America is Dead....

HeroGM

Well folx it's 2005. 10 years ago Marvel stopped it's X-titles for 4 months to do the Age of Apocalypse storyline. Accordingly Marvel will be doing a 10th aniversary deal later this year to celebrate. Hand of the AoA, few mini-series, etc.

I'm just curious if anyone had taken AoA and translated it over the their Champion's game, either as an entire campaign or just something to do on the side.

To me it brings new meaning to "Day of the Destoryer," where the evil Dr. has finally succeeded in his plans and and it's up to the remaining heroes to make things right.

And just cause, here's a pic from AoA

Re: America is Dead....

Ran a Champions 3D-type game with this theme. More like when Doom took over the world in that FF TPB than the AoA, but same idea. Dr. D conquers the world and on the surface it is a better place. No war, famine, poverty, etc... but the entire populace lives in fear and those who exhibit any free thinking are summarily destroyed. Ran it like Fahrenheit 451 - the people were mostly prozaced out and had no individuality...except the resistance fighters who were seen as criminals by the populace at large and villified by Dr. D's propaganda machine.

Ironically, since seeing AoA's return, I have been thinking of the "Day of the Destroyer" as a post-apocalypse idea ... what happens if a defining hero dies before he can inspire others to become heroes? Could be neat ...

I never actually did it, but last time I ran Day of the Destroyer, my PCs screwed it up. I can't remember exactly how, but they were basically just kind of farting around ... they didn't really apply themselves, and I don't think they ever found Destroyer's Island. So ... he pushed the button. There goes 9/10ths of the population.

I was, then, going to run a game set many, MANY years in the future (like, the 25th Century or later) where the cosmic energy release had knocked the world slightly out of orbit so it was falling into the sun (admittedly, taking many centuries to do so), but that meant global warming made resources scarce. To entertain the masses, and to keep the ranks of his enemies thinned, Destroyer (still alive; he was immortal in 4E, I think) forces all superhumans into gladiatorial combat, detecting, training, and brainwashing them from birth. While it's not 'to the death', per se, it happens often enough to thin the weeds.

Definitely qualified as 'one way to make sure they know what they do matters', I should think. :)

I never actually did it' date=' but last time I ran Day of the Destroyer, my PCs screwed it up.[/quote']

I was part of a team where the bricks almost always did this, and in a very destructive way. (FYI - I was the skilled normal.) When we were on Destroyer's island, one of the bricks picked up a energy blaster weapon and fired it and failed (rolled a 17 or 18) and ended up sending every round of this automatic weapon out. She ended up destroying some local power generator. Eventually, we destroyed all power to the island, even though about 3/4 of it was unintentional. :straight: I don't recall all of it, but being foiled by bumbling idiots really didn't put us in good with Doctor D.

Um, and I don't know anything about Marvel's "AoA," as it's been abbreviated here, so I can't comment on it. My apology for the side rail (hopefully not a de-rail) and back to your topic.

I don't mind thread drift too much.

Age of Apocalypse was a mini series they did 10 years ago in the X-Men books. It had two "bookends" and Marvel published alternative books for 4 months.

The premise was that Legion, Xavior's son, traveled back in time to when Prof. X and Magneto were still friends in Israel. His idea was if you killed Magneto before he became evil, then the world wouldn't be as f**ked as it was. Unforntatly though he killed Prof. X instead, and as they say it all goes to hell from there. Magneto though promises to take up X's dream of a better mutant future. Flash to AoA: Alpha and it's "x" years later, and Apocolypse (immortal mutant villian) has taken over the U.S. A good number of mutants work for him (the Beast, Cyclops, Havok, etc) while Magneto has formed the X-Men with Rouge, IceMan, Storm, Morph, Blink, Sabertooth and others.

Bishop, one of the X-Men who was sent back to stop Legion is still around and convinces Magneto that time was screwed up and a possible way to set things right, all this with the Europen governments about to bomb the U.S. to get rid of Apocolypse.

All in all not a bad series for an alternate story. Some decent insperation for a world gone wrong with metahumans/mutants. Most comic shops will probably have the back issues, though I'd get them before the anniversary, prices may go up. They did tpb's but they're a pain in the @$$ to get.

TPBs?

Tiny Purple Bottoms?

Translucent Photo Books?

Tradeable PaperBacks?

Toilet Paper Bios?

Please elaborate, I'm unfamiliar with this abbreviation.

#3's close. It's Trade Paper backs, where they collect the stories in a storyarc, package them in 1 (or 2) book(s) and sell them as one big story. It's great if you missed it the first time.

#3's close. It's Trade Paper backs' date=' where they collect the stories in a storyarc, package them in 1 (or 2) book(s) and sell them as one big story. It's great if you missed it the first time.[/quote']

:nonp: Trade Paper Backs. :rolleyes: You'd think I'd know that, being around books at school and all. Urgh.