Wikipedia Superhero article(s)

Supreme Serpent

While looking for something else, ran across this. Very nice summary, could be a great resource for GMs bringing in players unfamiliar with the superhero genre.

An excerpt:

A willingness to risk one's own safety in the service of good, without expectation of reward.

A special motivation, such as revenge (e.g. Batman), a sense of responsibility (e.g. Spider-Man), or a formal calling (e.g. Green Lantern).

A secret identity.

A flamboyant, distinctive costume, usually to hide the secret identity. It often has bright colors and a symbol, such as a stylized letter or visual icon, on the chest. Costumes often reflect the superhero’s name and theme, for example Daredevil resembles a large, red devil and the design of Captain America’s costume echoes that of the American flag.

An arch enemy and/or a collection of regular enemies that s/he fights repeatedly.

An unusual weakness that limits the character or puts him/her in peril when his/her enemies attempt to exploit it, e.g. Superman’s vulnerability to the fictional element Kryptonite, Green Lantern’s inability to directly affect any object colored yellow.

Is either independently wealthy or has an occupation that allows for minimal supervision so their whereabouts do not have to be strictly accounted for, e.g. Superman's civilian job as a reporter.

A backstory, called an "origin story," in which the circumstances of the character acquiring his/her abilities is explained, as well as his/her motivation for fighting evil.

(edit) Gee, I guess I should add a link:

Wikipedia Superhero definition/article

Re: Wikipedia Superhero article(s)

Wikipedia is cool, but remember that anyone can contribute and there are a lot of people who really dislike Hero. As a minor but recent example, about a month and a half ago, I was examining Wiki's Generic RPG system page. I was surprised to find the following statement: "Both the Hero and the d20 systems have done this, creating special setting-specific rules that mean that you cannot take a character out of one world and put him in another without adding rules to the new world to accommodate him."

That hasn't been true since 4th edition, and I corrected it. Then I delved into the history of the page (each page has its own history tab, where you can check out previous versions and compare them). It's hilarious how petty some people get. The previous editor had only changed the order in which games were listed in an earlier paragraph so that GURPS came before Hero.

Vandalism is rampant, but correcting it is easy. Just make sure that if you write an extensive piece on a topic that you feel strongly about, that you check it from time to time and make reverts as necessary.

Actually, their entry on the HERO System is actually pretty good. The main bit of inaccuracy there is that it still makes a reference to Justice Inc. which is a little out of date. It does seem to have a good entry for Champions and the entry for Fantasy HERO was updated in December based on the new edition. It needs someone to go in and create an entry for Star HERO though. That's currently just a stub.

Wilkipedia is living proof that in the age of the Internet' date=' now more than ever, the ignorant are being replaced by the misinformed. And that quip comes from the one in which Eek is selling an "Encyclopedia of Misinformation!"[/quote']

I prefer:

First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a television. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure. --Douglas Adams

Wilkipedia is living proof that in the age of the Internet' date=' now more than ever, the ignorant are being replaced by the misinformed. And that quip comes from the one in which Eek is selling an "Encyclopedia of Misinformation!"[/quote']

Or:

We've heard that a million monkeys at a keyboard could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

--Robert Wilensky