Marvel & DC Vs

phydaux

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Marvel & DC Vs

Well, I won US$500 at a PCQ, and it was fun.

That said, if you like M:tG, it's pretty similiar in gameplay terms. There are a few "eh" moments: for example, if you only have one character out, they _cannot) be KO'D by _any_ amount of brute force, and if you have more than one, then one will always be standing at the end of the round.

eh?

But it's pretty cool. Bad-Ass-Quotient of X is limited, budget decks are (were, anyway?) good, and it did feel pretty superpowered.

(Also... for some reason, it's possible for two characters with range to be positioned so a teammate is a _one_ way shield between them)

I've played a few times with borrowed cards. It's a fun game. I know a bunch of the designers and playtesters IRL, and they're all current- and former- Magic: the Gathering pros, so the game is very much in that vein. It's a fast-paced head-to-head game with decent replay value and some intriguing mechanical innovations that make for strategic depth which isn't immediately obvious (at least, it wasn't to me, until I saw some serious players going at it).

I'm a little concerned about power-creep in the expansions, but that's almost unavoidable in the CCG market.

As for the flavor-aspect of the game, it's actually pretty good. The primary focus is on the characters, their powers and the interactions between them, which strikes me as an appropriate treatment of the genre. There are multiple versions of most characters in the game, which makes it possible to use your favorite characters in multiple decks, or even to build a deck around a single character (though the emphasis is on groups of characters).

Yes, I've played, though not particularly well. I have one standard deck of each (Spiderfriends, Sinister Syndicate, Gotham Knights, Arkham Inmates, Xmen, Brotherhood). I think the superman related decks should be out soon.

My worst luck is with the Gotham Knights; I'm winless. I have the most wins with the Brotherhood, but the best winning percentage is with the Spiderfriends.

In all honestly, I'm not sure we're playing the game exactly right. I may have to go to GenCon socal just to see how we're supposed to play it :)

I really like this game. I have been playing amongst friends and I am anxious to see how we will do in Tourneys. We are planning to go to GenCon LA in Dec to qualify, unless anyone knows of a qualifier before that in the Central Valley CA (Fresno) area.