WWYCD? Quantum Leap moment

starblaze

Ok, here goes.

Your character is involved in a fight with some time manipulating supervillian. You are fighting him as well as some of his henchmen and right in the middle of the battle you are hit with some kind of temporal energy blast. You black out for a minute and when you come to you find yourself somewhat changed.

You dressed in a WWII style uniform and gear. You are in some sort of boat full of soldiers dressed just like you. You are listening to the other guys and figured that somehow you have 'leaped into' the body of Sgt. Mike Reynolds of the U.S. Army. You are in a transport ship. The time is 1944, June 6 and you are arriving at the beaches of Normandy. That's right D-Day!

You have your own mind and any knowledge that comes with it but you are in the body of a G.I. You are in command of your own platoon.

What do you do soldier?! WHAT DO YOU DO!?

Re: WWYCD? Quantum Leap moment

Style - Tries to stay alive and keep his men alive; if he lives, he tries to get back. His magic may or may not work in 1944 depending on the campaign.

Flesh Gordon - "Well this is not good. Hey, soldiers!" Tries to kill Germans and win WWII. Will want to get back to his body, and will ask people about it. May manage to stay together long enough to do it if any of his Luck came back with him.

Legend - Tries to keep his men alive any way he can, and to defeat the enemy. If he survives, he will seek out those mages he knows were active in this time and ask for help.

Starguard -- freak out. Putting 18-year-old near-pacifists in the Marine Corps in the heart of D-Day is generally not good. Especially in /officer/ slots.

Dr. Pain -- (edit) The last character revamp had him serving 4 years in the 82nd Airborne when he was a young man. And as a superhero, he's seen fire. He'll do fine... as soon as he figures out the vast operating differences between an M-1 Garand and an M-16.

Baron von Darien -- dude, you just made the Baron /mortal/ again. He'll be the happiest guy on the entire freaking planet, and never mind his current situation.

Oh, and even bereft of his superhuman physical attributes, it's going to be a damned unlucky German who meets him.

Princess Cyrande- Ouch. She not only has no idea how to fight with a gun, but she doesn't have any military leadership skills. Would try and keep her people safe, but would be very, very confused, and likely quickly dead.

Nox- Well, she at least knows what's going on, but given she's a complete pacifist... Would try and keep her people alive, and break down completely when she gets home.

Well, Falcon's game is currently in October 1938, so we're talking a "3" on the old Deduction roll to figure anything out here. For her, World War II is the future.

Sticking a rifle into the hands of someone with 20 points of CvK isn't all that great, either. She (and presumably Sarge Reynolds) carries grenades, but hers are filled with knockout gas -- hopefully she'll look at Reynolds' instead of automatically tossing one at the Germans.

OTOH, she was trained by a pulp-era vigilante and is pretty good at hand-to-hand combat. If she doesn't lose her head (one way or the other :bmk: ) in the initial landing, I foresee lots of "sneak up and take out the machine gun nest" action while she tries to figure out what's going on and how to get back.

Special note -- she's probably heard some stories about what the Nazis are really up to in her "home time", but this has the chance of letting her know the full story early. If she remembers her 1944 adventures after getting back, there's no way she would stay quiet about the death camps.

Ghost Archer:

"D-Day, huh? Let's see, I was working with Marie Renault in the French underground trying to gather up the scattered 82nd Airborne on the evening of the 3rd. On the 4th we were acting as guides and translators for the Division near Ste. Mere-Eglise. As the future me would know this, I would try to keep my platoon alive, no mean feat, and meet up with my earlier self to get some help. Of course if this had happened, my earilier self would remember so my later self would know where to be and when."

Guest Champsguy

Phaeton would attempt to contact the Speed Force. If that doesn't work, he'll lead his people through the battle. Afterwards, he'll use his KS: Temporal Physics to try and cobble together something that will let him return to his own time.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Silyione: Panic, realize she's not being killed by being around so many Nulls, panic some more. She knows not how to fight here... and she doesn't know exactly what happened on this day. (Plus, she can't speak English without her powers - if her Psionics transferred, however, she will be unable to act effectively, as merely looking at everyone triggers her susceptability).

(Plus, CvK. Ouch)

Rook: He's also from the future, so again, little clue how to act. He'll lead everyone forwards; I hope I remembered to buy him the combat skills he should have... if he does, he's got the courage and determination to at least not be a liability. Afterwards, he'd... dunno.

Flippant: Minus side, CvK, no WF: Guns, No Tactics, No KS History.

Plus Side: Martial Arts. Since there's no way out but forward, he'd try to fake a reason to ask what they should do as best he can... and try to apply SOME present knowledge to keep himself and 'his men' alive.

Others: Too much effort to remember who they all are... zzzzzzz.

Faye: Unfortunately for her, high school history in Canada is mostly focussed on domestic history. She'll know about the D-Day invasion, of course, but that's about all. If she still has her powers, she'll use force walls to protect Allied troops and AE Ego Attacks to put the Axis troopers to sleep. If she doesn't, she'll pass command to whoever's next in line before she completely falls apart.

Phoenix: Do her best not to panic, and try to get the best tactical advice she can. Do her best to keep her people alive.

Champion Wind: If she still has her powers, try to pass herself off as Thor or Odin One-Eye, make the Germans think the gods of their anscestors have turned against them. If not, see above for Faye.

Ika: "My tribe. Other tribe. Kill other tribe!" Unfortunately, she's a cave girl. Guns and tactics are mostly mysteries to her.

I don't run Nova often (I think tomorrow will be her third game session -- she's someone I play when and if I can hook up with that group), but since I had her sheet out to update her to 5th edition let's see ....

On the one hand, she's German. On the other, she has serious issues with the Fourth Reich* down in South America. Since we're assuming that characters figure out pretty quick just what they're in the middle of, she won't have a problem with opposing the Third Reich.

Her problems would be 1) not knowing how to handle a rifle, 2) having a CvK, and from the sound of it 3) not having her flame powers. She's used to being able to vaporize bullets coming at her, not ducking them -- if her powers didn't come along for the ride I don't think much of her survival chances.

If she survives the landings, either because she has her powers or because the corporal behind her shoved her out of the way of the machine gun fire, she's a physicist. It's not the best specialty for figuring out temporal anomalies, but throw Deduction into the mix and "get accidentally separated from the unit, sir" long enough for some positive modifiers and she might be able to figure out how to get back.

-----

*it's a somewhat strange homebrew world

Microman II: Is hopelessly out of his depth. None of his powers transfer, he has no significant combat skills usable here, and he's not even used to a human body period. It will take luck to keep him from getting killed.

Diomedes: Adapts quickly, handles himself reasonably well. Pretty soon, the Nazis are going to fear the coming of Sgt Reynolds. . .

Scales: He would know where and what to do having been born sometime before that. Another character that might have access to high magics. Try to get his platoon in alive, etc...

Ice Pirate: Holy !%$#@! An alien from another planet with no interest in Earth history may have some problems. However, she just might have the overall skill levels to pull it off.