Best HERO Products for Military SF Campaigns

Mantis

:help: Well, I've got Star Hero already, and HERO 5ER is on order, and anxiously awaited :bounce:. I'm just trying to decide on my next purchase, if any. Since I don't have a local game store where I can sneak a peek inside the covers and assess other HERO products for myself :weep:, I solicit opinions from those of you who have looked between the covers as to the value of other products.

I'm interested in running a Military SF campaign based around a Starship Troopers/Forever War style. Powered armor vs Bug-Eyed Monsters! On this basis, what value, if any, would Alien Wars, The Ultimate Vehicle, HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook and Spacer's Toolkit have to me, or would I be just as well off designing such a campaign from scratch? Bear in mind I have little interest in other SF campaign "styles" nor in other genres, so anything that doesn't relate in some way to interstellar warfare is just so much ballast to me. Are there other products not on the above list that I should be considering?

[Not that I have anything against other genres, for example I have played Champions campaigns in the past using previous rules editions, but I just don't intend to run one again. No disrespect to other genres or offence intended to anyone! :) ]

All opinions appreciated!

Re: Best HERO Products for Military SF Campaigns

Since I figure you're after other fans' opinions, I'm going to limit myself to factual info about the books you mentioned.

The HSVS doesn't have any space vehicles, since we've already published plenty in various other books (including the ones you list). But if you think your campaign might get into planetside warfare, it has lots and lots of tanks, copters, etc. that you can easily adapt to an SF setting with a change of appearance and special effects.

TUV has info on space vehicles, but it's mostly reprinted from SH. It does have a few extra starships and such, though, as well as advanced rules for vehicle use and combat -- probably worthwhile if you want to have lots of starship battles and the like. It's also got an example of powered armor as a vehicle, and various mecha.

AW is our military SF setting. Even if it doesn't precisely match what you have in mind, I expect it will provide you lots of ideas, resources you can swipe, and so on.

ST has lots and lots of ships and SF gadgets, and I think would be a great resource for a military SF game.

Hopefully someday we'll be able to publish the "Military SF Hero" book that's been lurking in the back of my head for a while now....

Hopefully someday we'll be able to publish the "Military SF Hero" book that's been lurking in the back of my head for a while now....

Please do! The only reason I haven't purchased Alien Wars yet is because I know it will be mainly setting specific things as opposed to general military sf info.

The Horror

You might want to check out this Robot Warriors to 5th Edition Site.

Robot Warriors was an old book for pre-4th Edition Hero System. It dealt with Giant Robots (Battletech, Robotech, etc. type of stuff). The author of the sight has done a lot of good work converting the Mecha rules to Hero 5th Edition.

The site is written with those who own a copy of Robot Warriors in mind but I think you still might find something useful.

As a first step I would go with TUV. Its a great vehicle resource. It was invaluable to me for working on my B5 stuff. Like Steve said, it covers all sorts of vehicle designs, with plenty of samples (and cool art) to work from.

From there I'd probably get Spacer's Toolkit. Lot of good gear. Even if you don't use any of it, it gives you solid examples for building your own gear.

Then, search the Star Hero and Other Genre forums. I remember several conversations on military SF that listed lots of good references (both print and the internet).

As for settings like TE or AW, that all depends on how much you like the background story and 'universe.' Personally, I liked AW and TE, even though I will probably not run a game in either setting any time soon. I will say this though, if memory serves, AW is out of print, and is not likely to be reprinted. I think the same goes for TE. So, if you see copies and have the cash, I'd pick them up just to have as resources.

Oh, if you do make up your own campaign/universe, please let me know and I'll add it the the list of resources at starherofandom.

Aroooo

:I'm interested in running a Military SF campaign based around a Starship Troopers/Forever War style. Powered armor vs Bug-Eyed Monsters! On this basis' date=' what value, if any, would [i']Alien Wars[/i], The Ultimate Vehicle, HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook and Spacer's Toolkit have to me [...]

Alien Wars is your choice then. While those bug-eyed monsters in the setting, the Xenovores (that's right, "foreign-eaters". You are the foreigner.), have more similarity with John Ringo's Posleen (but the Xenovores seem actually better thought-through to me) than with the insectoids from starship troopers, they are an interesting opponent for players in a military SF campaign.

If I understand you correctly, you are planning a groundwar-based campaign, so the minor problems with the setting's spacecraft recently discussed here shouldn't bother you at all.

Actually, being a space geek, I am not quite sure whether the United Earth ground forces do have "power armor"- but they could be easily added should they not be included. (A ground war version of Shipyard, anyone?)

I agree with the suggestions for The Ultimate Vehicle if you intend to do a lot of ship design and/or combat, The Spacer's Toolkit for prebuilt stuff, and Alien Wars for useful military SF material to plunder for an "anti-bug" campaign. These three will give you most of what you'll need outside of your own imagination. ;)

For a sample of what you'll find in the Spacer's Toolkit, you can take a look at the Online version.

If you're interested in designing a lot of diverse aliens for your PCs to fight, you might consider the HERO System Bestiary. Hordes of creatures for all genres taken from numerous real and fictional sources, plus easily customizable templates to help you quickly build your own.

There are a number of other online HERO sources that you can lift from, too. For example, since you specifically mention Starship Troopers as one of your inspirations, you might want to check out these writeups for the Mobile Infantry Trooper and Mobile Infantry Armor.

May I also suggest taking a look at this discussion board thread. It has links to numerous HERO writeups for weapons, military space and planetary vehicles, powered armor, human soldier Package Deals, and aliens/nonhuman creatures, adapted from many other SF games and settings, including Traveller, Mechwarrior, 2300 AD, Gamma World, GURPS Ultratech, Robotech, Star Frontiers, and Warhammer 40,000.

Thanks for the replies, everyone - they've all helped (that includes your response, Steve - facts are always welcome!). :hail::rockon:

Now to get out my credit card and do some more ordering (cue happydance by Steve :bounce: ).

EDIT: For the record, I ordered Alien Wars, Ultimate Vehicle, and Spacer's Toolkit.

You might want to check out this Robot Warriors to 5th Edition Site.

Robot Warriors was an old book for pre-4th Edition Hero System. It dealt with Giant Robots (Battletech, Robotech, etc. type of stuff). The author of the sight has done a lot of good work converting the Mecha rules to Hero 5th Edition.

The site is written with those who own a copy of Robot Warriors in mind but I think you still might find something useful.

You can also purchase the 4th-Ed Robot Warriors in PDF format from the Online Store... plug plug plug

For Military SF besides the Star Hero books themselves, Dark Champions would be a great choice too because of all the detail on modern weapons would give you a solid baseline for logically expanding into detailed futuristic weapons. Also there's a bunch of Military, Police, and Spy Package Deals etc. IMO it would be a great resource for a SF Military game despite the temporal technological differences.