House Rules

Mightybec

Re: House Rules

A combat roll of "3" and your attack does maximum damage. An 18 is a disaster, potentially (generally) hitting allies.

FLASH: I never did like the official rules, so what we've done is that whatever flash is done (say 4 pts) is what minus you are at to all your rolls (skills, perception, OCV). Every time your phase comes around, the minus is lessened by 1, so that on your next phase, you are at -3, your next phase after that -2 and so on, until you have your normal senses back. It never seemed to make sense that you'd be completely out of your sense usage and then suddenly everything is just fine.

I like that. :thumbup:

FLASH: I never did like the official rules, so what we've done is that whatever flash is done (say 4 pts) is what minus you are at to all your rolls (skills, perception, OCV). Every time your phase comes around, the minus is lessened by 1, so that on your next phase, you are at -3, your next phase after that -2 and so on, until you have your normal senses back. It never seemed to make sense that you'd be completely out of your sense usage and then suddenly everything is just fine.

I had overlooked this until Treb pointed it out. Seconding the fact that I really like this. Dunno how it will work out in a game, but I'm going to try it.

How do you differentiate between a targeting sense and non-targetting? If you are "flashed" with a sonic stun, but can still see, are there any modifiers to attacking?

I kind of like the fact that there WOULD be... as your head is ringing... but not as much as if you were partially blinded. Say, against non-targeting senses, you have a -1 for every 2 pts. done, rounding in the target's favor.

Hmmmm... I think this is really neat. Gonna play with this next week.

How do you differentiate between a targeting sense and non-targetting? If you are "flashed" with a sonic stun' date=' but can still see, are there any modifiers to attacking?[/quote']

Um, we never had anyone advanced enough to have special sense. :o

Our FLASHes were either sight or sound, so we could justify it that way. In the games we ran, no one really cared for the other special senses. Not saying it isn't good, but one ever created a character that way in our games.

This one kinda hurts battle timing but it's something we've always done: If you have sloppy dice (a die is cocked or falls off of the table) you roll them ALL again. When you're blasting away with 15d6 it can be a pain to re-roll. I have no idea why I cant bring myself to allow just 1 die to be re-rolled! :stupid:

Oh, we used to give out extra experience as EM points (Errol Flynn). They were gained whenever a character did something incredibly flamboyant or brave. Unfortunately, acquiring the points (and their use once earned) had an effect on game play. It was fun but more of a distraction than anything else.

I'm debating using the rule that 1 experience point = +1 on any roll.

Is that too little? Should an Experience point be worth more? I generally give out an average of 2 per gaming session. We meet twice a month. :help:

[quote=GoldenAgeI'm debating using the rule that 1 experience point = +1 on any roll.

Is that too little? Should an Experience point be worth more? I generally give out an average of 2 per gaming session. We meet twice a month. :help:

1 XP for +1 to one roll? That seems ridiculously low. 2 XP can add a new 11 or less background skill forever, 3 points a skill at 9+CHAR/5 or +1 to three skills or combat maneuvers forever...

Your group your rules, but as a player I'd never consider blowing an XP for such a trivial 1 time bonus.

How do you differentiate between a targeting sense and non-targetting? If you are "flashed" with a sonic stun' date=' but can still see, are there any modifiers to attacking?[/quote']

Thinking back on this, for something like a sonic stun (say, to hearing) the sfx was that it messed with your equalibrium so that while you not only couldn't hear as well, you'd be less balanced (and perhaps a bit dizzy) and that's why it could mess with your other senses.

If you had electronic gear, and someone did some radio xmit/rec'v flash, then perhaps the effect was that the flash was by feedback as opposed to supress and so you heard a loud screeching noice (messing with sound) that caused you to wince (messing with sight) and that made it more difficult to concentrate (messing with skills and combat).

I would suppose spacial awareness could be the same. For the super, that would just seem 'natural' to have it, and when the spacial awareness was affected, the effect would be that the target would be so unaccustomed to the situation that they wouldn't be a full game.

1 XP for +1 to one roll? That seems ridiculously low. 2 XP can add a new 11 or less background skill forever, 3 points a skill at 9+CHAR/5 or +1 to three skills or combat maneuvers forever...

Your group your rules, but as a player I'd never consider blowing an XP for such a trivial 1 time bonus.

Even if your character were dieing and an Aid roll of 7 would save his life???

Yah, I know, it's tough... But years ago when I allowed more for each XP the game got out of hand. The outcome of many climactic moments was dictated by players with points to spend in order to buck reality instead of heroic deeds and strategy. This way I hope that each player will keep 3 or so in a pool. When the chips are down and all hope is lost they could drop in 3 for +3 to that crucial hit or +3 to a damage roll that con stuns a villain just in time.

I believe I'm willing to let these points be shared by the players. Assuming that every player at my table had a pool of 3 XP and was willing to use them for the greater good then they could come together and add 24 points of damage to one attack. Of course these points would not be affected by defenses.

I think it could help group dynamics and maybe teach the need for heroic sacrifice.

Thoughts?

Even if your character were dieing and an Aid roll of 7 would save his life????

I can't recall a case where a 1 point change in one of my own rolls would have made the difference between life and death for one of my characters in a Supers game in over 20 years of gaming in the genre, so, no, probably not even then. Still, you change the rules below, allowing up to 3 points and the pooling of points, so my comments will follow.

Yah, I know, it's tough... But years ago when I allowed more for each XP the game got out of hand. The outcome of many climactic moments was dictated by players with points to spend in order to buck reality instead of heroic deeds and strategy. This way I hope that each player will keep 3 or so in a pool. When the chips are down and all hope is lost they could drop in 3 for +3 to that crucial hit or +3 to a damage roll that con stuns a villain just in time.

I believe I'm willing to let these points be shared by the players. Assuming that every player at my table had a pool of 3 XP and was willing to use them for the greater good then they could come together and add 24 points of damage to one attack. Of course these points would not be affected by defenses.

I think it could help group dynamics and maybe teach the need for heroic sacrifice.

Thoughts?

Considering that the players are trading away something that could make a permenant difference in their characters for a 1 time benefit I'd want to see that one time benefit be of real dramatic value. If the players are "abusing" it, don't allow it.

As to the pooling of points and letting the group decide where to spend them, it's not a bad idea. I can see problems coming up with prima-donna players demanding use of the pool too often and such, but any system has problems. Still strikes me as wasteful, but the amount of XP given out will influence that as well.

Thinking back on this' date=' for something like a sonic stun (say, to hearing) the sfx was that it messed with your equalibrium so that while you not only couldn't hear as well, you'd be less balanced (and perhaps a bit dizzy) and that's why it could mess with your other senses.[/quote']

For clarity, do you apply the same -1 per 1 flash BOD for a hearing flash, or do you reduce the modifier since this only costs 3/die (or just make all flashes cost 5/die and have -1 per BOD)?

1xp for +1 to roll: I've seen 1 xp for converting a failed roll to "just barely successful". I agree a +1 bonus is pretty trivial for 1 xp. The other question is whether you allow the xp to be spent after the success of the die roll is known. Maybe you could allow spending 1xp sight unseen to guarantee a successful roll, but once you make the roll,m you're stuck with the result.

Maybe you could allow spending 1xp sight unseen to guarantee a successful roll' date=' but once you make the roll,m you're stuck with the result.[/quote']

That's a good solution if the 1 XP for a roll trick is getting abused.

Note that one of the GM's permission types of Luck allows 10 points worth of Luck to be worth an average of +7 to any roll per game session, broken up and spent as the player sees fit. Having seen this in action, it's remarkably effective. Changing the rule so that the luck must be spent before the roll might be a good balancer.

For clarity' date=' do you apply the same -1 per 1 flash BOD for a hearing flash, or do you reduce the modifier since this only costs 3/die (or just make all flashes cost 5/die and have -1 per BOD)?[/quote']

Yes, -1 per 1 point FLASH on BODY. So, if John Doe does a 4d6 FLASH attack against Jane and succeeds, rolling a 2, 3, 5, 6, then that would be 4 BOD, which means Jane is at -4 on her actions next phase. Her phase after that, she would be at -3 and this would be reduced until the negative modifiers went away.

EDIT: This would have been 5 BODY for a -5, then -4, etc. :nonp:

Yes' date=' -1 per 1 point FLASH on BODY. So, if John Doe does a 4d6 FLASH attack against Jane and succeeds, rolling a 2, 3, 5, 6, then that would be 4 BOD, which means Jane is at -4 on her actions next phase. Her phase after that, she would be at -3 and this would be reduced until the negative modifiers went away.[/quote']

So, in your games, a Hearing flash would have the same basic effects as a Sight flash, and consequently still cost 5 points per die? Fair enough.

I'd like to see this included as a "disorient" power, rather than replace Flash entirely, but it seems a reasonable trade-off. He's not completely unable to use the Sense, but the penalty fades slower (per phase rather than per segment) so it evens out a bit.

Is the power cumulative (can I hit the guy again next phase and add another -4 penalty, until eventually he's making all his rolls at -20?) COROLLARY: Do people generally allow regular Flash to stack? Once he's blind, can you Flash him again to add more segments, or does his blindness effectively protect him from further Flash damage?

Actually, I think I might modify it a bit to read:

1. 1 XP for every 12 Damage Classes of an attack may be spent to assure success. All results are final.

2. Add 1 XP per step on the range chart

3. Add 1 XP for every -2 on the Hit Location chart for called shots.

That way it's not possible for 1 XP to equal a called shot head by an assassin with an RKA. 1 XP isn't worth an entire character.

Would it be better to make this 1 XP/Active Points rather than Damage Classes?

Thoughts?

So, in your games, a Hearing flash would have the same basic effects as a Sight flash, and consequently still cost 5 points per die? Fair enough.

I'd like to see this included as a "disorient" power, rather than replace Flash entirely, but it seems a reasonable trade-off. He's not completely unable to use the Sense, but the penalty fades slower (per phase rather than per segment) so it evens out a bit.

Is the power cumulative (can I hit the guy again next phase and add another -4 penalty, until eventually he's making all his rolls at -20?) COROLLARY: Do people generally allow regular Flash to stack? Once he's blind, can you Flash him again to add more segments, or does his blindness effectively protect him from further Flash damage?

I don't allow stacking a normal Flash attack... since the example would be "he's already blinded, more bright lights aren't going to affect him."

With Kirby's rule (which I really like) I'd probably rule... further attacks on a target would add ONLY if they do more "body" than already affecting the target.

Example: Sonic Flash, rolls 2, 3, 5, 6 (which would be five Body, not four) so -5 to all rolls. Try again next round, they have recovered, so are at -4... roll a 3, 3, 4, 5... four body is NOT greater than... so no further effect.

That's just me, off the top of my head.

I'd also have Flash attacks that are not vs. targetting sense be -1 for every 2 Body rolled, rounding in target's favor. I stated that above, and would try to play that out to see if it worked.

I like this rule because it makes Flash attacks much more tactically interesting and effective, without either totally hosing the target, or being arbitrary in effect (what exactly does "flashed" cause in game terms?"), etc.

Good stuff... thanks again, Kirby.

Actually, I think I might modify it a bit to read:

1. 1 XP for every 12 Damage Classes of an attack may be spent to assure success. All results are final.

2. Add 1 XP per step on the range chart

3. Add 1 XP for every -2 on the Hit Location chart for called shots.

I'd envision this being used for way more than hitting, and wouldn't get this complex - 1 xp per guaranteed roll would be fine. If a Heroic character (I don't use hit locations in Supers games) wants to use it for a head shot, well and good. He won't be able to do this very often, since xp is a scarce commodity.

This does beg the question of how many "unspent xp" one gives to the opposition, though. This shouldn't be restricted to PC's. If it is, I suppose the tradeoff could be "not effective in enhancing damage from a called shot".

I'd envision this being used for way more than hitting, and wouldn't get this complex - 1 xp per guaranteed roll would be fine. If a Heroic character (I don't use hit locations in Supers games) wants to use it for a head shot, well and good. He won't be able to do this very often, since xp is a scarce commodity.

This does beg the question of how many "unspent xp" one gives to the opposition, though. This shouldn't be restricted to PC's. If it is, I suppose the tradeoff could be "not effective in enhancing damage from a called shot".

Well, if a player were satisfied with his character upon creation he'd be able to automatically hit/succeed a skill roll an average of 2 times a gaming session (based on my average experience distribution/game).

With 8 players that's 16 automatic hits a game (if they really dipped into the cheese bin). Of course, I'd suspend the rule if that ever happened, but I’d like to make it something that would never encourage such a situation.

Okay, I realize that the above argument is similar to the "what if a meteor hits" argument... But what if I'm running a long-term, serial scenario that has insidiously snaked in and out of many episodic game sessions. Finally, the team meets the BIG BAD-GUY! "There's gonna be a reckoning tonight", I think as I stare down at my 1500 point villain. Then, out of nowhere, one, two or even three of my players choose to use 1 XP each to automatically succeed in coordinated called shots to UBER VILLAIN'S head!!! What now??? All 3 have 15d6 attacks - that's an average of 195 points of stun to UBER VILLAIN after reducing the damage done (by each hero) by UBER VILLAIN'S 40/40 defenses - He's out!!! Months of planning and manipulation down the drain. I wouldn't mind if my villain was beaten with sound tactics, but c'mon! OUCH!!! :stupid:

As for "not effective in enhancing damage from a called shot"... that same attack would yield an average of 38 stun to UBER BAD-GUY - not too bad. I like this much better. :)

What if a character wants to Rapid Fire? Do I let him hit with all of his attacks? What about a 32 shot Autofire? Normally the OCV penalties would balance these attacks out... but not if the player expends only 1 XP.

We play a fairly sophisticated table. Hit Locations are often utilized - as called shots only. We also use Impairing, Disabling and Bleeding. The entire group thinks the optional rules add drama and realism to the game. Heck, what good is a Dark Knight character if he can't break a few arms? :rolleyes:

Believe it or not... To us, the color of the game is much more important than the rules. But I think the rules rarely get in the way because their VERY good and we've come to know them over years of play. I'd just like any new rule I add to have the same appeal and game ballance.

Thanks for everyone's help... Obviously, I need help!!! :drink:

Golden Age... since it seems to me you are looking for a way to have a Fate system... Hero Points... whatever...

Have you thought about my Luck Chits system? TheQuestionMan posted a link back at the beginning of the thread.

Here...

http://herogames.com/forums/showthr...9381#post299381

Seems to me that what you want can come this way... and the way you avoid the players using it to hose the bigbad in non-dramatic ways... well, Villains have luck, too. They spend chits to roll a "3" or do a super tactic... you can always throw a chit for the villain to counter that. My players almost never use chits this way... because they've learned that their role playing and in-game tactics are appropriate... and chits are there to keep the random "18" from screwing them... or to give them just enough of an edge to squeak by and defeat the villain.

Just an idea... and it avoids the whole "tying experience to fate" problem... and IMO, experience should not be used the way you describe. EXP should be just that... EXP. A fate/luck/hero points system should be something separate.

YMMV, as always.

Okay' date=' I realize that the above argument is similar to the "what if a meteor hits" argument... But what if I'm running a long-term, serial scenario that has insidiously snaked in and out of many episodic game sessions. Finally, the team meets the BIG BAD-GUY! "There's gonna be a reckoning tonight", I think as I stare down at my 1500 point villain. Then, out of nowhere, one, two or even three of my players choose to use 1 XP each to automatically succeed in coordinated called shots to UBER VILLAIN'S head!!! What now??? All 3 have 15d6 attacks - that's an average of 195 points of stun to UBER VILLAIN [b']after[/b] reducing the damage done (by each hero) by UBER VILLAIN'S 40/40 defenses - He's out!!! Months of planning and manipulation down the drain. I wouldn't mind if my villain was beaten with sound tactics, but c'mon! OUCH!!!

For what it's worth, I've had no problems with a Dramatically Appropriate rule on my own version of spending XP for amazing in-game effects, and the players have never complained about it. The short version of the rule is that you can only blow that xP for a miracle at most once per game session, and only in a dramatic, life or death situation. You can spend an XP for a guaranteed critical hit agianst the villain when all the other players are down and it's time to save the world; you can pend an XP to manifest a funky, never before seen power within your SFX if it's the only way to do what needs to be done; you can't do it for a cheap win. It requires a level of trust between you and your players, but good players will go along with it.

Is the power cumulative (can I hit the guy again next phase and add another -4 penalty' date=' until eventually he's making all his rolls at -20?)[/quote']

No. What we did allow was that you could add another -1 penalty, to simulate a pseudo long-term affect to the FLASH (such as lots of BOOM!s) if the person wasn't then protected. For example, if someone was was hit for the above 4d6 Flash, for 2, 3, 5, 6 for a total of 5 BOD and was then at a -5 penalty, if he was hit again in the same phase for 4 BOD, then nothing would happen. Now, say two of the target's phases have gone by and he is now at -3, then he is hit with a 7 BOD Flash, it would only accumulate a -1 penalty, to bring the target to -4. This way, there would be *some* affect, but you couldn't munchkin it. This assumes that the target in question hasn't taken measures to counter the Flash (such as shielding or closing his eyes if it was a sight flash).

I hope this helps.

With Kirby's rule (which I really like) I'd probably rule...

Hey, thanks!

Example: Sonic Flash' date=' rolls 2, 3, 5, 6 (which would be five Body, not four) so -5 to all rolls.[/quote']

Er, yeah, what he said. (FYI all, I did correct it on the original post.)

Good stuff... thanks again' date=' Kirby.[/quote']

:thumbup:

Full house rules at http://www.realschluss.org/x-champions/house_rules/

The major "spice" is Supernaturally-Based Attacks, Supernatural Attack, and Supernatural Defense (SD, INT/5). That and Martial Arts are a derivative of the original xSTR ideas, but a bit more complex, in that the Manuevers when taken together form an Advantage to STR. And actions are simultaneous.

Oh, and the other big and major spice - BOD damage detracts FIRST from applicable defenses and the REMAINDER of defenses count against STUN damage. For example, an attack of 10 BOD and 35 STUN against 25 ED will first knock the 25 ED down to 15 ED based on 10 BOD damage, then the 35 STUN is applied against that 15, so the target takes 20 STUN. In standard HERO they would only take 10.

Otherwise it's more mechanics/desired changes stuff.