diamond operated in Chicago during the mid to late 20s before moving to San Fransisco in 1930. He married his secretary Jessica Lord in 1928 and they had one child in 1931.

Sam Diamond followed in his father's footsteps after getting out of the Army in 1955. Sam operated in the Greater Miami area throughout the 50s, 60s and 70s. In 1967 he married millionairess Kit Forester, Nick was born three years later. In 1982 Sam was murdered by Al Mungar, an ex-con that he had put away 20 years earlier. Blake came out of retirement to bring Mungar in aided by Sam's friend Waldo "The Horse" Gronsky.

Blake and Jessica moved to Florida and helped Kit raise Nick who grew up on his grandfather's stories of Chicago during Prohibition and Frisco in the 30s. Blake and Jess died just weeks apart in 1988. They say that Blake died of a broken heart after he lost Jessica, but Nick isn't so sure.

In 1993 Nick moved to the newly re-named Millennium City to open the latest version of Diamond Investigations. Kit has since moved to Palm Beach.

Character Name: Auroura Astrid

Alternate Identities:

CHARACTERISTICS

8 STR 10 -2 8 11- HTH Damage 1 1/2d6 END [2]

10 DEX 10 0 10 11- OCV 3 DCV 3

11 CON 10 2 11 11-

8 BODY 10 -4 8 11-

10 INT 10 0 10 11- Perception Roll: 11-

11 EGO 10 2 11 11- Base ECV: 4

13 PRE 10 3 13 12- Base Presence Attack: 2 1/2d6

26 COM 10 11 26 14-

2 PD 2 0 2 2 PD (0 rPD)

2 ED 2 0 2 2 ED (0 rED)

2 SPD 2.0 0 2 Phases: 6, 12

4 REC 4 0 4

22 END 22 0 22

18 STUN 18 0 18

6" Running 6" 0 6"

2" Swimming 2" 0 2"

2" Leaping 2" 0 1 1/2" 12 Total Characteristics Points

CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Base Points: 25

Disad Points: 40

Total Points: 65

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6") 6"

Swim (2") 2"

H. Leap (2") 1 1/2"

V. Leap (1") 0 1/2"

DEFENSES

Type Amount

Physical Defense 2

Res. Phys. Defense 0

Energy Defense 2

Res. Energy Defense 0

Mental Defense 0

Power Defense 0

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 3 DCV: 3

Combat Skill Levels: +2 with shotguns

COMBAT MANEUVERS

COMBAT MODIFIERS

RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

Alternate Identities:

SKILLS

Cost Name

2 AK: Hot Nightspots around the World 11-

7 PS: Model 16-

6 KS: Fashion 15-

3 KS: Modeling Agents 12-

3 High Society 12-

3 Seduction 12-

4 TF: Equines, Hanggliding, Skiing (snow), Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

2 WF: Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns

6 +2 with shotguns

2 KS: Skeet shooting 11-

38 Total Skills Cost

PERKS

Cost Name

10 Money (Wealthy)

3 Fringe Benefit (International Driver's License, Passport, Weapon Permit (where appropriate))

1 Favor

1 Favor

15 Total Perks Cost

Alternate Identities:

DISADVANTAGES

Cost Disadvantage

15 Hunted: Paparazzi, Less Powerful, 11- (Frequently), Mildly Punish, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Extensive Non-Combat Influence

15 Social Limitation: Public ID - Famous Model, Very Frequently (14-), Minor

10 Distinctive Features: Incredible Beauty, Easily Concealed, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

40 Total Disadvantages Cost

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Light Brown

Eye Color: Hazel

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 128 lbs

Description:

BACKGROUND

Auroura Astrid has been the public's darling since she was 17 years old, everyone told her so. She makes every designer's clothes look a hundred times better than every other model, everyone told her so. Every little girl in the world wanted to grow up to be like her, everyone told her so. Every man on Earth wanted to make love to her, everyone told her so. And after she had grown weary of the few who shared her bed they would step aside graciously, thankful for the privilege that they had been granted, everyone told her so.

So who the hell did Matt Brannock think he was to dump HER!!! No, he must get down on his hands and knees and beg for her forgiveness for his unpardonable acts! And after he'd begged long enough (two or three years at least) and she had forgiven him, he must back out of her presense gratefully kissing the ground she walked on as he went!

And come Hell or High Water, he would!!!

Everyone told her so.

Speaking of "What If's" (I know we werent, but some of the talk on copyright infringement made me think of it) What if Phillip Wylie had sued Siegal and Schuster or D C comics for the infringement of "Superman" on Hugo Danner, the hero of his novel "Gladiator" (published in 1930) ?

Gladiator

Dunno how copyright law would apply in a hypothetical case of Wylie v S&S, esp. not back in the 30s. I have never heard if they admitted to it, but it seems apparent that Gladiator and Doc Savage were big influences on their conception of Superman. The similarities between Danner and Kent (insofar as their superhuman abilities) were quite striking early in Superman's comic life. Due to the nature of the medium, his powers grew in both number and level fairly quick until the connection with Wylie's character was not so apparent. IIRC, The Young All-Stars had a character based on Danner, in a sort of an ironic tribute.

I don't know a lot about copyright law, but I suspect only having a character with similar abilities is not sufficient grounds. Though I've never had the pleasure of reading Wylie's work (been looking for a copy for a long time) my understanding is that Danner never used his powers in the super-hero way. He was super-humanly strong and tough like Superman, but so were Hercules and Samson. I believe in every other way, Superman and Danner were very different.

Superman took a lot conceptually from Danner, but he also took heavily from Doc Samson (the Man of Steel, this time, instead of Bronze) and John Carter of Mars (this time Earth becomes the planet with weaker gravity). His name and appearance come from two actors Clark Gable and Kent Alexander. So when all is said and done, Superman is about as original a character as you can get in a world where nothing is truly original. There's a point where if you "steal" from enough sources they cease being victims of plagiarism and become sources of inspiration.

And let us not turn a blind eye towards what is hommage, what is parody, what is iconic and what is a little too close for comfort.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there wasn't a bigger stink about Squadron Surpreme, especially the extended roster. Even going as far to put out the New World Order one shot after the JLA made their big comback. It's one thing when the characters are closer to parody and are going to only have a single appearance, such as the obvious evil versions of the Avengers that acted as villains in an issue of the Authority (which of course has two iconics of the Upstanding flying brick and the ruthless, shadowy martial artist). I felt that Squadron Supreme may have crossed some of the lines. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed Alan Moore's hommage to Superman and the JSA in the pages of Supreme and didn't feel it crossed the line because the stories that were being told involved character types that DC no longer published. The typing in the cast of SS was actively being used.

I think that Punisher is a bit too close to Mack Bolan, albeit infinitely better written by Garth Ennis, except of course for Doug's book.

The Fantastic Four brings to mind Danger Unlimited. It passes my test for being hommage.

And of course, there is times that actual parallel development occur. What I really got a kick out of was a little movie made for HBO called Earth vs the Spider. Not the original with the giant tarantula (although it's a fun movie), this one involved a comic book geek who got spiderpowers to emulate his comic hero. This baby was in the can at least a year before Spider-Man hit the silver screen, but some of the concepts from Spider-Man were thre in EvtS. We had the organic webs (though these came from the navel), we had the sickness right arter the point of infection, we had genetic engineered spiders, ect. I did like one of the guys powers from EvtS that Peter didn't have. He was incredibly sensitive to vibration. It almost gave him a primitive N-Ray vision versus structures he was touching. Nobody is going to accuse Ted Rami of ripping off EvtS, but definitely parallels exist between the movies because they are logical extropolations of what would happen if somebody inherited spider powers.