Skaramine's Heroes and Villains

Guest Skaramine

Guest Skaramine

I want my own heroes and villains thread... and I'm building up my characters in HDC to prove it.

Ok... first out of the bat, Armada.

#

Armada

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

20 CON 20 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 15-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

20 COM 5 13-

20 PD 15 Total: 20 PD (20 rPD)

20 ED 16 Total: 20 ED (20 rED)

5 SPD 17 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

9 REC 0

40 END 0

37 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 166

Movement: Running: 11"/22"

Leaping: 10"/20"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

2 Cybernetic Hearing: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) (3 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [any other Sense] (Radio Sense; -1/4)

8 Built In Communications: HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (Hearing Group; -1/2)

5 Bionic Eyes: +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (6 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [any other Sense] (Radio Sense; -1/4)

5 Cybernetic Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups (6 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [any other Sense] (Radio Sense; -1/4)

12 Battle Staves: Multipower, 25-point reserve, (25 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

1u 1) Blocking: +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 2) Ricochet Shot: HA +1d6, Area Of Effect (16" Line; +1 3/4), Selective (+1/4), x8 Length (+0) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must Spend One CV Level To Rebound To Hand Or Will Not Recover Thrown Weapon; -1/4) 1

1u 3) Staff Whack: HA +5d6 (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 2

1u 4) Thrown Stave: HA +3d6, Ranged (+1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must Spend One CV Level To Rebound To Hand Or Will Not Recover Thrown Weapon; -1/4) 2

1u 5) Two Sticks, No Waiting: HA +4d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 2

5 Bionic Leaps: Leaping +5" (10" forward, 5" upward) 1

10 Bionic Speed: Running +5" (11" total) 1

8 Cybernetic Enhancements: LS (Extended Breathing; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)

20 Cybernetic Reinforcements: Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED)

Military Combat Training/Battle Staff Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 35 STR to Disarm

5 Evasion -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

4 Punch/Kick +0 +2 7d6 Strike

3 Tackle +2 +1 5d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

Perks

3 Fringe Benefit: Lieutenant

3 Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers

3 Reputation: Heroic Patriot (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6

3 SPIRAL team member: Fringe Benefit: Membership

Talents

3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

Skills

6 Combat Training: +2 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks

4 Thrown Stave: +2 with any single attack

2 AK: Blackwater 11-

2 AK: Europe 11-

2 AK: Middle East 11-

3 Conversation 14-

3 Demolitions 13-

2 KS: Arab Culture 11-

3 KS: Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World 13-

3 Linguist

1 1) Language: Arabic (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 2) Language: French (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 3) Language: German (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

1 4) Language: Italian (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

3 PS: Military Intelligence Officer 13-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Seduction 14-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 14-

5 TF: Large Military Ships, SCUBA, Small Military Ships, Submarines, Surfing

3 Tactics 13-

3 Teamwork 14-

5 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms, Vehicle Weapons

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 184

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: The Rebuilders 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Mental Attacks That Affect Machines (Uncommon)

20 Hunted: SPIRAL's Rogue's Gallery 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: United States Military 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

15 Hunted: Militia 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

10 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Feels Like An Outcast And A Monstrosity (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: In Love With Boneface (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Selfless, Puts Others Before Herself (Common, Total)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Electrical and Magnetic Attacks (Common)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: The last thing she remembered was pain. Fire and agony, splitting her world as the rocket slammed into her HUMMV. Now, they stood around her. She wasn't sure who they were, their faces were covered, masks across their noses and mouths, and mirrored lenses over their eyes. They worked with silent, swift precision. Amanda couldn't feel what was going on, but she could see, out of her peripheral vision, pieces of her dropped into a sterile canister.

"Wh... what happened?" she managed to say.

"Subject is conscious and cogniscent."

"Excellent. Cybersystems and respiratory enhancements are working in unison."

"Be not afraid, child. We are repairing the damage done to you."

Amanda could see her face in the glasses of the... person... working on her. She could see exposed facial muscles and bare cheekbones. She swallowed hard. Almost three quarters of her face had disappeared, leaving only red, raw flesh beneath. "Oh God..."

"Don't worry. We'll make everything right again. It will be okay."

Amanda couldn't even close her eyes, or relax her muscles. All she could do was wait for the Rebuilders to finish...

#

"Our debt has been repaid," the Rebuilder told her. "What you do with your life now is your own choice."

Amanda Kirk looked at herself in the mirror. She was taller, but she recognised herself. She was stronger, faster, and her senses were sharper than ever. She knew the term for her enhancement - she was a cyborg. But the thing she saw in the mirror, the pretty face and perfect skin were not the image she saw. Instead, she remembered the image in the Rebuilder's lenses. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw the hideous, faceless wreckage of what she used to be. Her skin was polymer, carefully sculpted to look exactly like her old face. But she knew that it was all fake. She was a cripple in a high-tech wheelchair. She was blind, deaf, and had no sense of touch. She remembered the movie, "Johnny Got His Gun."

"Are you well, Amanda?" the Rebuilder asked.

She shook her head. "It's all fake."

"We tried to do our best, child," the Rebuilder replied. She looked at him, slender, gaunt, with gray flesh and large, oval black eyes seperated by two slit nostrils over a lipless mouth. "If you wish, we can modify your memory..."

"No," Amanda answered. "I am who I am. Putting a hole in my mind would only force me to look for the answers..."

"Yes. It is the way of your family," the Rebuilder told her. He placed his delicate hand in hers. "Our debt... has not been repayed to the Kirk family."

"It's not your fault," Amanda stated. "You did right by me, my family. Thank you."

The Rebuilder blinked its large eyes, and did its best to smile with that lipless mouth. "What shall you do now?"

Amanda looked at her hands. "What I swore an oath to. To serve my country, to protect the American people."

She frowned. "Not just America. Anyone who needs help. You gave me powers... and you showed me that the world is a much smaller place than I thought. I'm still me, and I have my responsibilities, but I also have a new duty."

The Rebuilder nodded. "Then you have chosen as we felt you would. Luck be with you, child."

With that, Amanda watched the starship and the Rebuilder disappear around her, replaced with the crater where her HUMMV still burned.

#

It took a lot of convincing, but the United States Navy finally accepted that Naval Intelligence Lieutenant Amanda T. Kirk had been enhanced and rebuilt in the space of a few moments. She was one of the rare abductees who recalled with clarity her ordeal. The Navy realized that with her subsequent changes, she could be useful in undercover roles, but with her newly acquired cybernetic enhancements, she could be put to better use.

She was transferred to SPIRAL, the Special Paranormal Investigation, Response team Assisting Law enforcement. The US Government wanted a replacement for their previous military member of the team, who turned out to be a white supremacist. Amanda was given the codename Armada, due to her Naval background. The previous member, the brutal madman now known as Militia, has since become a hated enemy of hers. Meeting Kurt Dixon, Boneface, has given her a sense of belonging, and has started giving her the ability to reconcile her self-image problems. However, as a member of SPIRAL, she has finally found her true calling, having US Government support, but also the ability to help anyone, anywhere, and along with Boneface, is the senior most member of the Blackwater-based SPIRAL team, the flagship group of the super-organization.

Personality/Motivation: Amanda is a dedicated, intense young woman who is devoted to the ideals of patriotism and the American Dream. While wrapped in the colors of the US flag, she is fully aware of flaws in politics, and instead her efforts are steered in the direction of the greater common good. She is highly patriotic, but she is no politician's slave. A discussion with her on her views will find an even balance of liberal and conservative views, all supportable by facts, research, and intelligent reasoning.

Amanda is a champion of the weak and those in need of assistance. While she is fully capable of opening a can of whup-ass on anyone threatening people she considers under her protection (which includes almost everyone, including some of her super-powered teammates), she is also quite easily found applying her great strength and endurance towards relief work.

Her only real weakness is her self-image. She remembers fully what she looked like when she awakened on the Rebuilders' table. That image haunts her to this day, and even though she is a beautiful woman, she sees herself as a grotesque mockery of a human being. Only the loving care of Kurt Dixon, Boneface, has brought her back from dark depression, but even so, she still needs to be convinced as to her beauty.

Quote: "There's always a better way. Working together, we can effect wonderous good."

(In combat with Militia)

"I regret I have but two fists to give for my country... but here, you can have some. In fact, take seconds, you racist prong!"

Powers/Tactics: Armada is a front line skull-knocker. Her cybernetics have enhanced her strength and reflexes, and she can survive impacts which would turn lesser humans to pulp. While not a full-fledged brick, she can easily lift three quarters of a ton, and her combat training enables her to punch through anthing short of a stone wall. With her battle staves, she is simply devastating in combat, and has learned some excellent tricks. Not only can she smack someone, or pummel them with rapid strikes, she is also quite skilled at throwing them. She can hurl the baton with enough force to punch through a brick wall, or with enough finesse that she can bounce the stick off several targets with enough force to stun them. She's also good enough to bounce the sticks so that they can return to her hand. The staves are made of Questonite, and thus can take a lot of punishment. She is also skilled at using the staves defensively, and has been able to deflect even bullets and energy blasts, though it is hit and miss.

In combat, Armada is reluctant to use lethal force, and will only resort to it in an emergency. She feels that she is good and skilled enough not to have to kill someone, and always pulls her punches against unknown opponents until she can gauge how much she can open up on them, unless they are deliberately trying to kill people themselves. She still prefers not to kill, but if she does kill a homocidal opponent, she will not suffer much regret.

Her cybernetics make her vulnerable to cyberpathic mental powers and electrical and magnetic assaults, and radio jamming or radar-based flashes can interfere with her cybernetic senses.

Campaign Use: A patriotic superhero with a little bit of a twist. She is a blend of Wonder Woman and Captain America, full of idealism, combat ability, and of course, the red, white and blue jammies. The Rebuilders are left a bit vaguely defined, and it is up to the GM to decide what their true nature is. Whatever the case, they owe her family a debt, leaving it open to interpretation as to what this debt is. As she is a member of SPIRAL, she has a lot of law enforcement authority, as well as having her commission as a US Naval Officer.

As a combat commander, she is very skilled, and works well with others. Teamed with Boneface, the two of them are impeccable. As she is Boneface's lover, and she's highly devoted to him as an equal partner (the only member of her team she never felt the need to "babysit"), if anything happened to Kurt, she'd be very much involved.

Plot Seed: VIPER wants Armada's cybernetics in order to reverse engineer her enhancements. SPIRAL, not wanting one of their finest heroines kidnapped, entreats the PC's to act as security for her, but the PC's have to keep this secret. Armada is not a shrinking violet, and if she found out that her assignment to cross-train and evaluate the PC's was actually a protection detail for her, she might just go after VIPER herself. The PC's, naturally, are caught in a classic rock and a hard place scenario.

Plot Seed: Armada puts in an appearance at a Veteran's Administration hospital when Militia, diagnosed with Gulf War Syndrome, stages an attack with a few disgruntled ex-super soldiers. The PC's find themselves having to protect patients and deal with armed and angry white supremacists. Remember, exploding oxygen tanks count as an RKA explosion...

Plot Seed: The Rebuilders request help. With the rest of SPIRAL-Blackwater off on other missions or laid up with injuries, Armada and Boneface turn to the PC's as backup to help this alien race deal with their problems. But, on arrival, they notice among the troublemakers henchmen who resemble Kurt - non-powered aliens with skeletal, bone-white appearances. What's up with that?

Appearance: Armada is a tall, athletically built redhead with short hair. She wears a domino mask, but really makes no effort to conceal her true identity. She wears a dark blue bodysuit with red trim and two parallel strips of red and white, separated by the dark blue across the center of her chest, with a large white star in the upper left side of her chest. She has red gloves and boots, and a red belt which carries her battle staves in a pouch on her left hip - she's naturally left-handed, but learned to be ambidexterous. She writes, eats and surfs left-handed, or goofy-footed.

Guest Skaramine

Re: Skaramine's Heroes and Villains

Pretty cool character Doug' date=' you actually played her or is this just an intellectual exercise, like all the characters I create knowing I'll likely never get to play them?[/quote']

Pretty much an intellectual excercise. I love the game, would like to play again, but have no one in my area to play with.

Guest Skaramine

Very good origin story' date=' strong motivation for being a hero, good power set, very good skill set. Well done. :)[/quote']

Thanks. I kind of like the AOE: Line for the one Thrown Stave. It represents that "Captain America throws his mighty shield" effect that I've been trying to build up.

Thanks. I kind of like the AOE: Line for the one Thrown Stave. It represents that "Captain America throws his mighty shield" effect that I've been trying to build up.

I don't normally comment on specific mechanics; campaigns vary too much, and my build style often doesn't match that of players and GMs I respect. That said, what I really liked was her potential as a sweep artist using Two Staves No Waiting; on a low DCV foe or in a surprise attack, she might land 4-5 11d6 shots in one phase. If you replaced the Tackle with a Takedown, she could takedown a lower speed foe and then sweep them whle they were on the ground. She has great MPA potential as well, say a Disarm followed by a 12d6 staff whack. Very deadly lady. :)

Guest Skaramine

I don't normally comment on specific mechanics; campaigns vary too much' date=' and my build style often doesn't match that of players and GMs I respect. That said, what I really liked was her potential as a sweep artist using Two Staves No Waiting; on a low DCV foe or in a surprise attack, she might land 4-5 11d6 shots in one phase. If you replaced the Tackle with a Takedown, she could takedown a lower speed foe and then sweep them whle they were on the ground. She has great MPA potential as well, say a Disarm followed by a 12d6 staff whack. Very deadly lady. :)[/quote']

Well, a few XP here, and a player-option switch there, and she'll be great for martial arts.

Definitely, as she gains some XP's, she'd focus very much on a few things:

Leadership (overall Skill levels, Usable By Others, Up to 8 simultaneously)

More marts maneuvers

New tricks with her cybernetic web (Mind control vs. machines, mind-link with the Internet, various spectrums of vision, microscopic vision)

And of course, Missile Deflection with the staves. I just have this image of Armada standing in front of a frightened group of children, swatting AK-47 bullets out of the air with her battle staves, a la Wonder Woman.

And maybe some Find Weakness, and a VPP of backup gadgets.

As for being a deadly lady... she can be if she has to be. :D

Guest Skaramine

Bison01.jpg

The Bison

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

50 STR 40 19- Lift 25.6tons; 10d6 [5]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

33 CON 46 16-

12 BODY 4 11-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 14-

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

8 COM -1 11-

22 PD 12 Total: 22 PD (12 rPD)

18 ED 11 Total: 18 ED (12 rED)

5 SPD 22 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

17 REC 0

66 END 0

54 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 173

Movement: Running: 12"/24"

Leaping: 10"/20"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

7 Head Butt: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 1

12 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (12 PD/12 ED)

20 Heavy and Skilled In Combat: Knockback Resistance -10"

10 Magical Being: Power Defense (10 points)

5 Strong Will: Mental Defense (8 points total)

12 Long Legs: Running +6" (25" total) 1

9 Heightened Senses: +3 PER with all Sense Groups

11 Ultimate Charge: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Running +13" (25" total) (26 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x8 END; -3 1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) 26

13 Regeneration: Healing BODY 2d6 (20 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2) 2

11 Adapted To Hell: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing; Longevity: 1600 Years; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)

Pit Fighter

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Punch/Kick/Headbutt +0 +2 12d6 Strike

Notes: 14d6 with Headbutt.

4 Charge +0 -2 12d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove

Notes: 16d6 for standard running. Ultimate Charge does a full 21d6.

4 Was That Supposed To Hurt? +2 +2 Block, Abort

Perks

6 Spiral Membership: Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers, Membership

6 Reputation: Heroic Giant With Heart of Gold (A large group) 14-, +2/+2d6

Skills

6 +2 with Pit Fighting

6 Charge: +3 with Charge

2 AK: Blackwater 11-

2 AK: Hell 11-

2 Animal Handler (Bovines) 13-

2 KS: Demonology 11-

2 KS: Pit Fighting 11-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Paramedics 11-

3 Persuasion 13-

6 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Temperate/Subtropical, Desert) 11-

3 Tactics 11-

3 Teamwork 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 177

200+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features: Nine foot tall humanoid bison (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Avoids harming innocents in any way or killing anyone (Common, Strong)

5 Physical Limitation: Large (9 ft tall, 200kg) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Ironclad; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

20 Hunted: Firewing 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Public Identity: Buddy Freeman (Frequently, Major)

15 Hunted: The Devil's Advocates 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Morningstar 8- (Less Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

5 Distinctive Features: Magickal Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

20 Hunted: United States Government 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

Background/History: The plains stretched out magestically, but it had lived all its life on them. Their beauty didn't register, only that they were empty, and there was fresh, succulent grass to eat. It lowered its head and began to chew. A light like the sun burned, but from the wrong direction for this time of day. The bison tensed, turning towards the newcomers. They didn't look like two-legs, and when they spoke, it understood what they were saying.

"That one. The big one. He looks good."

"You sure this is gonna work? I mean..."

"Yeah yeah yeah. We cut up a human, fit them together, and we've got a pretty cool little bit of meat for the arena."

The bison didn't know what the arena was, but as they spoke, the mental imagery burst through its mind. It was a horror that it would kill to escape. It charged one of the two-legs, hitting it dead on in the chest. The impact threw the intruder a dozen yards, but fire wrapped around the Bison's throat, roping it down. It struggled, but the other two-leg was too strong.

"Scratch? Scratch! You okay?"

The one called Scratch didn't move. Ribs poked through its chest. It was the first time that the Bison had slain.

It wouldn't be the last.

#

For centuries, the Bison, after being mutated by magical surgeries and sorcery, fought for his life. He despaired horribly at the thought of killing in the ring, even though most of the gladiators condemned to fight were damned souls strapped to horrendous bodies. He longed for a chance to escape, but found no real way out. Finally, he was given the opportunity when he, along with several other undefeated gladiators, were sent to Earth as a scouting party to gather fresh new meat for the ring. The Bison was sent to collect Ironclad, and after a furious conflict, the Bison managed to knock out the alien Champion. When his handler showed up to collect the two fighters, the Bison ambushed the demon. The blow made his charge that slew Scratch, centuries before, seem like a kiss on the cheek. Windows across Millenium City shattered.

The Bison fled, pursued by Ironclad's allies. When the other demonic gladiators were called in to contain the escapee and drag him back to Hell, it became a three way brawl that required additional assistance. The Champions put out a call for help, and the Blackwater SPIRAL team arrived on the scene. Boneface managed to figure out that the Bison didn't want to go back to hell, and deliberately was pulling his punches against the Earth heroes who confronted him. The brilliant acrobat managed to convince the rest of the SPIRAL team and the Champions that the horned newcomer was actually a sympathetic force. No longer concentrating on the Bison, and working with the hulking beast, the united heroes fought successfully against the demonic invaders until Witchcraft was able to construct a gate which hurled the intruders back to their own world.

The Bison was glad for the reprieve and for the first time in hundreds of years, breathed the air of Earth once more. SPIRAL offered to take care of the creature, granting him citizenship and a name, Buddy Freeman, as well as membership in the Blackwater team, where he has served with distinction as one of the world's greatest superheroes. In return, the team has devoted a lot of energy familiarizing the great creature with human society, although conversations with the damned who arrived in Hell have kept Buddy rather well up-to-date on Earthly affairs, so he is not a fish out of water.

Unfortunately, efforts to reconcile with Ironclad have fallen flat, and the two remain rivals, engaging in arm-wrestling contests and poking fun at each other in interviews. Fortunately, they're mature enough not to break out into brawls, though Buddy did "accidentally" dump 50,000 gallons of mud on Ironclad when the pair had just battled Firewing. Fortunately, the conflict with the alien villain had died down and ended.

As well, the Bison has become a prize for the Devil's Advocates, who seek the favor of the demon who rebuilt Buddy into the being he is today. After a particularly brutal fight where the Advocates enlisted Morningstar's aid to fight him, the Bison earned a hated enemy as the demonic mercenary did not appreciate the pummeling he took at the Bison's hooves and horns.

Personality/Motivation: Buddy has been sickened by his career of killing in Hell's Colloseum. He is at heart a gentle herd animal, seeking companionship and stability. However, he is fully aware of his responsibilities. As such, he sees himself as part of a far larger herd than ever before - the human race. While he is sensitive about the near extinction of his species, he is heartened by the kindness of naturalists and ecology minded humans everywhere. As well, he is enamored of his team-mates and the other superhumans he meets. He is one of them, even though they are of species as strange and varied as the numbers of his old herd four hundred years ago. Their acceptance of him has given him hope, and his bull-instincts have changed. He protected his old herd from predators, and now, he protects humanity from predators too - except these predators are called criminals, and they prey upon their own kind.

He will do his best not to kill, but he fully realizes that in some instances, it is an unfortunate necessity, although he always checks with his teammates to see if there is one last option out. Fortunately, SPIRAL has proven resourceful enough to not have to add blood to his hands on more than a handful of occasions, and even then, some of those villains have returned from the grave, as villains are wont to do. It still does not make Buddy's decisions easier, but he does his best.

Buddy is a gentle being at heart - he's a vegetarian, though he doesn't mind junk food unless it's blatantly a meat product. He felt sick for weeks after accidentally eating a package of Dragonstar's BBQ pork rinds, though it was more from guilt than anything else. When he felt better, Buddy repaid Dragonstar back, offering the young hero what he claimed was sliced watermelon, but was actually holographically disguised tomatoes (Dragonstar HATES raw tomatoes). Buddy has a bit of a mischievous streak, possibly gained from hanging around too many damned souls, and his talent for practical jokes is evident. People he owes (and who can take it) often end up on the receiving end of giant mud-pies (Ironclad), super sneezes (SPIRAL's paperwork would have been ruined for a year if Jette hadn't reorganized it), and garden-variety pranks for those people who can't take his full might.

As one of SPIRAL's premiere heroes, he has been around the world several times and made the acquaintences of others. One man that he particularly admires is the legendary Tan Rejar, the Canadian hero known as Myrmidion. Both have suffered similarly through their lives, and they are close friends. He's sore at Ironclad for being obstinate over their first encounter, but that only means that Ironclad ends up on the receiving end of his pranks when SPIRAL and the Champions work together.

Quote: "I've been to Hell, human. You wouldn't last five minutes there, so I highly suggest you repent and surrender and save us both a lot of time and pain. My time, and your pain."

Powers/Tactics: The Bison is a cautious fighter. After spending too long in the slaughter pits of Hell, fighting for the amusement of demons, he is loathe to resort to lethal force against an innocent or a misunderstood opponent. However, after sufficient observation of tactics and motives, Buddy wades right in. He's made a point of making sure his horns are blunt, so he doesn't accidentally kill someone by goring them, but he's fully aware that he can easily plow through reinforced concrete with his charge. Any mortal who gets caught in his path could easily end up dead. Even so - he is willing to headbutt an opponent, his horns giving him the equivalent of brass knuckles.

The Bison is skilled at standard, hominid-style combat, and reserves his Ultimate Charge for truly tough opponents like Grond or Doctor Destroyer. Generally, he holds off on his Ultimate Charge because it saps so much endurance, and by the time he resorts to this tactic, he's burning STUN for Endurance anyway.

The Bison is relatively soft as bricks go, but he's skilled at ignoring hand-to-hand combat blows, as duplicated by his block maneuver. Fortunately, his speed and skill make up for any deficiencies he has in raw toughness. If that's not enough, he recovers swiftly from all but crippling injuries, and his REC of 17 pops him back into fights even when he looks like he's down for the count.

Campaign Use: The Bison is your average mystical brick with animal powers. More or less. The first thing to remember is that he is not a human. While his mind was expanded and altered by sorceries, it has only been centuries of adaptation, and being forced to battle for his life on a daily basis that has made him the creature that he is today. He is not proud of his career as a gladiator, about the only saving grace in regards to his relationship with Ironclad.

His demonic origins provide plenty of plot hooks, especially since there are villainous mages who would love to tap the sorceries that created him. The Demonologist of the Devil's Advocates wants to reverse engineer the Bison so that he can create his own menagerie of superhuman warriors. Fortunately, the Bison has proven too resilient, and has too many allies who can assist him against most of their plots. As one of SPIRAL's premiere heroes, he has been around the world several times and made the acquaintences of others, so his friends are far and wide. He is also well respected among the populace because of his heroics, his gentle nature, and his selfless protection of bystanders when it comes to battle.

Plot Seed: The Great Contest. An otherworldly fight promoter (alien or mystical) has kidnapped several of Earth's mightiest combatants, including the Bison, Ironclad, Myrmidion and the most gladitorial of the PC's (use your friendly neighborhood Wolverine clone if strapped for contenders), intending to use them in bloodsports. Earth's heroes are reluctant to kill, but the promoter is threatening Earth if they don't take the "games" seriously. Your PC now has to battle the Bison. Can the other PC's, as well as the others' allies, rescue them in time? Or will your PC figure a way out. As well, this would be an excellent chance to start a new team, constructing combatants from Earth and other planets/dimensions. The PC's could all be former, unallied gladiators (willing or unwilling) who unite to rebel against the great contest. Ironclad, Myrmidion and the Bison would make excellent mentors for this budding super-team as they struggle to escape the bloodsports.

Plot Seed: The Bison hasn't been heard from in a month and is due back from his vacation. Just as the worries mount, the PC's home city comes under attack by humanoid animals of tremendous speed, strength and/or power. Has the Demonologist captured Buddy, and is it too late to save the stalwart SPIRAL brick? And what about the new army of minions commanded by the Devil's Advocates?

Plot Seed: Timelost. The PC's are flung into the far future - a thousand years hence. Completely lost, the PC's struggle to find a way home when they come across an old familiar face - Buddy Freeman. Nearing the end of his long lifespan, the Bison is a little slower and weaker, but he makes up for it with a millenium of combat experience and savvy. The PC's have to work together with the ancient super-being to get back home, which may just bring them all into conflict with the Comte St. Germaine, another sorcerous immortal who has the means of sending the PC's home. But at what cost?

Appearance: Buddy/the Bison is a nine foot tall humanoid with digigrid hooved feet, a bison-like head, complete with horns, and covered in fur. He has human-like hands.

The Bison prefers to wear clothes as human looking as possible, although with his physiology and mass, he generally makes do with loose, sleeveless shirts, usually open at the sides, and knee-length shorts. As he is immune to intense heat and cold, this offers no problem for the gentle giant. His combat uniform, however, consists of form-fitting, but breathable pants constructed of tough materials. He's been in enough battles to realize that anything he wears on his torso is going to be shredded by his opponents.

HDC file attached to the New Circle Post.

Guest Skaramine

One of the baddest of the bad in my universe...

Soulrider

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6 [1]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

30 CON 40 15-

30 BODY 40 15-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

30 EGO 40 15- ECV: 10

30 PRE 20 15- PRE Attack: 6d6

12 COM 1 11-

10 PD 8 Total: 10 PD (0 rPD)

10 ED 4 Total: 10 ED (0 rED)

6 SPD 30 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 4

60 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 209

Movement:

Flight: 10"/20"

Cost Powers END

204 Bodyjacking: (Total: 489 Active Cost, 204 Real Cost) Mind Control 18d6, Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; +0), Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Affects Physical World (+2) (337 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Must Achieve EGO +30 (-1/2), Linked (???; -1/2) (Real Cost: 135) plus Clinging (normal STR), Affects Physical World (+2) (30 Active Points); Only To Remain Merged With A Body If Moved Involuntarily (-2), Linked (???; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Telepathy 7d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Affects Physical World (+2) (122 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Only On Possessed Target (-1/2) (Real Cost: 61)

53 Incorporeal Being: Desolidification (affected by magic or attack which effects possessed), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

18 To Seek His Perfect Prey - Starrior: Detect A Single Thing 18- (Unusual Group), Range, Tracking

50 Wandering Damned Soul: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

10 Strong of Will: Mental Defense (16 points total)

20 Unfettered By Gravity: Flight 10" 2

62 Ghostly Resillience and Possessing Vitality: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Affects Physical World (+2) (140 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4)

50 Ride 'Em Hard And Put 'Em Away Wet: Succor 4d6, all Bodyjacked Victims powers and Attributes simultaneously (+2), Affects Physical World (+2) (100 Active Points); Others Only (-1/2), Linked (Bodyjacking; -1/2) 10

19 The Pick of The Armies of Hell: Summon 8 350-point Demonic Beings, Weak-Willed -2 on EGO Rolls (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Limited Group (+1/2) (149 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, Character May Take No Other Actions, -4 1/4), OAF Immobile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; Captured Human; -2 1/4), Only When Serving Hell's Purposes (-1/2) 15

Perks

5 Generalship In Hell's Army: Fringe Benefit: General

9 Reputation: Hell's Greatest General (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6

Skills

19 Two Hundred Years of Battle Experience: +2 with All Combat, Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (24 Active Points); Usable By Others Only Works For Bodyjacked Target Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)

3 AK: America 13-

3 AK: Hell 13-

3 Acting 15-

2 Animal Handler (Equines) 15-

3 Bribery 15-

3 Bureaucratics 15-

3 Conversation 15-

3 Demolitions 13-

3 High Society 15-

3 Interrogation 15-

2 Language: Native American Languages (fluent conversation)

2 Language: Spanish (fluent conversation)

2 Navigation (Land) 13-

3 Oratory 15-

3 Persuasion 15-

3 Riding 13-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Demonology (3 Active Points) 13-

4 2) KS: Military History (5 Active Points) 15-

2 3) KS: Native American Tribes (3 Active Points) 13-

2 4) KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Seduction 15-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 15-

3 Tactics 13-

3 Teamwork 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 591

Total Cost: 800

650+ Disadvantages

20 Psychological Limitation: Racist and Sexist (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Hates Native Americans (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Hunts Starrior (Common, Strong)

5 Hunted: Starrior 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Ego Attacks (Common)

10 Distinctive Features: A Damned, Bodyjacking Soul (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

5 Hunted: Native American Superheroes or Super-Team 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Susceptibility: When Forcible Ejected From "His Ride", 3d6 damage Instant (Common)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Native American Magicks (Uncommon)

15 Physical Limitation: No Body of His Own, Must Hijack Others (Infrequently, Fully Impairing)

15 Social Limitation: Subject To Orders From The Fallen Angel (Frequently, Major)

Background/History: As they descended upon him, he cursed their names, begging for anyone who could give him the power to strike back, to exterminate their wretched kind from the face of the Earth. The General empited his last shot into one of those bastard redskins, watching with satisfaction as the bastard collapsed to the earth. He bled, the arrows sunk into his flesh, and then the ultimate insult. They pulled his head back and hacked his scalp off, waving it around as a trophy.

Damn them all... he cursed, cursing even God for His abandonment in this holy crusade against the cancer on his soil.

And then... he died.

#

"Hello, George. You called?"

"Where am I?"

"It's not Heaven. But then, after you told Him to f--- off and die, not to mention killing unarmed women and children, He wasn't going to let you up there anyways."

"You mean... you mean that He doesn't see the need to kill them all?"

Lucifer shook his head slowly. "Nope. Sorry. But, me, I can't look a gift horse in the mouth."

"I'll be working for the devil."

"Call me Luke."

Lucifer extended his hand, and they shook. Custer had expected his skin to be blazing hot, but instead, it was cool, warm to the touch.

"Cool-hand Luke."

"I like the sound of that," Lucifer answered. "You have something you want done. I need a general to lead my armies."

"Can I have my body back?" Custer asked.

"Sorry."

"Then I'll take what I can get."

Lucifer grinned. "Now there's a VERY good idea..."

#

He wasn't human, but he was white, he looked like a proper American, and he had two qualities which made the Soulrider love him - he had an incredibly long lifespan, and he possessed immense power. He was an alien called Ren Gar, but the world knew him as Starrior. The Soulrider relished the power he possessed, and though Starrior fought with all his strength against killing those Custer hated, it was for naught.

But his sister, and the alien's friends fought back against him. They knew he was possessed, and Soulrider struggled, but the witch who sided with them excorcised him. It was an epic battle, but Custer knew he'd seek this one again. He was perfect for the cause. Others were good, but they looked alien, or were deformed, or they were animals. And he wouldn't even think twice about keeping a woman's body, or one of the mud-people.

No.

The Starrior was Perfect. The Soulrider would enjoy forcing this one into servitude in the Armies of Hell.

Personality/Motivation: The Soulrider gave his all for this nation, and in the end, was ultimately betrayed. Instead of being avenged, the US Government coddled the redskins, gave rights to the blacks and hispanics and to the orientals. Custer has seen his beloved land poisoned by mollycoddling bleeding heart liberals, and he wants to make a change. He will do whatever he has to to make America strong and pure again. And the weapon he most wishes to use is Starrior.

Of all the "mud-peoples" he hates Native Americans the most, and will do anything to destroy them, including hijacking their bodies and forcing them to committ unforgivable atrocities. Fortunately, he's been stopped in the past from doing too much damage, but it's been pure luck that Soulrider hasn't committed genocide.

Quote: "I'm back in the saddle again. And I brought a few friends with me..."

Powers/Tactics: The Soulrider is one of the most dangerous forms of ghosts that ever existed - a Bodyjacker. His general tactics are to find a relatively easy to conquer opponent (low Ego/mental DEF) and take him or her over. He's a good actor and can mimic their abilities, attitudes and speech patterns, and for the most part, while he's biding his time, he maintains the original target's lifestyle until he sees his opportunity to take over a stronger target. Unfortunately, since the target is aware of being conquered, Soulrider is forced tomake his transfers loud and noisy. As well, unconscious opponents are much easier to move in on.

Soulrider can also turn captured humans into hosts for superhuman beings - dead supervillains condemned to hell, demons, and other minions of the fire down below. Unfortunately, the process requires 24 hours of continuous summoning before he can activate his demons. Plus, he has to catch the targets first.

What makes a victim captured by the Soulrider so dangerous is his ability to increase the physical abilities and powers of a target. Normal humans become stronger and faster, and extremely good fighters under his control. When he conquers a superhuman target, all bets are off. This aid, plus his combat skills honed from over a hundred years of evildoing, makes him one of the most dangerous threats the world has ever faced.

Campaign Use: Soulrider is evil incarnate, and he's just taken over your best buddy. On the one hand, you're warranted in engaging in tactics you reserve for the most hated of your foes because he's a racist piece of scum seeking to expand the armies of Hell on Earth. On the other, he's just hijacked your teammate's body, or the body of a respected NPC hero or normal, and turned them into an unstoppable fighting machine that you have to restrain. Add to that, he has no qualms about killing "the unworthy" (liberals, conservatives, non-whites, basically anyone who isn't a racist piece of trash like he is), and you have a time bomb waiting to happen.

And even if you do knock out his current ride, he'll be back, and you never know who he'll be next time.

Note: If you have your own Superman analogue already, especially one with Longevity or Immortality, Soulrider will prefer him to Starrior, especially if he's more powerful. For example, Soulrider would love to get his hands on someone like Always or Legend.

Appearance: An etherial, 19th century Cavalry General with a handlebar mustache and long blonde hair, or whoever his target is.

All this stuff is really cool (and totally intimidating for a newbie like me)!

One quick question: The Bison has a "Charge" maneuver listed (+0 -2 12d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove) - I can't find the rules for this in 5ER. Have I just missed them (entirely likely), or are the rules listed elsewhere? I was thinking the other day that the lack of a Charge was a pretty obvious omission, so it would be good to discover that this kind of headlong rush attack has in fact been catered for somewhere in the rules!

Thanks,

(_|(0)

Guest Skaramine

Ah... the Charge maneuver is available in the Ultimate Martial Artist book. Well worth the price of admission because it gives how to make individual martial arts maneuvers truly awesome - ie: Area of Effect Martial Throw (tossing everyone in a radius around you) or Armor Piercing or Double Knockback on a Martial Strike. The weapons section is extensive, and it has dozens of real world martial arts - complete with histories and "magic power" suggestions -, a dozen Ninja martial arts styles, and a dozen fantasy martial arts, including Brick Tricks, Speedster Tricks, Demon Wrestling and Zen Riflery (yes... yes... Chow Yun Fat gunslinging!)

It's available on this site, and if you don't have the funds for full price, they have books with damaged covers the last I looked.

Very cool write-ups. I can't remember where I've seen a bodyjacking power' date=' but I know I've seen it somewhere...do you perchance have a reference?[/quote']

USPD has a bodyjacking power, though not the same as this one.

My own favorite write-up for such (though I like Skaramine's approach as well):

Ghostly Mind Switch: Major Transform 14d6 (standard effect: 42 points)(Changes You into Me with my memories and mental powers added to your own), Affects Physical World (+2) (630 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Me Into You; -2), 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), All Or Nothing (-1/2), No Range (-1/2). Real Cost: 79 points.

Guest Skaramine

Very cool write-ups. I can't remember where I've seen a bodyjacking power' date=' but I know I've seen it somewhere...do you perchance have a reference?[/quote']

It's in the Until Super Powers Database - one of the mental powers (though I made Desolid a seperate part of that compound power), and as Freakboy said, it's the power of one of Millenium City's PSI members.

Thanks Freakboy! :)

Guest Skaramine

USPD has a bodyjacking power, though not the same as this one.

My own favorite write-up for such (though I like Skaramine's approach as well):

Ghostly Mind Switch: Major Transform 14d6 (standard effect: 42 points)(Changes You into Me with my memories and mental powers added to your own), Affects Physical World (+2) (630 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Me Into You; -2), 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), All Or Nothing (-1/2), No Range (-1/2). Real Cost: 79 points.

Damned nice power. I just stripped Desolid out of the USPD online version (bought it as an update for my Hero Designer).

I like yours though too.

Guest Skaramine

Meet Peter Leskow - Captain Deadboy.

A half-zombie (or half-vampire) fighting for his own soul and to protect the world from creatures even worse than he is.

Captain Deadboy

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

20 CON 20 13-

12 BODY 4 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

15/40 PRE 5 12- / 17- PRE Attack: 3d6/8d6

12 COM 1 11-

12/20 PD 7 Total: 12/20 PD (0/8 rPD)

12/20 ED 8 Total: 12/20 ED (0/8 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

9 REC 0

40 END 0

35 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 107

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

10 Half Alive (Undead Powers): Elemental Control, 20-point powers

10 1) Fists Of Rage: HA +5d6 (10d6 w/STR) (25 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 2

12 2) Half Alive: Healing 1 BODY, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Side Effects "Blood Rage" (Side Effect always occurs whenever Cap Resurrects or needs to Heal 10+ Body ; Mind Control 12d6 "Consume Blood"; -3/4), Self Only (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

8 3) You Can't Hurt Me Anymore: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Fire Damage Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 2

4 4) You Want To Move Me?: Clinging (55 STR) (20 Active Points); Only To Resist Shoves And Knockback Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Must Be Aware Of Attack Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 2

16 Half Alive: LS (Extended Breathing; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)

12 Has Seen Hell: +25 PRE (25 Active Points); Defensive Presence Only Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)

5 Metallic Brown and Blue Eyes: Nightvision

7 One Stubborn Bastard: Mental Defense (10 points total)

44 Signature and Improvised Weaponry: Multipower, 55-point reserve, (55 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; ; -1/4)

1u 1) Bing Bing Bing Ricochet Shot: RKA 1d6+1, Indirect ( Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OIF Gun of Opportunity (-1/2), Damage Based On Firearm Used Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

1u 2) Newt Livesay Air Assault Combat Knife: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) 2

1u 3) Pistol Whip/Buttstroke/Improvised Weapons: HA +3d6 (13d6 w/STR and Fists of Rage) (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (Improvised Weapons or Signature Weapons; -1/2) 1

2u 4) SIG Sauer P226RDAK 9mm Auto: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) RKA 1d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 4 clips of 16 Charges (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OAF SIG Sauer P226RDAK (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +2 with Ranged Combat (10 Active Points); OAF SIG Sauer P226RDAK (-1) (Real Cost: 5)

2u 5) Sticks And Stones Will Break Your Bones: HKA 2d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR) (30 Active Points); OIF (Improvised Weapons of Opportunity; -1/2) 3

2u 6) Trick Shooting or Improvised Whips: Telekinesis (30 STR), Fine Manipulation (55 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Strength Based On DC's Of Weapon Used Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Only For Trips, Disarms, Pushing Buttons Or Levers, Knocking Things Over Or Causing Damage Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) 5

Perks

25 Super-Agent: Fringe Benefit: Captain, Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Federal/National Police Powers, License to Kill, Membership Section 1188 - Dead Man's Hand, Security Clearance - Top Secret Qualification

Skills

24 Skilled Warrior: +3 with All Combat

3 Combat Driving (Motorcycles) 13-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Fast Draw 13-

2 Navigation (Land) 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Comic Books (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: Espionage World (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Guns (3 Active Points) 12-

1 4) KS: Literature (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) KS: Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World (2 Active Points) 11-

1 6) KS: Music (2 Active Points) 11-

2 7) KS: Mythology, Legends and Lore (3 Active Points) 12-

1 8) KS: Science Fiction & Fantasy (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Scientist

1 1) SS: Cryptozoology 11- (2 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Medicine 12- (3 Active Points)

1 3) SS: Parapsychology 11- (2 Active Points)

1 4) SS: Physics 11- (2 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Zoology 12- (3 Active Points)

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12- (17-)

8 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain) 12-

3 Tracking 12-

3 Weaponsmith (Firearms, Improvised Weapons) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 243

200+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Unusual Eyes, Pallid and Cool To The Touch (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Enraged: Those Who Target The Weak (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-

15 Hunted: Soulrider 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: The Enemies of The Eternal Champion 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

25 Hunted: The Hatebound 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Psychological Limitation: Doubts His Humanity (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Moody, Emotional and Sentimental (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Selfless, Puts Safety of Innocents Before His Own (Common, Total)

15 Social Limitation: Covert Operative (Frequently, Major)

5 Susceptibility: Sight Group Flashes or Bright, Powerful Light Sources, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect Sight Group Flashes (Common)

Background/History: Peter Leskow grew up as best friends with Roland Walker, and always felt as if he'd known Rolls for even longer than they'd been alive. After high school, the two young men split apart, keeping in touch by mail, but Peter knew there were things that Rolls didn't tell him.

Then came Afghanistan. Peter was a Force Recon Marine, and Rolls was a Task Force 160 pilot assigned to dropping the Force Recon troops into an area where the Soviets once had their deadly Chemical and Biological Weapons factory. Force Recon was supposed to go in and prevent it being taken over by Afghan insurgents. That was the official story. But Roland Walker was supposed to intercept a team of mysterious raiders looking to unleash hell upon the world. In the process, Peter was bitten by a zombie-like victim of a released contagion. Battling through the mystery commandos and zombies, Rolls managed to find an antidote for Peter's infection, staving off his transformation into a cannibalistic superhuman. But in return, Peter was granted enormous strength, nightvision, and almost superhuman endurance and resistance to injury.

Walker, wracked with guilt, brought his friend into Section 1188 - the Dead Man's Hand. Now, Peter is involved with fighting the secret wars that happen beyond the scope of everyday man, battling the creatures that go bump in the night, all the while realizing that he is one of their kind. In recognition of his new condition, he's gone by an update of his childhood hero name (Captain Pollack) as his Dead Man's Hand codename - Captain Deadboy.

Personality/Motivation: Peter is a very emotional young man who grew up wanting to be a hero, just like the characters he saw on TV or read about in novels and comic books. It's part of what turned a shy young man into a Force Recon Marine, and later gave him the willpower to shrug off the effects of turning into a blood drinking ghoul. He is dedicated to his brother from another mother, Rolls. Though they are not related in any way, they have bonds of family that are impossible to break. Rolls thinks that Peter might be the reincarnation of Endiku, the man-bull who was Giglamesh's best friend (and an earlier incarna of the Eternal Champion). Peter just says it's because they were comic-book geeks when they were kids.

As a child, he was a huge fan of Captain America, and often engaged his friend Rolls in "who's better" conversations (Batman vs. Captain America). As such, he earned the nickname "Captain Pollack", and was one half of the team of Captain Pollack and Blackman. He strives to live up to the ideals of heroism and idealism as his childhood hero. He will not harm an innocent, ever, will not use tactics that could cause someone harm, and will destroy anyone who threatens bystanders. He particularly hates those who harm children.

Peter is terrified of giving in to his monsterous nature, and struggles to control his blood rages. He is horrified, even if he kills an enemy combatant under his blood rage.

Quote: "Put the tentacles up, Cthooby. You have the right to remain silent. Damn it, I said put the tentacles up. Ok... spawn of an elder God or not, I'm kicking your ass. You happy now, Cthooby? Suck-faced calamari jump-punk!"

Powers/Tactics: Peter is not quite alive, and yet, he is filled with an unnatural vitality. As such, he possesses remarkable physical attributes, including incredible strength, regeneration, a low level of invulnerability (few small arms can harm him), and a few other sundry abilities. He has excellent night vision, his fists can shatter brick walls, and he can lift nearly a full ton. Also, when he braces himself, few things on Earth have the strength to move him. He is also immune to extremes of heat and cold, can hold his breath for great lengths of time, and is immune to any and all diseases.

Peter is a resourceful combatant as well. In addition to his pet SIG Sauer and Newt Livesay Air Assault combat knife, he is skilled at turning ordinary objects into effective clubs or lethal weapons - his favorite improvisation is the Redneck Katana, a length of rebar used as a sword. As a marksman, he is simply amazing. He can ricochet shots off of surfaces to strike enemies from odd angles, and he can use shots to push buttons, knock things over, flip levers, or disarm enemies at a distance.

Peter's greatest abilities, however, are his willpower. He is almost impossible to frighten or intimidate, and his stubbornness not only protected him from the Resurrection Plague that transformed him, but also protects him from various forms of psychic assault. While not brilliant, he is smart and well versed in several subjects. He's a competent investigator as well.

Thanks to his Section 1188 clearance, he has several benefits available to him as well, including a license to kill.

Peter's only weaknesses are the blood rage that occurs when he has to heal large amounts of Body (such as during a resurrection) and his sensitive vision - he's vulnerable to sight flashes.

Campaign Use: Peter Leskow, Captain Deadboy is a monster hunting monsters. Not quite a vampire, not quite a zombie, he is as far from the cool, hip, sword-slinging Blade as he is from his childhood hero Captain America. He greatly fears his own true nature, which is that of being a revenant. His reluctance to feed keeps him from tapping the true depths of what real vampires are capable of, although he is certain of his own vampiric nature. Section 1188 is a powerful, covert organization charged with protecting the world against threats that are beyond the scope of normal espionage, military and law enforcement. As such, he is involved with cases ranging from supernatural creatures to alien invasions to dark and powerful cults. To up Peter's abilities, increase his armor, Regeneration, and boost his Multipower and add a Smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum and a FN FAL with a Scope (Telescopic Vision - OAF) as well as increase the damage on his Trick Shots and Richochet Shots to match these guns. Increasing his Offensive PRE also could help, to make him more fearsome and intimidating, as well as making his senses more accute. Peter is a Pocket Brick, capable of causing great damage and soaking it up. Also, remember, his Defensive PRE is 40. It would take a Cthulloid God to make him flinch in fear.

Plot Seed: The Hatebound (The anti-New Circle/JLA, gone mystical and evil) have captured the Eternal Champion (Roland Walker - Blackman) and are preparing a ceremony to slay him in such a way that he will not be able to reincarnate ever again. Peter, desparate, seeks the PCs' aid in battling these enemies and recovering his friend. But what happens if Rolls dies anyway? Will a despondant Leskow lash out in rage, and can the PC's control him?

Plot Seed: Peter, after a battle with a full vampire, received horrible wounds, and when the blood rage struck, the closest meal is the mortally wounded vampire. Drinking deeply, Peter's body undergoes a greater change. His strength increases, he's almost completely immune to harm, he can grow claws and fangs, and he's gained the preternatural Vampiric speed (Teleport and Flight). He's also struggling against his increased appetite and blood rage. Now, the urge to feed is even stronger. Can the PC's find a way to cure him before he gives in to his darkness? Don't forget, with his strength increased, it also increases his improvised weapons attacks, and he still has the Fists of Rage.

Plot Seed: One of the PC's is a vampire or other creature of the night, and Peter investigates him. He's a relentless hunter, and he has official sanction to track down this monster. Can the PCs convince Peter that their ally is a noble hero and defender of the innocent?

Appearance: Peter has a boyishly young, unlined face, although his skin is pale and sallow and his brown hair is streaked with gray. The most unusual things about him are his eyes - brown with streaks of metallic blue that almost seem to glow in the dark when light reflects off them. Peter dresses in casual clothes, although his combat uniform is a dark jacket with tan-colored pants and sand-colored boots. He wears a gunbelt for his SIG and his knife and carries spare magazines with it. When not prepped for combat, he wears his pistol and knife under a loose, open, untucked shirt worn over a t-shirt or a sweatshirt. On his right wrist (he's left handed) he often wears a studded leather bracelet, and he wears red "Chuck Taylor All Stars."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Skaramine

Here's the first of the Wilderines - Manzilla. A personal fave I started dreaming up while drawing Reptyle for Corven Ren.

Manzilla

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

45 STR 35 18- Lift 12.8tons; 9d6 [4]

30 CON 40 15-

13 BODY 6 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 15-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

8 COM -1 11-

15/30 PD 6 Total: 15/30 PD (0/15 rPD)

12/25 ED 6 Total: 12/25 ED (0/13 rED)

5 SPD 22 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

15 REC 0

60 END 0

51 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 171

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 20"/40"

Swimming: 10"/40"

Cost Powers END

6 Tail: Extra Limb (1), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)

11 Tail Bash: HA +3d6, Indirect ( Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Only With Extra Limb Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) 2

42 Tough, Scaly Hide: Armor (15 PD/13 ED)

12 Massive: Knockback Resistance -6"

6 Crocodilian Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups

5 Crocodilian Eyes: Nightvision

7 Amphibious: LS (Extended Breathing; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum)

10 Tail: Multipower, 15-point reserve, (15 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2)

1u 1) Long, Powerful Tail: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Limited Body Parts (Tail Only; -1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

1u 2) Tail Catapult: Leaping +11" (20" forward, 10" upward) (11 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) 1

1u 3) Powerful Tail: Swimming +8" (10" total) (x4 Noncombat) (13 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) 1

Brick Tricks

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Gator Hug +0 +0 13d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

3 Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 55 STR for holding on

4 Punch/Tail Wallop +0 +2 11d6 Strike/14d6 w/Tail

3 Legsweep/Tailsweep +2 -1 10d6 (13d6 w/tail), Target Falls

4 Slam -1 -1 11d6 Strike, Grab Two Limbs, Target Falls

Perks

4 Reputation: Heroic, Reptilian Superhero (A large group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Talents

3 Environmental Movement (no penalties in water)

Skills

2 Animal Handler (Reptiles & Amphibians) 14-

2 AK: Chicago 11-

2 PS: Alligator Wrestler 11-

3 PS: Sideshow Freak 14-

3 Stealth 13-

6 SS: Herpetology (Reptilians) 16-

4 SS: Ecology 14-

2 SS: Zoology 11-

10 +2 with HTH Combat

3 Persuasion 14-

3 Interrogation 14-

3 Teamwork 13-

3 KS: Religions of the World 13-

6 +3 with Tail Bash

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 179

200+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features: Tail and Reptillian Hide (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Enraged: When Friends Or Bystanders Are Harmed (Common), go 11-, recover 14-

15 Hunted: Howler 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Ankylosaurus 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

25 Hunted: Genocide 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

5 Physical Limitation: Massive Weight (450 pounds) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Stubborn And Argumentative (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Douglas Kaje) (Frequently, Major)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Cold Attacks (Uncommon)

Background/History: "Oh no... he's a freak. A monster!"

"No... he's an adorable little angel. God gave him to me, because He knew I was strong enough to care for him."

"Please... kill it. It's a devilish..."

"No. Leave him alone!"

He looked at her in horror, slowly stepping away from her. "You're going to regret this, someday, witch."

"No. I won't."

Jo-ann Kaje worked hard to raise her son right. It was hard when her fundamentalist husband left her, but she persevered. Doug didn't mind. He enjoyed living with the carnival, and when they retired to Florida for the winter, he seemed a natural on the aligator farms. He went by the name of Doug Cage - the Human Aligator when he hit age 14 and was six feet of scale-armored muscle. He wrestled aligators once a day for three months out of the year, and worked as a freakish strongman the rest of the year. He earned enough money to attend college, and graduated at age 20 with doctorates in Herpetology and Zoology.

Professor Douglas Kaje did his mother proud. She was able to watch him graduate, but she died a few months later of lung cancer from too many cigarettes. For a long time, he tried to stay out of the limelight as a superhuman, downplaying his remarkable abilities, before running afoul Ankylosaurus and Howler at an archeological site. Ankylosaurus had been hired to steal some Hzeel artifacts that Howler wanted. Doug interposed himself between some fellow students and one of Ankylosaurus' tail grenades, then realized that he had to take action before anyone else could get hurt. His aligator-wrestling skills, combined with his prodigious strength and powerful tail helped him carry the day against the two villains who had softened each other up enough to leave him a match for them.

The Champions arrived just in time to drive the pair of villains off, and a travelling news crew showed up instants later. The following is a transcript from the fateful meeting.

Defender: Thanks for your assistance, Professor.

Prof. Kaje: (rubbing one ear) You're going to have to speak up. My ears are ringing.

Nighthawk: Yeah, whatever. You're just a lucky amateur. Next time, leave it to the professionals.

Kaje: I did what I had to do.

Nighthawk: Really? Who do you think you are? Godzilla?

Kaje: Not God. Just a man doing his duty.

The press instantly dubbed the reptilian superhero "Manzilla," thanks to Nighthawk's offhand comment and Kaje's ringing ears. Realizing that he could use his powers for good, he took up the mantle. Though publically, he expresses discomfort with the identity, he is a Kaiju Eiga (Godzilla-style movies), and he loves the name.

After a while, he came across the Lynx and Capricorn Bill. Together, the three heroes decided that they could form an effective team in Chicago, where Kaje, Lynx and Capricorn Bill were all headquartered. They found more animal-themed heroes, and came up with the name Wilderines, a combination of wilderness and Marines, and have been that city's protectors ever since.

Personality/Motivation: Doug is a good hearted, if obstinate and argumentative young man. He's been influenced by his religious faith to be a selfless hero and nonjudgemental of others. However, his opinions are strong, and when he encounters what he considers "ignorance," he starts a debate at the drop of a hat. Fortunately, he can bring himself under control before too much and does not get physically violent, though he can be hurtful and spiteful in the interim.

However, in the aftermath of a super-rescue or super-battle, Doug is uncomfortable with praise and gratitude, downplaying his part.

Doug is attracted to his team-mate, the dinosaurian heroine Ptera, although he takes it slow with her.

Quote: "No. Not your saviour. Just someone doing his part to help out."

Powers/Tactics: Manzilla is superhumanly strong, with a truly powerful tail that he can use as a weapon, or to propel him through the water at high speeds or launch him as if on a gigantic spring. This, coupled with his wrestling skills has made him far more effective than his relatively low superhuman strength would suggest. His tail is long, but it can snap out to twice its length effortlessly.

Manzilla is his team's frontline combatant, bounding into action and drawing fire to allow his teammates time to get into position. While he takes a bruising, he bounces back from injury quickly . He generally places his HTH levels into DCV to keep the enemy busy. When the others are ready, he switches to taking on enemy bricks or using his tail for sweeps against slower opponents/agents.

Manzilla, while not as vulnerable to cold-weather like true reptiles (he posesses hair and mammalian attributes), still is more susceptible to shock from Cold and Ice based attacks.

Appearance: Manzilla/Professor Kaje is 6'8" tall and 450 pounds of muscle, with a long, aligator-style tail, and tough green hide. He has a mohawk-like tuft of hair between two ridges atop his head, and his eyes are golden in color. He generally wears tank tops, skintight pants and heavy boots, the pants modified to accomodate his tail. In colder weather, he dresses appropriately in customized jackets and warmer pants. His tail and large size make it impossible for him to even attempt to disguise himself.

Doug, if you ever end up in this neck of the woods.... :)

I guess I'll have to actually break down and start writing some characters up.

I am so bad at power structures and such, that my friends used to say my characters needed an extra 25 point disadvantage "Greg's Character" :( I'm not really good at FOCUSSING a character.