Need ideas for a revised CU timeline

altamaros

Hi Hero People.

i'm wroking currently on my own campaign world a modified version of the CU. For the sake of detail, i divided my timelines in themes (as in the Shadowrun rulesbook for those who know)

So far, the themes are

- Aliens & space events (almost done : anything related to ETs or events in this universe aside of earth)

- Other dimensions (in process : anything related to extra-dimensional of time travel)

- Occult (to do : anything related to magic or occult)

- Science, technology and progress (nuff said)

- Politics and lost civilizations (anything related to geopolitics including lost and unknown civilizations)

- supers (anything related to events caused by superheroes (not paranormals, only superheroes or villains)

I'm looking forward to get ideas of fictional or historical events to include in my timeline or (eventually) things to modify in the CU.

examples :

(from the "Et" timeline)

France : Thanks to alchemy, cyrano de Bergerac reached the moon and meets the Selenites (in my campaign, odragan servants to the Progenitors, left ther to watch for the earth 'til humanity attains the age of space travel)

Switzerland : Using the old notes of Cyrano de Bergerac ; the Baron of Munchausen reached the moon. he's driven mad by the travel and later develop a severe form of mythomania.

(from the "other dimensions" timeline)

Africa : due to a failed scientific experiment, a rift opens between "Gorilla world" (a world where civilization evolved from gorillas) and CU-Earth; causing a gorillan city to "swing" between the two dimensions. the dimensional ripples cause a passing plane to crash down, killing two of its passengers; a english lord, J. Greystoke and his wife.

Among the gorillan rescue team, a scientist named Kala find the child of the couple and decides to adopt him. But as the rift is slowly closing and due to the opposition of her superiors; she's forced to leave him behind... which she does after secretly altering his DNA to increase his chances to survive.

Over the years, Gorilla City will return for random periods of time in the CU-earth -in my campaign, Dr Silverback is born in this city-

your ideas ? your thoughts ?

D.

PS : i already included things from Burroughs (Tarzan, John Carter), Poe (Arthur Gordon Pym) or Verne. If you have other authors in mind ...

Re: Need ideas for a revised CU timeline

A lot of us were Lovecraft inspired so for the Occult theme you could have between 1920-35 or later various Lovecraftian themes with much of it unreported or dismissed.

Examples are Rlleyeh (sp ?) rising from the ocean in 1926 or 1929.

The MiGo being behind the Wall Street Crash etc

I like using historical people, and implying that they have been involved in various events...

An example is when I had Theodore Roosevelt and Nikola Tesla build a giant cannon and shoot down a flying saucer in 1908. It crashed in Siberia, with predictable results.

You may consider looking at various lists of natural/manmade disasters, and figure out how you can use them.

D.T. : thanks for the idea of Lovecraft. i didn't read anything from him since i stopped playing CoC in 98 however. Between the Mystic Wold and the DEMON sourcebook my occult timeline is already starting well.

An example is when I had Theodore Roosevelt and Nikola Tesla build a giant cannon and shoot down a flying saucer in 1908. It crashed in Siberia' date=' with predictable results.[/quote']

For the "tungunska boom" thing, CU has already something on this.

You may consider looking at various lists of natural/manmade disasters' date=' and figure out how you can use them.[/quote']

maybe and remember the law of comics : "it is rare, it is unlikely but sometimes, natural disasters are natural" ;)

PS : i already included things from Burroughs (Tarzan' date=' John Carter), Poe (Arthur Gordon Pym) or Verne. If you have other authors in mind ...[/quote']

HG Wells: The Time Machine(1895), The Island Of Dr. Moreau (1896), The Invisible Man (1897) and The War of the Worlds (1898).

Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes, The Lost World.

Dashiell Hammett: The Maltese Falcon. (The ultimate McGuffin!)

etc... :)

HG Wells: The Time Machine(1895)' date=' The Island Of Dr. Moreau (1896), The Invisible Man (1897) and The War of the Worlds (1898).[/quote']

Already in the official CU but i changed it a bit.

my updates :

War of the worlds

i kept the idea of a all-mighty alien race (the Progenitors) manipulating evolution on earth but i gave them a race of servants : the Odragans (AFAIK they're just mentioned in the CU timeline as Star Guardian's bosses).

When a sentient race begin to develop a civilization on some planet; the Progenitors send the Odragans to watch the planet and protect it from extra-planetary threats (space invaders, planet-eaters and planet-to-planet insurance salesmen) til it reaches the age of space travel (which humanity reached in 1969 with the landing of Neil Armstrong on the moon).

The Odragans established a base on the moon and became the Selenites.

around 1870, a float of refugees from the Sirian star system came to the solar system. The Odragans refused them the right to land on earth but helped them to set a colony on Mars.

Unsatisfied of life on the red planet, the sirians spent some years to build a army and tried to seize earth in 1898. they failed when the Selenites infected earth's atmosphere with a genetically enhanced sirian virus.

The Selenites then destroyed the martian colony and sent the sirian survivors back into space. they eventually returned in 1938; the Selenites destoryed 95% of their brand new army; the other 5% were stopped by terran superheroes.

The Time Machine

Aside Captain chronos being H.G. Wells' time traveller, nothing more.

Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes' date=' The Lost World.[/quote']

Holmes is already in the official CU; i don' know the novels so i keep him as he is.

The Lost World : merged with Verne's "journey to the center of the earth" : the lost world is a classic "Dinosaur Land" alternative earth.

Dashiell Hammett: The Maltese Falcon. (The ultimate McGuffin!)
never read it :o

Philip Wylie's novel Gladiator
never heard of him before. i found some references. interesting stuff.

A few possibilities come to mind.

1. Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 and the sequels. Maybe a new era was kicked off by finding a transmitter on the moon, much like in 2001.

2. Go back to the late 1800s, early 1900s when occultism was in vogue and everyone was interested in ghosts, talking to spirits and such. Make it real.

3. Let one of the bad guys win. It's daring, but what happens if say, Hitler won WWII. Or the aliens from War of the Worlds weren't killed off by cold germs. Or any of a thousand other possibilities. Even if they eventually got overthrown, one of the bad guys winning would really change history.

I come back to my timeline :

i'm looking for ideas (still in the CU) to explain/improve those things

- Meteor Crater (2 millions of year ago, Arizona)

- The Krakatoa eruption (1902 IIRC)

- The crop circles.

I'm also looking for some infos on this point

- When did the elders worms came to earth ?

- How does it appear in the FH games (i don't follow the FH line) ?

- how were they repelled/vanquished/destroyed ?

i'm looking for ideas (still in the CU) to explain/improve those things

- Meteor Crater (2 millions of year ago, Arizona)

- The Krakatoa eruption (1902 IIRC)

- The crop circles.

Two of those sound like "Natural Disasters" to me. :) Some stuff from my own campaign.

~Meteor Crater: Obviously an alien/extraterrestrial event. A spaceship full of alien criminals jetissons its power plant and crashes Centuries later the criminals awaken from stasis, and found the Anasazi empire. Ancient native american supowerheores gather and defeat them, committing them to stasis once more. Awoken again in the 1930's, they help America make an atmoic bomb, land on the moon, and invent velcro. An attempt by intergalactic police authorities to arrest the criminals leads to the roswell crash and the deaths of several intergalactic police officers.

~Krakatoa Eruption: Concerned about the growing level of magic and technology in the world, a powerful sorcereress of the time decides to create a sanctum seperate from this world. The attempt to move an insignificant island to another dimension suceeds, but causes massive damage to the region. Filled with remorse, the corceress vows to use her powers to help the "people" of Asia, and helps Mao come to power in China.

~Crop Circles: Aliex Race D has been invaded by Alien Race G. Race D has come to Earth to abduct humans with power to fight in the war to liberate their planet, and have so since the end of world war II. While some volunteered to help the aliens for reasons of their own, others were forced. Race D has also performed various experiments on humans, to learn why they have powers, creating several superpowered people. Upon learning of the source of the creatures that plague their war effort, Race G decides to punish the Earth, threatening the heroes stuff. the crop circles are caused by their flying saucers doing pickups, naturally.