The Enemy is the Pirate!

Michael Hopcroft

I got to see this show -- at least the first episode -- at my club meeting last night. It's about a sentient cat 9who is greedy, egotistical, lazy and eager to blame others for his mistakes) and a human cop (who is trigger-happy in the extreme) who roam the solar system battling space pirates. The level of overall destruction is a pretty good match for Dirty Pair -- the point that the duo are fired by the anti-pirate polcie in the first epsidoe for running up huge bills. Or so it would appear -- so they steal their own ship and go pirate-hunting on their own. Since the ship is intelligent, this is quite a feat. And evidently this is what the Chief wanted them to do all along....

It's the cat who's really buizarre and fun. How he got to be sentient I don't know, but whiever did it has a lot to answer for, This is the sort of character who doesn;t read subtitles like "Toy Does Not Fly" and takes what he watches on TV entirely too literally.

There is also a non-sentient white cat in the show owned by the main villain. I smell love interest for the hero (because, although the human does a lot of shooting and fighting, we are clearly meant to root for the cat precisely because he is so annoying).

How do you write up a sapient cat?

Re: The Enemy is the Pirate!

first offl' date=' are you sure the other cat is non sentient? it might be playing the villain for a patsy, the cat might be the real villain[/quote']

This might actually be the case, as the villain kept saying things like "You're a good cat, no like that *bleep* Afuro". Cats with mind control are either scary or (if you;'re a conspiracy theorist) exceptionally mundane because All cats mind control their owners otherwise they;d be in the stew after tearing up the furniture. :hush:

• 2 weeks later...