Conquerors, Killers and Crooks

Nero's Boot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Conquerors, Killers and Crooks

Generally speaking the ratio of defense size vs. attack size has been more in favor of attack than in earlier editions of Champions. The popular theory (which I'm not sure Hero Games has ever affirmed or denied) is that this is a deliberate design choice to make combat go faster. The pace of super combat in Champions was a long-standing complaint from quite a few people' date=' some of them HERO gamers.[/quote']

That wouldn't surprise me. Combat length has always been one of the biggest issues with Champions and many players. Trying to find ways to speed up the game seems logical. Of course it seems to me that this would actually slow down combat as it forces players to use more maneuvers now. More dodges means more phases which means longer combats. It probably ends up just being equal. :)

Our group consists of all Champions veterans so our combats tend to go fairly quickly. And playing at a slightly higher power level also seems to make the combats last a little longer because our foes are generally more powerful too.

Can't disagree too much here. OTOH, Takofanes gets major points in my mind for carry-over coolness from his much earlier years as Kal-Turak, Ravager of Men. Now, *THAT* guy is cool, and terrifyingly powerful and competent. Takofanes is just a shadow of him at his peak, not so much in power as competence. Apparently, 70000 years of isolation doesn't help one's sanity. . .

As for Dr D, I think he's close, he just needs something a little bit extra to put him well into the "cool" range. I'm not sure what, though. Noblesse Oblige doesn't work. Maybe explicit plans for his post-conquest world ( I'm thinking he'd want to become either a dimensional or galactic conqueror ). Maybe an elaboration on *why* he seeks total power, beyond/in-addition-to simple powerlust ( an extended metaphor using dolls, and those who play with them, as a description for life, with his desire to conquer all rooted in a desire to ensure he is never subject to such "play" ever again?? ).

I think Dr. Destroyer's main plan is to just find a way to stop the ravages of time on his body. I see a plot going something like this:

Dr. Destroyer tries to, and succeeds in, capturing Captain Chronos to gain access to the chronosuit.

Dr. Destroyer starts using the chronosuit searching for a way to reverse time and to gain power by manipulating the past.

Dr. Destroyer draws the attention of Entropus.

Dr. Destroyer attempts to make a deal with Entropus to stop, or possibly reverse time/aging on his body.

Dr. Destroyer betrays Entropus and attempts to steal his powers.

Dr. Destroyer becomes the new "Time Lord."

Dr. Destroyer draws the attention of various dimensional lords... trouble ensues. :)

If I'm running a hard sci-fi game magic shouldn't exist at all.

At the time of Hero's sci-fi settings, it doesn't, or very nearly doesn't.

And to say it serves no purpose isn't accurate, either. So far it's proivided inspiration for villains (Takofanes) and given new heroes of the future a link to a distant heroic past (Galactic Champions). It can provide numerous adventure seeds, and it's a boon for GMs who want to do a cross-genre campaign or adventure.

No no no! It's "Ravager of Men"' date=' not "[b']Ravisher[/b] of Men"! :eek:

rav·age

v. rav·aged, rav·ag·ing, rav·ages

v. tr.

1. To bring heavy destruction on; devastate: A tornado ravaged the town.

2. To pillage; sack: Enemy soldiers ravaged the village.

v. intr.

1. To wreak destruction.

n.

1. The act or practice of pillaging, destroying, or devastating.

2. Grievous damage; havoc: the ravages of disease.

So. He pillages and sacks men. Close enough.

Also, from: French ravager, from Old French, to uproot, from ravir, to ravish. See ravish.

And he's been alone for 7000 years? Watch out, Oklahoma!