Fantasy Codex

CTaylor

Well, I got the first volume of the Fantasy Codex done, it's a huge collection of spells and notes on creating spells in a fantasy setting, plus a full spell system for GMs to use in their games if they want. A bestiary at the end for the creatures summoned or mentioned in the spells is included - in total over 170 pages with loads of new art. Why do I mention it here?

Well, because it's officially licensed by Hero Games, and I thought I'd drop a note to spread the word about the product since it's part of the extended family, as it were. As Steve Long put it "...this isn't so horribly done that it makes us cry."

My email address is alphawolf10@hotmail.com if you want more info!

Re: Fantasy Codex

Nice.

But AFTER I get the second Grimoire :)

I take it that by "publishing marks" you mean the layout boxes for the columns.

In your first paragraph though, you say thousands of spells but in the dot points you have over 400 spells.

I know a thousand is over four hundred :) but if it is over a thousand, it is more impressive to say that, than merely over four hundred.

In your first paragraph though, you say thousands of spells but in the dot points you have over 400 spells.

I know a thousand is over four hundred :) but if it is over a thousand, it is more impressive to say that, than merely over four hundred.

Well... yeah I am editing that for the second printing. It's a bit confusing because the total Codex in both volumes is actually over 1000 spells, and that single codex has just under 500 spells (not counting variants of individual spells). It's not very clear so I want to clean it up.

Always room for more books out there, especially source material for fantasy! I've got quite a few planned, but so far the sales haven't been earth-shattering. This isn't the world's best time to introduce a product of this sort (people tend to be out of money this time of year) but I wanted to strike when I had the money and the opportunity, and it's not like the books will spoil like apples.

Guest Worldmaker

What I was planning was a database of some of the better known spells used by some of the mystic power players in the Global Guardians Universe.

Guess how many of the ones I came up with are identical to entries in your book. Or the USPD.

So I dropped the project.

Guest Worldmaker

You could do a database of the spells on the Fantasy Hero Treasure Trove website.

I thought about doing that. I also thought about converting the AD&D Wizard Spell Compendium books to Hero.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Worldmaker

as far as converting the wizard spell compendiums to HERO, you might want to look at the work Killershrike has already done on his high fantasy hero site.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Conversion2e/conversion2e.shtml

Even if I used Shrike's pages verbatim, that would only cover about a fourth of the Compendiums.

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to nudge this to remind people that the Fantasy Codex is still available for purchase, and that volume 2 is under production at the moment. Volume 2 will have Castle, Commerce, Dark, Demonology, Illusion, Mystical, Summoning, and War magics in it, plus a load of new monsters in the bestiary and a large section on how to use magic in your campaign, how to build spells wisely, and thoughts on using spell pools, and more!