Funny Sided Dice

Hugh Neilson

OK, on another thread we got to talking about those "other" dice that those "other" games use. I remembered way back (WAAAAAY back) subscribing to Adventurers' Club and receiving with it the occasional Hero Games' Newsletter, one of which set out proposed pricing for attacks using those "funny-sided" dice.

To set the timeframe, the newsletter this is extracted from indicaqtes we should watch for details on something in Adventurers' Club #4. An article on "In the Wings" asked us to hold off ordering Champions III a bit longer since it wasn't done yet, and Super Agents was in pre-production. Chaosium was writing up a Superworld adventure which would have Champions stats in it (at that time the working title was Return of the Elocians).

And the suggested pricing for funny sided dice was as follows (the %'s of cost per 1d6 are mine):

Die 1d6 Normal 1d6 Killing % of Normal

1d4 3.75 points 10.25 points 75%

1d6 5 points 15 points 100%

1d8 6.5 points 19.5 points 130%

1d10 8 points 24 points 160%

1d12 9.5 points 28.5 points 190%

1d20 15 points 45 points 300%

1d30 22 points 66 points 440%

1d100 72 points 216 points 1,440%

Rolling them? No sweat. KA's as normal (BOD is on the dice; STUN is x the stun multiple). Normal attacks? 1 is 0, top possible roll is 2 and everything in between is 1. That 1d100 EB may as well just be no BOD.

The article indicates you multiply out all the points, then round 1/4 and 1/2 down, or 3/4 up. And attacks still cost END based on their active points (it was 1 END per 5 AP at that time, though).

So, for those d20 die hards who can't bear to roll just square dice, here's an option. [bTW, d20's make great height markers and a d12 is an easy way to track what segment it is.]

Re: Funny Sided Dice

Heh. Looks like the costs are based on the average rolls when compared to d6 rolls. Not bad actually, though if I could I'd roll those d4s more often than d8s or higher. Smaller die the tighter the average rolls are, and the less chance of a really crappy roll. You'd also do better BODY damage on average.

Heh. Looks like the costs are based on the average rolls when compared to d6 rolls. Not bad actually' date=' though if I could I'd roll those d4s more often than d8s or higher. Smaller die the tighter the average rolls are, and the less chance of a [i']really[/i] crappy roll.

Less chance of a really good roll, too.

You'd also do better BODY damage on average.

The BOD bugs me. If I were to implement something like this, I'd be inclined to create a chart for each die type to keep average BOD a bit closer to the d6 average. Maybe d4's get 0,1,1,1 (4d4 costs the same as 3d6 so should average the same BOD) and d20 (also = 3d6) gets 1 = 0; 2 = 1, 3 = 2, 4-17 = 3, 18 = 4, 19 = 5, 20 = 6, again to average the same and in this case have the same minimum and maximum.

In fairness, it was set out as "A [project under development stoilen from George MacDonald's briefcase".

hmmm...1d100 (+4) AVLD (+1.5) autofire (5 shots; +1), AE 1 hex accurate (+1/2) 0 END (+1.0) for 45 points. Gotta like that!

IOW, good call B'nakagawa

And that's why d10s should only be used as tops. :D

OFF TOPIC QUESTION:

We've all tried spinning our dice of various shapes like tops. Who's been able to spin the d4? It's hard, but they look the funkiest when you manage to do it!

And that's why d10s should only be used as tops. :D

OFF TOPIC QUESTION:

We've all tried spinning our dice of various shapes like tops. Who's been able to spin the d4? It's hard, but they look the funkiest when you manage to do it!

Can't say I've seen that, but I did see someone roll a d4 and have it land (and stay) upside-down on a tabletop.