Advantage Question: Lasts Until...

Citizen Keen

How would you go about building a power that lasted until certain conditions were met? While I know this exists for Change Environment, I was thinking more along the lines of a Drain:

How would you make a Drain that drained a certain Characteristic (say, STR), until the affected character performed some action? Example: a curse that must be removed by a remove curse.

I know I could do this with Transform (normal person into person cursed with less strength), but that seems clunky. Can anyone think of a streamlined advantage for Drain that would do the same?

Thoughts = appreciated.

Re: Advantage Question: Lasts Until...

Well, the simple fact that you can describe what you want with Transform in a very short sentence seems to indicate that it isn't clunky. :D

Honestly (IMO), Transform, in this case, would be the way to go. Unless there is more to the effect that you want to portray, I can't see anything that would be LESS clunky. (me :stupid: )

I think MitchellS's idea of using Uncontrolled is a good idea, but I'd make some refinements to it. I'd go with Suppress rather than Drain, and probably add Reduced END: 0 END.

An alternate method would be to buy down the Fade Rate to some sufficiently long period like 1 Century (+3.25 Advantage, I think), and than applying a Limitation like "All Points Return When X Is Done" -Z, with the value of Z being based on how difficult it is to accomplish.

This is a classic case of Transform. However, if you really want to use a Drain. use the Delayed Return Rate advantage stretched out to five point per year (or more), then reduce the value of that advantage by three steps if there is an obvious means of instantly regaining the points (the Drain is in the form of a glowing pair of wrist cuffs; breaking or dispelling the cuffs will restore the points), or reduce it by one step if the means for restoring the points requires research to find ("You may regain your lost strength if you smoke Cardiga weed picked by the light of the full moon"). If the regain conditions are too strict, it's just a case of extended effect with a 0 point method for ending it.

They have an example of exactly this sort of drain in Monsters, Minions, and Marauders. The Lamia has drain body that doesn't return (or basically doesn't, the return rate in in years) until the afflicted hears her scream. They used a long return rate and a limitation on the power. Simple to do, effective, and straight-forward. If you don't want the points to return at ALL, use a suppress with Costs END only to Activate (+1/4) and define the release of it as you wish.