And Suddenly It's a White Candle Stick!

Nevenall

So, 5ER has been my occasional bedtime reading since it came out. Last night I got to the Minimum Damage from Injuries section and discovered that a character who has 0, or negative, Body but still has stun is NOT unconscious, he can still act normally, he's just bleeding to death. I've never played this way. I started GMing with 4th edition and it has never once occured to me that a character would not be unconscious at 0 Body because in every other game I can think of, 0 means the end of you.

Not that this is bad, the chances of having a lot of stun left by the time you reach 0 Body is slim, but I'm just totally amazed that I missed this and I wonder what other things I might be missing because they are not explicitly mentioned. Wow!

Re: And Suddenly It's a White Candle Stick!

The 5th Edition (revised or otherwise) tends to spell out quite a few things (and a few of them seem to be spelled weird, like adding damage).

I think the case of being conscious while at 0 or negative BODY was included in the 4th edition rules, but I'd have to check to make sure. I know it was possible, but just don't remember if it specifically stated it.

It does make sense though. Just as it's possible that you can be bashed upon the head and knocked out, but not suffer any significent damage, you can be shot through the liver and lie bleeding to death and be awake for the whole thing. Happens in the movies.

My recollection is that it has always been this way even before 4th ed.: Body and Stun do different things.

You may like to play it that if you have negative Body and are still conscious you need to make an Ego roll to do anything but try and hold your guts in, and you may want to double the rate of Body loss if a character engages in combat while fatally wounded, but I'd be inclined to leave it where it is. I kind of like the idea of someone saving the day with their last breath, then dropping down dead. Far more heroic than lying there unconscious and dying unnoticed.

Guest Keneton

Going to negative body never knocked you out in any (even first edition) champions. You need to make an ego roll to act at minuses depending on how negative your body score was.

The first real definition of negative charcteristics came with Champions III

4th edition had bleeding and impairing and disabling wounds as well, which neccesitates the ability to act while in negative body from time to time.

I started GMing with 4th edition and it has never once occured to me that a character would not be unconscious at 0 Body because in every other game I can think of' date=' 0 means the end of you.[/quote']

Man, I know there was some obscure game where you could be at zero "hit points" and still be alive, but bleeding out... God, what was that game called? Oh yeah-- D&D.

And Rolemaster.

Hey, glad to see the official system works this way. :) I like it. Particularly with the 'berserker' effect - damage reduction vs stun only, together with a BODY aid. 'Yeah, he's dead, he just doesn't know it. Any minute now the Aid'll wear off and he'll just collapse.'

I like that.

Guest Keneton

Well you do DIE at negative your total in body no matter what. For example if you have 15 body, at -15 you are dead! You begin dying much sooner, and can take impairing or disabling wounds while still having plenty of body, but you totally stop regradless of stun at your negative body. This often happens with giants in fantasy hero since most have low resistant defenses and often get hit in the vitals do to the low chart. :)