Shapeshifting

Sean Waters

Re: Shapeshifting

I've thought of a use for shape shift! Super acting. By the power and subtlety of your acting abilty you persuade your audience to suspend their disbelief and utterly convince them that you are what ever you 'shape shift' into, even though nothing actually happens, and everyone feels a bit cheated afterwards when they read the reviews and/or watch it on DVD. :winkgrin:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought of a use for shape shift! Super acting. By the power and subtlety of your acting abilty you persuade your audience to suspend their disbelief and utterly convince them that you are what ever you 'shape shift' into' date=' even though nothing actually happens, and everyone feels a bit cheated afterwards when they read the reviews and/or watch it on DVD. :winkgrin:[/quote']

So basically this is the Lucas Power?

That's easy. Multiform.

I mean, honestly, if your shapechange is really so thorough that no possible exercise of any sense can possibly see through it (Detect Flesh won't work, cause I'm made of wood, Detect Human won't work, cause I'm actually a dog) then your stats should change to accomodate these physical, mental, and spiritual changes. That's Multiform.

The 'powers' of multiform are the powers you buy for the form. Shifting shape/size/appearance/composition/whatever is a sfx of multiform. You get it FOR FREE. Even if you are a perfect imitation of someone specific (George Bush multiform, anyone?)

I'm not saying shape shift should be free. I am saying that shapeshifting should be cheaper. Or maybe I'm saying that the bits of shapeshifting you prize are best dealt with by adders to or modifications of other powers and shape shift doesn't have a place in Hero at all.

I'm all depressed now.

After reading all the posts, I think I now understand exactly what is creating the disparity between what the power is designed to do, and what it must do in order function properly.

It was designed to affect sense to allow for more flexiblity to handle more SFX situations using well defined game mechanics.

However, it must also allow for actual contortion of the body into different shapes in order to actually achieve the former. And that's where the problem lies.

Each Sense that may be purchased with Shapeshift must also allow for an actual change of shape. But changing shape can directly affect other senses, at least under most circumstances, which would force those additional senses to be bought or have a disconnect on how the power actually works.

Wooden Baseball Bat: Touch Group

The character should be able to be identified via touch. A blind person would need to feel the wood texture, but also would need to feel the shape of that object. The GM has to decide whether touch also allows for the ancillary sound created by object being hit or tapped.

Shape changing is required to be identified as a Bat shaped object. Anyone looking at the same character would see a human being who was stretched into to the shape of a bat, but still obviously a human.

Wooden Baseball Bat: Sight Group

The character should be able to be identified via sight. The character would look like a wooden bat. And the character's shape will have changed. Therefore a blind person would be able to feel the shape of the Bat but the texture wouldn't match.

Wooden Baseball Bat: Hearing Group

The character should be able to be identified via sound.

This is more complicated since many of the senses within this group both Passive and Active.

Passive Senses: Obviously since a Bat emits no sound, the Bat is essentially invisible to passive senses.

Active Senses: Since these require waves to touch the object and return they can possibly perceive the shape of the object. But this of course falls logically into the Touch Group.

Conclusion

If body contortion were to be removed from Shapeshift, the power becomes little more than a powerful Images. It's the actual changing of shape that is creating a cross effect with different senses. Perhaps if this component were to be separated out to add granularity. Then the costs of each component could be reduced across the board to allow for cheap simple SFX and expensive power SFX.

Just Some Musings

- Christopher Mullins