Fantasy HERO Recommended Films

jml

Re: Fantasy HERO Recommended Films

I know it's a non-issue, I'm simply genuinely curious. I don't even want to argue about it.

If Steve doesn't like Dark Crystal, why not? -- that's what I'm asking. I can generally come up with a veritable slew of reasons why I don't like something.

I guess it's a silly question, and I'm not hounding for an answer. My curiousity can go unsated. I will mention it no more.

Mainly a question to Steve. Why is Dark Crystal not included in the fantasy film list? I'm genuinely curious.

As the filmography notes, it's mostly a list of Fantasy movies I like (and/or think are worth watching from a gaming perspective). I don't like Dark Crystal, so I didn't list it.

Why don't I like it? Honestly, I don't remember any specific reason. I saw it years ago, when it was released, and left the theater not liking it at all. Since I disliked it, I haven't ever watched it again, and hence my memory of it has faded. Too much other stuff to remember, so I gotta chuck something out to make room. ;)

From a gaming perspective, why should it have been included? Scenery was nice and some of the critters were neat, but that's about it. There was one weapon in the movie, and three(?) races.

Before the crystal was fixed, there are few possibilities of conflict. After the crystal was fixed, there are less, and I'm not even talking about fighting.

It does have all the elements of a classical fantasy tale though - the hero journey, the quest McGuffin, bad guys that are evil for the sake of being evil.

There are very few fantasy movies that show enough world detail to create their own setting. Most require a lot of work by a GM.