Plot for Mastermind

Mr. R

This is not plots for a mastermind but for the Mastermind.

For those curious he is in the Freedon City book and could best be described as a cro magnon man kidnapped by an alien ship, learned enough to take it over, became a master of it. Designed himself a perfect body with powerful TK abilities and has extensive knowledge of genetics and other sciences. He see's hiself as a protector of humanity and will lead them to a golden age ( that they don't agree with his vision is a sad commentary on the blindness of the human race, but they will learn to follow and accept his vision)

So sort of Gravitar's powerset with Teleios' science back up. But what sort of plots would he set up. Remember he is functionally immortal so long term planning is an actuall possibility.

Jerome

Re: Plot for Mastermind

He could secretly begin to genetically manipulate newborn babies all over to world in order to create a new, improved human race. with or without blatant super abilities (though they would be a little stronger, faster, more disease-resistant, etc.). He could keep track of these children as they grow and start families, to see if the superior traits breed true. He could also run all sorts of experiments of the "nature vs. nurture" question. If the first generation is successful, he could expand his program.

He could seize a small African/South American nation, and begin improving the social and economic condition of the people there. He wouldn't need to move too fast and risk destroying the current social structure, nor would he worry that the economic upturn didn't happen overnight. The thing is, when the other nations of the world investigate, they find the population of the nation has voted The Master into power in free and uninfluenced elections. Scans by supers will show no mind-control or drug influences on the people.

Or, for a more immediate threat the supers can overcome, he could set loose a killer disease in a city, and hold the city hostage until his demands are met. However, if he succeeds, he uses the money for investment in his future plans, and not to build a huge base or anything silly like that.

That's immediately who I thought of also. Isn't his base the crashed alien spacecraft somewhere in Canada?

Actually, Mr. R is referring to the character from Green Ronin's Freedom City setting, who, although he has some of the same elements as the Byrne-era Alpha Flight villain The Master, is a different (and IMHO much cooler) character.

Mr. R, what kind of world are you working in? Do you want plot ideas for Mastermind in the Freedom City universe, or are you trying to integrate him into the Champions Universe (or a homebuilt world)? Mastermind doesn't really seem like the type to use supervillain flunkies, but he certainly would have to plan for the interference of other master villain types.

Some millennia ago, Mastermind set up a self-contained biological habitat in a deep underground cavern and populated it with a variety of genetically-engineered humans. The variant which eventually survives and dominates the habitat will clearly be the correct template for the new human race. Unfortunately, an earthquake/experimental digging machine/Villain X/Hero Y has broken the seals, and his experiments are now loose in the world.

Superpowers are simply too destructive to be allowed in the utopia Mastermind’s planning, and he thinks he’s found a way to permanently eliminate them. True, the treatment caused his first test subject’s powers to flare out of control, allowing him to break out of the lab and go on a berserk rampage through the city, but he’s sure he’ll get it right next time.

A very ancient, immortal villain like this could take a very long-term view, planning for events centuries or even millennia in the future. His actions might appear to have disastrous consequences for mankind in the here-and-now, but from his viewpoint the short-term suffering his actions caused would be more than justified by the long-term benefits to humanity and/or the planet. As he is a true master-level villain his plots can be suitably epic in scope. A few possibilities off the top of my head:

Destroy most of the industrial world's infrastructure to curtail environmental destruction and global warming;

Create massive earthquake/volcano/similar natural disaster, in order to "release the pressure" that would have ultimately led to an even worse natural disaster ("ultimately" may be a very long time from now);

Massively cull the human population to ease resource depletion and/or eliminate those less genetically adaptable to upcoming environmental changes;

Conduct genocide against one ethnicity with a recessive genetic flaw which will eventually "damage" the gene pool if allowed to extensively interbreed. (Definition of "damage" may not be widely accepted);

Set off widespread detonations of nuclear arsenals and reactors, to increase radiation levels which will push the survivors(!) on to the next stage in human evolution.

Sounds like a version of Vandal Savage. I'd say have him take the long view on virtually all his plans and only dabble in local and immediate villainy to alleviate his boredom. Have him be (or become) a highly respected philanthropist who gives regularly to charities, maybe even sponsors a superteam. Start dropping clues every other adventure or so that maybe he's not who everyone thinks he is. Maybe his "long term goals" is to simply not be board, and he just messes with people for kicks.

For example, maybe he could sponsor your PC's team--give them cool headquarters, tech, etc, with no strings attached. A few adventures later have the HQ broken into, or attacked. Maybe one of the heroes has his secret identity almost compromised by a villain, or maybe a villain (or team) simply know much more about the heroes than they should.

Slowly reveal the fact that the Mastermind helped the supervillains the same way he helped the superheroes, and kinda nudged them at each other to see how they would react.

Go for subtle, not the typical "Mastermind vs. the PCs" plot.

Destroy most of the industrial world's infrastructure to curtail environmental destruction and global warming;

Maybe his ultimate goal a return to hunting and gathering. “It’s environmentally sustainable and much less stressful than modern life. I should know, right? Why, back when I was your age… anyway, with a few genetic tweaks to prevent disease and the elimination of the majority of the human population, it would be paradise. Of course, one highly qualified person would have to keep some technology. For emergencies. And to maintain social control, that person would have to use that technology to create a worldwide religion, centered on himself…there's no other way for the human race to survive in the long term, really.â€

As a departure from Vanguard00's very good suggestions, since this character sees himself as benevolent, he could very well perform actions that might seem beneficial as well as harmful, even helping the heroes on occasion. This could lead to a more complex, love-hate-but-respect relationship with the PCs which would bring interesting roleplaying possibilities.

Maybe his ultimate goal a return to hunting and gathering. “It’s environmentally sustainable and much less stressful than modern life. I should know' date=' right? Why, back when I was your age… anyway, with a few genetic tweaks to prevent disease and the elimination of the majority of the human population, it would be paradise. Of course, one highly qualified person would have to keep some technology. For emergencies. And to maintain social control, that person would have to use that technology to create a worldwide religion, centered on himself…there's no other way for the human race to survive in the long term, really.â€[/quote']

Now this sounds like a good idea for how he would come to power while still working within his whole "betterment of mankind" schtick. He isn't in it for the power, but since he is best suited to sustain a long-term solution......

Thanks for all the replies. I am not running a game right now (I am sooooo isolated) but when I read MM description I loved the concept but couldn't get ideas for suitable villiany. I would love to use him in the next campaign I run (which will be set in San Angelo) ( if ever ) and I will keep these ideas in mind for plots.

Again thank you

Jerome

~Concerned that evolution may be in retrograde, he kidnaps several hundred retirees from a retirement home, rejubvenates them back to their youth, and unleashes them on an unsuspecting populace.

~He manufactures a cosmic ray which is able to painlessly sterlize the population of entire cities from orbit, removing them from the genepool. The heroes become aware of this fact, and learn that their city is about to do something really, really, stupid.

~He clones himself, in order to have someone to talk to. Clone escapes, and starts calling himself "Foxbat"

One way to do a guy like this is to have him play humanitarian, but his actions are always extreme for the time. An example is forceing the world to come up with alternate forms of power, by destroying the world's oil supply. His intentions may be good, but his methods aren't.