Dang! Nothing more to read!

Hitchhiker

Greetings. Looks like my old account has been deleted. :D

Anyways: I have read (and used as well as enjoyed) Hero System 5th Edition, Hero System Bestiary and The Ultimate Martial Artist.

Now, onto my question: What the heck should I get next? I have played several fantasy and scifi campaigns so far. What would be wise additional literature to widen my horizon regarding the beloved Hero System? I have no plans for a new campaign so far.

Thanks for any help or suggestion

Hitch

Just do what a lot of us here do . . . buy everything HERO puts out. Even if you aren't running a particular genre, the books have great ideas and examples that can be incorporated into whatever campaign you DO run. I am waiting for noon to roll around so I can call my FLGS to see if they have MC yet, even though I'll never use the setting. Okay, so I will probably never buy Hero Designer, sorry Steve.

I agree with Ghost Archer. There is something useful in almost everything HERO puts out. I bought Star Hero recently not because I ever expect to run a space game, but because there was just too much useful material. Star Hero could have more accurately been called "Science Fiction Hero", and it covers everything from nanotechnology and cyberpunk to interstellar drives and time travel. If you run a Champions campaign with "cutting edge" technology in it (Like powered armor or AI supercomputers), Star Hero is a tremendous resource.

The thing that sold me was the lovely writeups for Star Trek-type phasers (including the classic "heat the rocks to stay warm" setting and of course Star Wars-type light sabers.

Re: Dang! Nothing more to read!

Originally posted by Hitchhiker

Greetings. Looks like my old account has been deleted. :D

Anyways: I have read (and used as well as enjoyed) Hero System 5th Edition, Hero System Bestiary and The Ultimate Martial Artist.

Now, onto my question: What the heck should I get next? I have played several fantasy and scifi campaigns so far. What would be wise additional literature to widen my horizon regarding the beloved Hero System? I have no plans for a new campaign so far.

Thanks for any help or suggestion

Hitch

Star Hero

I have personally enjoyed all the books up to this point. My personal favorites (in no particular order) are: Star Hero, Terran Empire, Champions Universe, Millennium City, Conquerors, Killers, & Crooks, and the Bestiary. That does not mean the other books are not good, but I do not have as much overall use for the Ultimate Vehicle (seldom make vehicles), the Ultimate Martial Artist (seldom make martial arts characters), or Ninja Hero (have never played in a wuxia-style game).

If you are just wanting something to read for enjoyment, then I would suggest one of the campaign books. Take a look at Terran Empire, Champions Universe, or Millennium City. They are fun to read, informative, and not to rules heavy. It is always fun to read about campaign worlds.

I am reading the books for enjoyment first, but try to use them in campaigns afterwards. So far, I haven't had any HERO book that wasn't enjoyable.

I love reading about pre-built skills, powers, creatures or else, but it always makes me start thinking about what could I do with it. It's like building LEGO according to the plan, and try to create something new after that.

Can you spell megalomania? :D

There are now so many quality options available in HERO products, it really depends on where your interests lie. For broadening your mind system-wise, I'd recommend Star HERO because it contains so many interesting things useful in several different genres, and The Ultimate Vehicle because it shows some innovative ways to build various classic vehicle effects, as well as giving examples from chariots to starships. Beyond that, you might just as well go to the "Our Products" link and browse the book descriptions for something that grabs you. Whatever you pick, I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

I am reading the books for enjoyment first, but try to use them in campaigns afterwards. So far, I haven't had any HERO book that wasn't enjoyable.

Kidding aside (see above), if you're first goal on Hero books is enjoyment I'd go with Ninja Hero. I don't have my own copy yet, and have only been able to peek inside a copy at the store, but from all reports its the most enjoyable read by far of all 5th Edition HERO books.

Kidding aside (see above), if you're first goal on Hero books is enjoyment I'd go with Ninja Hero. I don't have my own copy yet, and have only been able to peek inside a copy at the store, but from all reports its the most enjoyable read by far of all 5th Edition HERO books.

I don't read them first for enjoyment and second for gaming...I read them for gaming, but I enjoy doing it. Like I said, it makes me thinking what I could do.

If I would read them for enjoyment only (or first), I don't think that I would have ever started a campaign...

Just to make things clear! :)

My Suggestion

I have been gaming for about 22 years. Any time a new game show up I buy at least the Core Book to see what it's like and in all the 22 years and all the books I've bought, none of them, IMHO were anywhere near as good as Star Hero and Terrian Empire. These books were incredible. If you get inspiration from art than I would get Terrian Empire first Andrew Cremeans has some awesome pictures of all the different races in there. Andrew has always been my favorite Hero artist, and this book really shows you why.

This coming from a guy who's never even played a Star Hero Campaign except for a PBEM one I started recently.

I don't read them first for enjoyment and second for gaming...I read them for gaming, but I enjoy doing it. Like I said, it makes me thinking what I could do.

If I would read them for enjoyment only (or first), I don't think that I would have ever started a campaign...

Just to make things clear! :)

Oh, I got that part. But, to (roughly) quote someone who reviewed the book, "First Edition Ninja Hero explained how to run a martial arts campaign; Second Edition explains why." Aaron Allston was preaching to the choir, while Mike Surbrook preached to us heathen masses. Of the currently-available HERO books I don't have, it's #2 (right after Terran Empire, for which I have specific designs) on my list of things to get. :)