Malvan/Elder Worm Curse

name_tamer

Re: Malvan/Elder Worm Curse

Since I'm beginning to find this topic rather interesting for my preferred mystic/cosmic take on CU, does TE give any further information on the workings of the curse ? Are the Kings of Edom involved in it (since the EW are their preferred servant race) ? Are any info/hints/ideas/plot hooks on how it might be removed, and immediate and long-term effects of the removal, either in modern CU or in the GC age ?

Removing the curse is beginning to look like an excellent quest for a cosmic-level supergroup (especially one with links to malvans/worms/edomites).

I suggest also the new Sentinels (Cyrande, anyone ?) to start taking notes ;)

Well, my guess is the Kings of Edom are connected to it, simply because they are the ultimate source of the Elder Worm's supernatural powers.

Oh' date=' we [i']have[/i]. After all, it is stated in canon at least one Malvan is immune to the curse. (Firewing) And Cyrande is immune, as well. Though really, any attempt to break the curse runs into the problem of what happens next...
I'm suspecting that Firewing and Cyranda (though I'm not familiar with the latter individual) are immune due at least in part to having been born after the Earth year 2020.

*blinks*

Firewing is on Earth in year 2001. And He's immune as a result of being the avator of the Malvan Fire God.

Cyrande is my character in the New Sentinels game (Thread is on the board with a writeup) Why she's immune hasn't come up in game, yet. Though she was born Earth year 1986

Since I'm beginning to find this topic rather interesting for my preferred mystic/cosmic take on CU, does TE give any further information on the workings of the curse ? Are the Kings of Edom involved in it (since the EW are their preferred servant race) ? Are any info/hints/ideas/plot hooks on how it might be removed, and immediate and long-term effects of the removal, either in modern CU or in the GC age ?

Removing the curse is beginning to look like an excellent quest for a cosmic-level supergroup (especially one with links to malvans/worms/edomites).

I suggest also the new Sentinels (Cyrande, anyone ?) to start taking notes ;)

A while back some of us here on the boards were discussing the Tournament of the Dragon, the 60-year cyclical event in which the greatest martial artists in the world compete to be the Earth's champion against the coming of the Death Dragon. One of the results of victory over the Dragon is that the winner's nation receives the blessing of the gods so that it becomes the preeminent nation on Earth during the next cycle.

Someone (forgive my lapsed memory - please mention yourself if you read this) noted that this is just the sort of contest that Firewing would be eager to participate in, and the potential political and metaphysical consequences of a Malvan winning the Tournament and defeating the Death Dragon. :eek:

*blinks*

Firewing is on Earth in year 2001. And He's immune as a result of being the avator of the Malvan Fire God.

Really? I was under the impression that the mystical flame he plunges into and is transfigured by, was some kind of manifestration of the collective consciousness/lifeforce of the Malvan Race, and the Firewing was the actualization of the evolutive/mystical potential of Malvans (much like Empyreans are the actualization of the potential of human race). Maybe this is what makes him immune to the curse, or maybe his focus on self-improvement makes him immune to the curse (and thefore, liable to become the Firewing).

Well, the Flame is clearly quasi-mystical, so whether its some Cosmic Purifier, or the last remaining power of a ( probably long dead ) Malvan god, is neither clear nor certain to be relevant.

However, I would say it was his personal drive and focus that allowed him to resist the Curse, as well as letting him become a Firewing.

Hmm. Is Firewing immune to the curse, per se?

I'd have to think that there are exceptions to the rule to begin with. Who could be bothered being a gladiator if no-one has any ambition at all? I think it's cultural trend more than individual mind control.

So Firewing was a bit odd to begin with. And even after getting into the flame... well, look at him now. He's wandering around the earth, picking fights with other superhumans. He's powerful enough that if he went home, he could take over the place.

Does that strike anyone as ambitious? Anyone?

Curse isn't as strong in him, but it's still sure there.

Hmm. Is Firewing immune to the curse, per se?

So Firewing was a bit odd to begin with. And even after getting into the flame... well, look at him now. He's wandering around the earth, picking fights with other superhumans. He's powerful enough that if he went home, he could take over the place.

Does that strike anyone as ambitious? Anyone?

Curse isn't as strong in him, but it's still sure there.

Or maybe he is so fixated with his own "become the perfect warrior" ideal, that simply isn't interested into becoming a leader.

OTOH, the new and improved version, Firewing 3000, does have overarching ambitions of leadership and being his race's catalyst for change and a return to past greatness.

So either the Flame Purification process got better results, or a subject with less psychological flaws, or the curse is losing strength over the last millennium of the CU (it would be interesting to know if anyone else tried, and succeeded, to become the Firewing in the post-curse period).

Well, on one hand, I think the Curse has weakened over time, on the supernatural side; you just don't really notice, because the cultural patterns reinforce the same behavior.

As for immunity, I don't think its anything special for Firewing. There have probably been numerous people that aren't utterly lacking in ambitions. . . at least at first. Its just, the Curse and/or the social patterns pretty much ensure that the individual doesn't actually achieve anything beyond the personal level. So, said person might be able to leave Malva and explore the galaxy because he prefers it to endless leasure. . . but its not going to change Malva any, and is probably unlikely to change to galaxy in any notable way.