New and trying to find out this question

Guest kojiro

Read through the book I understand most things but I see where you roll 3d6

on most roll to see if you exceed. My question is if your roll is 20- do you add more dices to your roll or is it always 3d6? I understand this is a noob question but just got my first book yesterday. Please help me!!!

Re: New and trying to find out this question

You still roll only 3d6. I'm not sure if it's official or not, but in our games at least rolling an 18 is an auto-failure. With a 20- roll, you'll almost never fail, and you've also got a buffer against penalties (you can take a -3 for whatever reason, and still have a net 17- on the 3d6 roll).

Kelcyron

It's still 3d6, keeping in mind that a roll of 18 always fails. So, if Sherlock Holmes has a Deduction skill of 20-, he will succeed almost all the time if there are no modifiers on his Deduction skill roll. If Dr. Holmes is trying to make a real leap of logic without many facts, the GM may wish to impose a severe penalty (-5 for example, so the player must roll 15-) to the roll. In that specific, a sneaky GM may not even want to tell the player what penalty he has imposed, so the player may not be certain as to whether he has succeeded. I know most Hero GMs certainly do that with perception rolls, disarm trap rolls (Security Systems skill), and others to keep the players honest.

"Oh yeah guys, I was sure that trap was disarmed; I rolled a 16 and beat my 20- Security Systems roll. I don't know why Zathrus got shot in the head."

Always roll 3d6 for success rolls. Bear in mind that with a roll of 20-, you can still fail if the GM has assigned negative modifiers to the roll (perhaps due to a difficult situation or task) or if you roll a natural 18, which is always a failure.

Edit: Beat me to it, Rigel. ;)

Don't forget that if you have a roll of 20 or over you can attempt the 'impossible' with a roll of half or less.

eg. Jimmy the Jumper has breakfall on 22 or less and is thrown out of an aeroplane at 30,000 feet...on 11 or less he might just make it.

Also don't forget that just as a natural roll of 18 always misses, a natural roll of three always succeeds. For example if I only have a familiarity in electronics (for a base roll of 8 or less) and due to lack of equipment or difficulty the GM assigns me a -6 situation mod, I'd need to roll a 2 on 3d6 which is impossible...but if I roll a natural 3 I would still succeed.

ok I got this part, but what is the highest limit on a value. I am reading in my book and one of the chars in there has a str of 50 which gives him a 19-. Where should the line be drawn on Values?

ok I got this part' date=' but what is the highest limit on a value. I am reading in my book and one of the chars in there has a str of 50 which gives him a 19-. Where should the line be drawn on Values?[/quote']Generally, there isn't one. That's why you have to pay points for everything. However, depending on the specific genre and campaign, the GM is well within his (or her) rights to establish an upper limit.While having ridiculous rolls like 25- might seem silly, keep in mind that there are often negative modifiers to a roll. Not to mention the natural 18 - which is an automatic failure.