It's not a Robot... It's a Golem... Honest.

Jkeown

Another nightmare from the distant days of the Occupation, the Durlozi lurks in caves and ruins, waiting for the "Target." During the wars between the Dharzooni Masters just before the Fall, hundreds of Durlozi were deployed in what we now call Kythros and Threekings. With the coming of the Scattering, they've spread to a much greater area, awaking to kill and destroy, each one convinced the war is still ongoing.

It may be possible to bargain with one, if they could be awakened without setting off their berserk. If turned to the side of the Empire, they could be released in the Warlands and pacify the rebelion of Wardog and his Chaos Cult, but if some evil, cackling necromancer managed to make a deal...

Durlozi

Val   Char    Cost
40   STR 30
15   DEX 15
15   CON 10
16   BODY 12
10   INT 0
13   EGO 6
20   PRE 10
10   COM 0

8/21   PD 0
7/20   ED 4
4   SPD 15
11   REC 0
30   END 0
44   STUN 0
 18"  RUN02"  SWIM08"  LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 102

Cost   Power END
90   Essence Beam: Multipower, 90-point reserve 
7u   1) Standard Beam: EB 18d6 (90 Active Points); Beam (-1/4)  9
7u   2) Wide Beam: EB 12d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Beam (-1/4)  9
8u   3) Lethal Beam: RKA 3 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (82 Active Points)  8
7u   4) Essence Bomb: EB 12d6, Explosion (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Beam (-1/4)  9
6u   5) Accurate Beam: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 63 Real Cost) EB 12d6 (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 48) plus +3 with Ranged Combat (Real Cost: 15)  6
7u   6) Autofire Beam: EB 12d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Beam (-1/4)  9
24   Enhanced Glass Armor: Armor (8 PD/8 ED)  0
10   Essence Ward: FF (5 PD/5 ED)  1
14   Self-repairing Enchantment: Healing 3 BODY, Can Heal Limbs (35 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2)  3
35   Essence Sight: Detect Magic 15- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting, Telescopic (+1 versus Range Modifier), Tracking  0
22   Long Arms: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (Real Cost: 15) plus Stretching 2" (10 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (Arms; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)  2
47   Animated Vitality: LS (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year)  0
26   Elemental Furnance: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 20 REC) Reserve: (30 Active Points); REC: (20 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (No Magic Zones; -1/4)  0
5   4 Legs: Extra Limbs (2)  0
12   Heavy: Knockback Resistance -6"  0
24   Long Legs: Running +12" (18" total)  2
Powers Cost: 351

Cost   Skill
48   +6 with All Combat 
7   Analyze: Combat 13- 
3   Analyze: Magic 11- 
10   Defense Maneuver I-IV  
4   KS: Dharzooni Tactical Lore 13- 
0   Language: Dharzooni (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points) 
3   Shadowing 11- 
5   Tracking 12- 
Skills Cost: 80

Cost   Talent
3   Absolute Range Sense 
3   Absolute Time Sense 
3   Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty) 
5   Eidetic Memory 
14   Fearless 
Talents Cost: 28

Total Character Cost: 561

Val   Disadvantages
15   Susceptibility: Dispel Magic, 2d6 damage Instant (Common) 
35   Enraged: Berserk When awoken from its thousand-year slumber, and almost any time after that. (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 8- 
10   Physical Limitation: DEX reduced to 10 in No Magic Zones (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing) 
25   Distinctive Features: Enormous Glass-Armored Killing Machine (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) 
20   Physical Limitation: No Manipulation (All the Time, Greatly Impairing) 
381   Giant Glass-Armored Killing Machine Bonus 

Disadvantage Points: 486

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: It's not a Robot... It's a Golem... Honest.

Wizards?

I dunno... I guess I have to check that off... it's supposed to be able to go thousands of years without a snack...

Though I do like the idea of a Wizard a Week... Imagine a village placating one of these things by feeding it a passing Sorceror every few days.

"Oh? Yooti Parhoon? Haven't seen her... since she went up that hill... over there... near the big red arrow... yeah... "

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of the Orihalcion Golem from Slayers NEXT, an enormous man-shaped weapon that was impervious to normal magic. The thingwas over a thousand years old when it was revived, required a human pilot and could blow the top off a mountain ten miles away. Lina Inverse wiped out an entire city in the prcoess of detsroying it.

I also forget what they were called, but one of the groups of warriors in Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind was trying to revive an anicent weapon with a very similar concept. (Nausicaa defies genre classification -- it has elemnts of traditioal fantasy, science fiction, and post-holocaust stories in its setup.)

Hmm' date=' I might be able to get a sreencap from my DVDs, but I can't remember which episode it is - Michael?[/quote']

The first episode of NEXT (Episode #27 overall), the one where Martina is introduced and launches an elaborate plan to conquer the world to feed it to Zoamelgustar (the Demon Lord from inside her head).

Ah Martina...

It all comes horrifyingly back to me...

She wakes the Golem, the heirloom of their kingdom...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Working the levers like mad..

From the control room in the head...

She activates the cannon...

Shooting forth the beam...

Which Lina Inverse and crew find amazing (briefly)...

Hooray for the Golem!

Michael Hopcroft: If wally of the wind got magic then it is fantasy.

But Valley of the Wind doesn't have magic.... Unless you are talking about the Healing/Resurrection scene at the end (plus fufilling a prophesy), which though it might feel like magic, it might not be.

Though it may have many fantasy elements, you can argue that it is not- at least not any more than Dune is fantasy.

... Ok, I'll butt out now...