Trek Hero PDF available

Eodin

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I'm new around here. I have recently been lurking here and noted the Star Trek book and though Cool, but I too have been having problems downloading. I got an I/O error, then my connection timed out. I assumed it was because I was on dail-up. Is this a bandwidth issue?

Sample File to test

Yeah, the TNGHero pdf is 4.5Meg, so on a dialup there could be problems...

Xavier and ImperialOne,

As a test, I have added a link on the Trek Hero web site to the 2 page Gorn chapter, which is only 195KB. Try that and let me know.

By the way, when I tested it and it launched my Adobe Reader, there was a 2-4 second period where Adobe Reader was blank and the browser siad "Done". Then it finished loading and the file was fine. I have DSL, so if you're using dial-up, that may fool your browser.

Anyway, let me know how the test goes - we'll try to get you fixed up somehow :)

Thanks for the quick response Eodin

Hmm, well the test was no problem. Naturally it didn't take too long. I'm currently using the full version of Acrobat 5. Unfortunately multiple versions of acrobat don't seem to want to play nice with each other, so I have decided to go with my full version instead of the newest downloadable version.

Do you think there is any way the file can be broken down into several smaller files that are easier to download for the two or three of us ludites who are still confined (by cost or location) to dial-up? If not it's cool, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. :)

Parts and Pieces

I can export one or more selected chapters at a time, so that's no problem. The real problem is that the chapter on UFP races has a lot of pictures in it, and by itself it's a 2 Meg pdf file.

I'll do a little experimenting and see what I come with for pieces and parts.

Guest zarglif69

Listen, I'm not a fanatical Hard SF person, but Star Trek is just fraught with unrealisms. The starship designs are unrealistic (those narrow struts should snap with stress!), the aliens are just humans with slanty eyebrows/forehead ridges and a stereotype attatched (cold and logical, short-tempered brute warriors, etc), or even worse, are exactly like Terran humans but are called aliens, and you CAN'T DRAW A BORDER IN DEEP SPACE AND CALL IT YOUR TERRITORY!!! THERE'S WAY TOO MUCH SPACE TO PATROL!!! Think about it: a thousand Enterprises, a billion even, should be able to slip abreast into the Romulan Neutral Zone, and if they're light-years from a system or other ships/stations, how can they be detected?

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by Eodin

I see. No offense, but if you're going to troll, please do so in a new thread. :(

I won't dispute any of the "unrealisms." It's space opera, and entertaining to a large number of us Trek fans. 'nuff said.

I'm not trolling. I'm making a perfectly valid point. Territory in space is measured in systems and structures, not in square kilometers of void.

EDIT: oh, and I have more posts than you.

Originally posted by zarglif69

I'm planning to teargas a Star Trek convention.

And you are on this thread why??

No one is on this thread because they "believe in" Star Trek. We're here because it's entertaining.

And just to be clear, understand that your particular position on Star Trek has been argued (quite literally) for decades. So you are not exactly making a new point.

Originally posted by zarglif69

EDIT: oh, and I have more posts than you.

I believe he's trying to increase his number of posts, as if this was a video game or something, instead of a communications board.

Xavier, I hope the PDFs were no trouble this time. Imperial One, have you had any luck yet?

I have Adobe Acrobat 6. I actually still could not (by clicking the link), get the whole file to load before it timed me out. Keep in mind, I have a Asymmetric DSL line that is currently running at 412 kbps.

My solution? I simply right-clicked on the link and select the "Save Target As..." and I got the entire file within a few seconds.

As usual, great work with the ongoing tome. I was interested to see the alternative AVLD cost of phasers vs the NND. What do you prefer. Care to elaborate the thinking any further?

Charles

Guest zarglif69

I'm going to shamelessly steal material from your PDF, put it into my homebrew universe, and call it my own.

EDIT: oh, and Eodin, read Hyperion. It's a good story, and may give you a good idea of how to do space opera properly.

Oops

The damage is missing alright. Darn those special effects people ;)

I'll fix it for the next posting; for anyone who wants to write it in before that , they should be 36 + 1d6 and 51 + 1d6 respectively.

As far as the AVLD, that's just my personal take. Anyone who disagrees is certainly in their rights to change it.

With NND, damage is all or nothing. So if the defense is resistant ED, then a 1PD/1ED force field around the target makes the phaser useless against that target. And in a couple of episodes, IIRC, a force field prevented the character from taking damage.

On the other hand, if you look at starship combat, which is still phasers (just bigger), shield strength has a direct impact on the amount of damage the ship takes. Which is definitely not all-or-nothing.

So it's a personal decision on each GM's part, as far as having characters run around with a device that can fire an RKA (51 + 1d6), AVLD, Does BODY. One shot would completely take out a Terran Empire Wasp fighter.

Guest zarglif69

Dan Simmons. It was published in 1992. It was followed by The Fall of Hyperion. In 1996 I think, Endymion was published, followed by The Rise of Endymion.

Eodin, Thanks. I was able to download without incident. It was slow, but it worked. I appreciate your help.

Dan Simmons was the author of Hyperion. I must concur with zarglif69, it was excellent. If you get Hyperion, don't forget Fall of Hyperion. I can't remember if I read it or not, been too many years :)

There is also Endymion and Rise of Endymion.

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by Xavier

Eodin, Thanks. I was able to download without incident. It was slow, but it worked. I appreciate your help.

Dan Simmons was the author of Hyperion. I must concur with zarglif69, it was excellent. If you get Hyperion, don't forget Fall of Hyperion. I can't remember if I read it or not, been too many years :)

There is also Endymion and Rise of Endymion.

You didn't read the Fall of Hyperion!?!? Hyperion is practically just an introduction to Fall of Hyperion.

:) I know I should be ashamed, but honestly I think I read Hyperion probably two years after it was first published. I remember reading it, but it has been quite a while and things are a bit hazy. I keep getting little details of it mixed up with the Exordium series. Now that was a rocking piece of good sci fi space opera. It had everything.