Help With Freedom Force

James Gillen

I'm planning to make HERO writeups of the 4 charter members of Freedom Force (Irrational Games PC story game). Minuteman, Mentor and El Diablo are fairly straightforward.

Man-Bot is the problem. Basically, his power is an 'always on' energy build up that discharges randomly if he isn't wearing his containment suit. However, even with the suit, the game lists him as 'unstable' and prone to explode if he takes enough damage (no range Explosion EB, NO Personal Immunity). How does one model this?

My friend Gary suggested an 'Uncontrolled' EB Explosion Triggered if the character reaches his maximum END in an END Reserve- either naturally (without the suit) or through Absorption (with the suit). Of course, that would also drain the END Reserve, and most Uncontrolled abilities also need to be Constant. I'm not sure how to make this legal.

JG

Re: Help With Freedom Force

It's a Side Effect, always occurs in a given circumstance (which reduces the value of the Side Effect by 1/4). Attach the side effect to his Absorbtion or to his End Reserve. A -3/4 SE would get you the full active points of the power it's attached. So, a 30 point power would yield a 4d6 explosion that he would get no defenses against. Looking over the Side Effect rules might give you more ideas.

He doesn't take damage from his own explosion, does he? I haven't played it in a while.

I'd build it as a No Range EB with No Conscious Control, with or without Personal Immunity as appropriate.

If he takes no damage from the explosion, then the side effect takes +1/4 for "affects nearby environment". A Side Effect equal to the active point cost of the power would thus be worth (-1, +1/4 for always in a given situation, +1/4 for affects nearby environment) -1/2.

No, Man-Bot doesn't take damage from his own explosions. :)

Using Radium's writeup from CKC may be a good start (he is in CKC, right?) as he essentially has the same basic power setup ... he leaks energy and is contained only by his suit.

Now, the tricky part is the Unstable Energy ... which is the same problem *I* had when I tried to make them for Champions. In the game, Man-Bot doesn't explode just because he reaches maximum Energy ... he explodes when he gets hit (he must take damage, though, I've discovered; a wussy enough attack or a non-damaging one doesn't set it off).

Now ... Man-Bot does also, eventually, gain the ability to generate these Energy Explosions intentionally. Now ... here's my question. Could this same power have a Side Effect that it triggers sometimes when he takes damage (probably only an 8- or so, but even that's often enough to scare people)?

No' date=' Man-Bot doesn't take damage from his own explosions. :)[/quote']

Actually he does. Not as a 'no defenses' Side Effect, but he does get stunned and knocked down a lot by the effect.

Using Radium's writeup from CKC may be a good start (he is in CKC, right?) as he essentially has the same basic power setup ... he leaks energy and is contained only by his suit.

Good idea. I'll look it over.

JG

Side effect works.

I like NCC though.

He explodes whenever the GM wants him to...

The writeup I'm hammering out now would have the Explosion bought as a Power (since he does eventually learn to use the effect consciously, and because Side Effects aren't supposed to help you in combat) but either 'Limited Conscious Control' or 'Extreme Side Effect' would be about -1.

JG

I would always target Man-bot for somewhere deep in enemy territory, and then take the faster guys out around the flanks to work their way in. Man-bot would take out all the mooks that got in his way and tie up the big bad guy until everyone else was ready to move in. He was also really good at throwing stuff. Those fuel barrels were awesome weapons in his hands.

I'd just have him toddle along with the rest of the party. Alternately refueling Inferno with a transfer, or blasting mooks/scenery/whatever.

I tried front-lining him at times, but he couldn't cut it.

He'd take all the damage no problem.

He just couldn't strike back worth a damn.

He was a neat concept, just too slow for most missions.

BTW: When you finish them up please post them!

I'd just have him toddle along with the rest of the party. Alternately refueling Inferno with a transfer, or blasting mooks/scenery/whatever.

I tried front-lining him at times, but he couldn't cut it.

He'd take all the damage no problem.

He just couldn't strike back worth a damn.

He was a neat concept, just too slow for most missions.

BTW: When you finish them up please post them!

I was able to put Man-Bot to pretty good use frequently. His energy blast had decent damage and good range, and his ability to recharge characters was great. During the Mr. Mechanical levels, I just had him automatically re-energizing Man O' War so he could throw supercharged Storm Bolts around. :)

And once he got Flight, always the first thing I saved up for, he got a LOT more mobile.