Dr. Destroyer vs. Scotland

Super Squirrel

Tonights game will involve a news story of an disaster in Glasgow, Scotland.

Dr. Destroyer moves into Glasgow, Scotland with an explosive device connected to three large chambers with chemicals in them. The device slowly begins mixing the chemicals and starts a catalyst.

While this is happening, a UK Superhero team moves in. Stasis manages to get Dr. Destroyer in a frozen state long enough for Blarney to punch him into orbit. Not having enough time to get the bomb diffused, the team decides that whatever chemicals are in the vat, taking away one of the mixtures has to be better than having all three. So Blarney breaks one of the chambers and Banshee uses her wail to blow it away.

The device explodes and, unfortunately, dire results happen. 50,000 people in Glasgow die upon exposure to the chemical. The only survivors who were exposed are Blarney, who is immune to chemical agents and any child 14 or younger. Instantly, the city has 3,427 orphans.

Now, your help is needed with some of the details. The above is a rough draft. The events that must happen are as follows:

Dr. Destroyer invades.

Dr. Destroyer's plans are partially stopped but not fully.

Lots of people die.

A large number (at least 500) children are orphaned. It does not require that every parent dies.

If you can come up with a better story or details that improve this story, please share.

What happens is that as a result of the disaster, an independently wealthy individual opens an orphanage / school for the victims. I will eventually be using the school as the setting for a future campaign, but for now I want to get the event in the background.

I apologize for the disorganized post, but I'm between calls at work right now and don't have the time to make this less chaotic. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Dr. Destroyer vs. Scotland

Dr. Destroyer's plan was to create a biological agent that would have latent effects that would kick in as children reached puberty. Everytime one of these children that was exposed reached puberty, a deadly plaque would be released killing many people in the area. He picked Glasgow because it was a major tourist area with a low Superhero population. The chemical that fails to interact is the binding agent that would have made the biological agent dorment until puberty. No binding agent means the effects took effect immediately, not gradually over time.

This may be a nit-pick' date=' but I think you have the number of survivors low. http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-facts2.html[/quote']

The survivors are only the children from the parents who die. There are a lot more children who "survive" the attack because they were never exposed to the agent. I'm just not counting them in the figure.

Well, I imagine this event would supercede whatever other campaign issues were going on and would push the PCs into capture/kill Dr. D mode (whether they're ready for that or not).

You know your game and players better than I do, but you might reconsider this plot element and its ramifications for the game.

Most Doctor Destroyer plots show Underwear Gnome logic.

Step #1: Destroy Glasgow!

Step #3: I Rule The World!

The plot you described is close enough to Wild Cards, so why not go all the way? Tellios has developed a nanite delivered retro-virus that he believes will allow him to mass manufacture supers, with the unfortunate side effect that it has proven to be fatal in 99% of his test subjects. He needs a much larger population to test it on.

He develops a delivery system that will allow for a controlled release of the virus, and as a private joke breeds himself a fake Doctor Destroyer to deliver the virus to Glasgow. Why Glasgow? A decent amount of international trade, and most of Scotland's heroes end up in the UK team based out of London, or the EU team in Paris, leaving Glasgow more or less open (the preceding cities can be changed as you like).

Then the plan goes wrong as you described, though I'd rather see a Scottish Super team interfere: the Caledonian (Scotland's answer to Superman), The Khanda (Sikh Sage and Warrior of God), Whipsaw (Steel Speedster with razor sharp claws), and Stone (Scottish rock-like strongman). The virus is released in the wrong mix, most of Glasgow is saved but many stiill die, you get your orphans, and Doctor Destroyer is surprised to hear that he has been blamed for destroying another city.

You might drop Doc entirely, as this would be the second city he has blown up.

He picked Glasgow because it was a major tourist area with a low Superhero population.

If the idea is to affect as many parts of the world as possible by hitting a major tourist centre (as I interpret it), Edinburgh might be more suited to his needs. While Glasgow has almost as much tourism as Edinburgh, it is mostly UK tourism. Edinburgh attracts far more international tourism, almost three times the number of international visitors annually according to the last figures I saw.

Though why I'm trying to persuade you to blow up my city I'm not really sure. :think:

If the idea is to affect as many parts of the world as possible by hitting a major tourist centre (as I interpret it)' date=' Edinburgh might be more suited to his needs. While Glasgow has almost as much tourism as Edinburgh, it is mostly UK tourism. Edinburgh attracts far more [i']international[/i] tourism, almost three times the number of international visitors annually according to the last figures I saw.

Though why I'm trying to persuade you to blow up my city I'm not really sure. :think:

Edinburgh has the Hard Rock Cafe. Doctor Destroyer fears the Hard Rock Cafe; it is his secret weakness, and his darkest shame.

If the idea is to affect as many parts of the world as possible by hitting a major tourist centre (as I interpret it)' date=' Edinburgh might be more suited to his needs. While Glasgow has almost as much tourism as Edinburgh, it is mostly UK tourism. Edinburgh attracts far more [i']international[/i] tourism, almost three times the number of international visitors annually according to the last figures I saw.

I can work with Edinburgh. I initially ruled it out because the casuality rate would be much hired than prefered. Going with Edinburgh, what would be a good location in Edinburgh that I can say this took place at?

And does anyone have any better ideas for the superheroes who do show up?

I could maybe could instead use "Big Ben" as the time manipulation superhero who freezes Dr. Destroyer long enough for Blarney to knock him into orbit.

I can work with Edinburgh. I initially ruled it out because the casuality rate would be much hired than prefered. Going with Edinburgh, what would be a good location in Edinburgh that I can say this took place at?

I could maybe could instead use "Big Ben" as the time manipulation superhero who freezes Dr. Destroyer long enough for Blarney to knock him into orbit.

The Scottish League of Superheroes

UK Heroes Page

Some of Grant Morrison's UK Heroes

Well he would strike in August because that is festival month and the tourist count is higher than at any other time of year by a huge margin. Edinburgh Castle would probably be a great place to plant his bomb because the blast would hit both Princes Street (which it overlooks) and the Royal Mile (which it sits at the top end of). These are the two most tourist-packed parts of town, and the castle itself the most visited tourist attraction in Scotland. And it's an extremely dramatic location to blow up, of course.

Of course the fact that Edinburgh Castle still maintains an operational military barracks might make it hard for Dr Destroyer to plant his device, but OTOH there are (largely unfounded) rumours that there are ancient tunnels and passages in the rock underneath the castle, and of course in your campain world that could well be true...

I was planning on Dr D. destrying Glasgow as well in my campaign as well. I had planned that the good Dr. would be secretly based in the Armadillo..

http://www.cvscotland.com/acatalog/CAR0011%20The%20Armadillo%202%20-%20Glasgow.jpg

Scottish heroes:

Caber (what a tosser!)

Mad Mach (crazy Speedster)

Midden (smelly energy projector)

Granite (Aberdonian stoneman)

Touristy things to look out for in Edinburgh:

The new Scottish parliment

The Scott Monument

Luca's ice Cream

Scott Monument

Balmoral Hotel

Arthur's Seat

Hollyrood Palace

The Plague Street that was bricked up under the city and is supposedly haunted.