Minor question on Armored character

Badger

Re: Minor question on Armored character

Fiddling with an Armored character today. I was wondering how do I take off DeX when Armor is on? Say I want a regular 12 DEX to have a loss of 2 down to 10 due to the loss of mobility? Cant seem to figure it out on HERO designer.

Give him just a 10 dex normally and then use the characteristics - dex power to buy him 2 extra points of dex with the limitation Only when not wearing armor. How much the limitation would be worth would depend on how often he goes into action without his armor.

Hope this helps

It is not legal (per Steve Long) to buy negative Characteristics as Powers. You could buy Penalty Skill Levels for all DEX Rolls, Only when in Armor. That won't lower your actual DEX characteristic, but it will limit the character's mobility.

• 4 years later...

Include a Side Effect (Always On) disadvantage on the armour that reduces DEX is another possibility. The level of the Side Effect would depend on the amount that DEX is reduced by and on the Active Point cost of the Armour.

This or Penalty Skill Levels are the best options.

This way if someone else wears the armor they get the 'drawback' as well.

go with the side effect purchased as part of the armour list.

Side effect 6 drain VS dex. (occurs automatically whenever character uses armour) (Set effect 3 dots per dice) -1/2

Well, at least thats the way I'd build it. I may be wrong.

Considering I've seen people in full mediaeval plate armour doing jumping jacks and cartwheels, I don't think a DEX penalty for powered aemour is justified at all. And check out the videos of the SARCOS suit where the guy is practically dancing.

That plate armour was so cumbersome that a knight needed to be winched into his saddle is a myth invented by the Victorians.

No no no, Plate armour isn't as cumbersome as people think, but its still cumbersome.

Its less cumbersome then Chain and hard leather. But it is heavy... Damn heavy...

a penalty of 2 dex for power armour is reasonable. Even if its just to represent the delayed response of the suit to the wearer's commands.