HEROic aberrants

Nero's Boot

I am a huge fan of Aberrant by White Wolf Game Studio (though not of the d20 crap they recently released, using the Aberrant setting), and I think it's probably the single best cosmic-powered supers game on the market. I own all the sourcebooks and modules, and still play the game on a fairly dependable basis.

However, now I'm starting to really get into HERO 5th and the entire 5th edition Champions line. While the Storyteller version of Aberrant will always hold place of pride in my heart, I've been giving serious thought to converting the thing over to HERO 5th. Granted, point totals for average PCs would be obscenely high, and NPCs like Divis Mal would eat guys like Dr. Destroyer for lunch without breaking a sweat, but I think it'd be fun.

--has anyone else either done this already, or at least thought of it? NB

Re: HEROic aberrants

I'm not much on "conversions", I prefer to write the character up directly in the new system. However, since my own campaign borrows numerous elements from Aberrant, I thought I'd throw out some chestnuts.

DORMACY. The value of this as a power depends on how prevalent the ability to detect nova powers is. In Aberrant literally every nova can detect other novas; that created some campaign issues I didn't care for (especially in regards to the issue of nova registration) -- so I borrowed a thought from the "Brave New World" game and limited the ability to detect other novas to specific novas known as "hound class" novas (I'll pick that thought up in a moment).

If you have enough ways to distinguish novas from ordinary (baseline) humans, then I'd recommend requiring the "dormant" form to be bought via Multiform. You may need to limit it enough to get the cost to appropriate levels, however.

"Hound Powers". In Aberrant, every novas has the ability to detect other novas. Under HERO, this is handled by two separate detects:

a> Detect person lacking Normal Characteristic Maxima.

b> Detect active use of nova powers.

Now, for my own purposes I do not allow "A" to be bought with the sense adder because of the way I want detecting novas to work in my campaign -- if you feel otherwise, you should certainly feel free do otherwise. However, since they are so close in function I allow the less expensive of the two to take a -1/2 disadvantage for the redundency (based on the cost of Linked).

I also feel this is a good example of a 10-point detect -- one I generally consider part of the Scent/Olfactory group (the whole "hound" thing).

Appropriate adders can include Tracking, Discriminatory, Targetting, and Analyze.

Quantum Pool and Node. END Reserve; the 'node' primarily affects how fast the pool recharges (REC).

I'm a big fan of Aberrant, but for the setting, not the rules. The Aberrant setting is among my favorite RPG settings and presents an interesting and more likely view on the impact of superhumans on society. The rules are a combination of overly-simplified Champions and Aeon/Trinity, which will work for a lot of people, but not for too many HERO fans. I've also thought of developing a campaign based on the Aberrant setting and may well yet do so.

I've posted a few Aberrant conversions here and I think some of them are being hosted on Surbrook's Stuff.

And the rest will be, as soon I as I format them for posting. You sent me a lot and I need to get back to cleaning them up (i.e. removing extra spaces, tabs, and what not).