Bondage in the Old West

Rapier

I knew that would get your attention. The heroes are headed out west!! I've just about finished up the NPCs and such. Obviously, the NPCs are very cowboy & indian (which is only fitting since this last adventure was mostly cops...after indians comes construction workers. I can't wait until they notice my motif). So I decided you can't very well have a cowboy without a rope. I've built the rope/lasso as an MP. I was thinking good powers for a rope are Stretching (duh), an Entangle and some kind of Climbing/Clinging The Stretching was very easy (6" of Stretching...about 18'). Then the Entangle: my first impression was to just go with the Stretching and allow the rope to 'grab' the target with Stretching (the classic STR at Range). Then I ran into the problem of how much STR a rope had. Then I thought it should be an entangle. But I'm not so happy with the whole entangle thing. I can't even tell you specifically what I don't like about the rope-entangle. Lastly comes the climbing/clinging. I realised I was getting a little anal granularity in there and cut the climbing. The Stretching would provide a bonus to any climbing attempt, so I don't need to worry about that. If I REALLY decide I HAVE to do some climbing something it will be a couple Climbing Skill Levels. Whatcha think? Here is the Lasso. Anyone else wanna share a lasso?

Cost Power END
10 Lasso: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Cowboy Roll (-1/2)
1u 1) Stretching 6" (30 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Always Direct (-1/4) 3
1u 2) Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (30 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Limited Range (6"; -1/4), Nonresistant DEF (-1/4) 3
1u 3) +4 with Climbing (8 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 13

Guest Major Tom

Re: Bondage in the Old West

Considering the direction your campaign themes appear to be heading, I wouldn't

worry too much about trying to design a lasso MP, especially once your players

realize where you're going with your themes and break out their own lasso

to throw you a Western "necktie party" of their own.

Major Tom :whip:

YEEE-HAA!!

In Gadgets & Gear they have the Line-gun (or some such), which has a few similar powers, and the way they get around the STR problem is using TK instead of Stretching.

Don't know if you want to go that way, but it is a suggestion. :)

Ohhhhhh, TK. I like that. Much simpler too.

Guest bblackmoor

Then I thought it should be an entangle. But I'm not so happy with the whole entangle thing. I can't even tell you specifically what I don't like about the rope-entangle.

That's pretty odd, since Wonder Woman's lasso is pretty much the archetype of the Champions Entangle.

I have a copy of the old pre-5th Edition Western Hero. Unfortunatly it is not much help in designing a Lariat.

It does tell how the old lariats were usually made of twisted grass or braided rawhide. Thus they were stiff and would keep the noose open when it was thrown. In the old rules they simply allow the lasso to give the character the ability to do a Grab at up to 15" range. So, more or less, it is 15" Streching, Only to Grab.

I have a copy of the old pre-5th Edition Western Hero. Unfortunatly it is not much help in designing a Lariat.

It does tell how the old lariats were usually made of twisted grass or braided rawhide. Thus they were stiff and would keep the noose open when it was thrown. In the old rules they simply allow the lasso to give the character the ability to do a Grab at up to 15" range. So, more or less, it is 15" Streching, Only to Grab.

Yeah, that's where I went first. I was rather disappointed. How could the book cover Western RolePlaying and deal with a lariat? Thats like if Star Hero didn't mention FTL or something. I figure that is probably one in Gadgets N Gear, but I don't own him. I think I'll just run with the Stretching and rule the rest as SFX.

I found 15" of streching to be a bit surprising. That's 90' for goodness sake. The rope may be that long but I have a hard time seeing a normal person being able to lasso something that far away. Of course my only experience is watching the rodeo.

I found 15" of streching to be a bit surprising. That's 90' for goodness sake. The rope may be that long but I have a hard time seeing a normal person being able to lasso something that far away. Of course my only experience is watching the rodeo.

Yeah, that is pretty wild. I stuck with 6". I think about 20' is about all you can expect to get out of a good toss.

But it does beg that question. How would you build 50' of rope? I mean, I can understand them wanting to provide the utility of 50' or 90' but really. I'd be willing to call it 90' of rope. Let them players climb 90' down a wall.

50' Rope: 6" Stretching (30 AP, 15 Real) -1 OAF

Sometimes Hero can get in the way of itself. Just call it a hunk of rope and be done with it! :)

How would I build a longer rope?

Non Combat stretching

Combat stretching: the useful distance

Non combat: total length

I was thinking the same thing.

This is one SFX where combat/non-combat make perfect sense.

If you are trying to lasso a moving target, then it is "combat" and you can only do it so far away, quickly enough to catch something.

On the other hand, if you are trying to lasso a knob of rock so that you can climb up to the top of a ridge, and you have all day to do it, then non-combat.

KA.