"Dark" Champions Plots

nexus

I think the darkest I've gotten as far as mood went was one scenario a few years ago. A serial rapist was stalking New York. The evidence pointed to metahuman as the victim never saw anything at all and there was no foresnic evidence at the crime scenes. There was no evidence at all except for the victim's stories and the physical signs on their bodies. The criminal was a 13 year old mutant boy who was manifesting psionic self, a telekinetic construct that roamed when he slept acting his most id fueled sexual fantasies without his consious awareness.

What have some of your darker plots been like?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: "Dark" Champions Plots

You have been infected by my darkness! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'd laugh, but it's at least partially influence by the Seeding campaign ideas.

Creepy.

(base pt value, what PC's will DO in the world I'd already dreamed up)

You have been infected by my darkness! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Aww...I always thought you were a teddy bear myself.

I really haven't been involved in any "Dark" Champions plots...I think. The GM's I've run with don't seem to care much for the genre, for some reason I can't fathom.

I think the closest I come is in the game you currently run, Nexus (mainly "Bay City Blues"), but I can't be sure...

I think the darkest I've gotten as far as mood went was one scenario a few years ago. A serial rapist was stalking New York. The evidence pointed to metahuman as the victim never saw anything at all and there was no foresnic evidence at the crime scenes. There was no evidence at all except for the victim's stories and the physical signs on their bodies. The criminal was a 13 year old mutant boy who was manifesting psionic self, a telekinetic construct that roamed when he slept acting his most id fueled sexual fantasies without his consious awareness.

What have some of your darker plots been like?

Mine was a bad seed plot. It centered around a 10 year old boy who voluntarily allowed a demon to posess him. The demon pretty much simply served the boy as his ultimate alibi. The demon did not need to control the boy to get him to ritually murder his entire family.

Mine was a bad seed plot. It centered around a 10 year old boy who voluntarily allowed a demon to posess him. The demon pretty much simply served the boy as his ultimate alibi. The demon did not need to control the boy to get him to ritually murder his entire family.

That's a good one. May I steal it for my upcoming DEMON storyline?

Personally I'm not much into running "dark" storylines in superhero games; I prefer adventures with more of a shine on their four colors.

The darkest supers plot I've ever seen was for Allen Varney's classic "Anopheles/Horror World" setting from Champions In 3-D. BTW Allen has put the text from that adventure on his personal website for free viewing (with DoJ's permission):

http://www.allenvarney.com/anopheles.html

Then there's the notion developed in a thread started by ZootSoot, about a possible short-term alliance between Mechanon and Takofanes and the long-term consequences of it:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2908

I'm currently running a subplot (run amok...el grande subplot) where a serial killer is possessing people and commiting his murders while inhabiting their bodies. The victims are entirely aware of what is going on with their bodies. A number of them have committed suicide or gone WAY off the deep end afterwards. This is about as dark as I like things to get. Too much more and the games get very draining and our group has enough bad things going on RL that we don't need to drag even more into it when we game.

The whole Kingpin story arc got quite dark, with one PC's mother slain brutally and a general lack of respect for life on Kingpin's part.

Further back, in my prior group, there was time travel where they "had" to watch an NPC's girlfriend get slain and the PCs could stand by and do nothing or it would interrupt the time stream. It laid the seeds for discontent with one character who later decided that never again would he let himself be "bullied" by the time manipulator PC.