IST San Angelo version 2.0

Mark Rand

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: IST San Angelo version 2.0

We now rejoin to Keiko and Tom in the gateway world.

While an embassy staffer that knew how to cremate bodies started doing so, they went to the hotel linen room and found racks of spare uniforms. By repositioning some of the racks in conference room two, they were able to fit them in. They then started emptying conference rooms three and four.

"I saw a maid in one of the rooms down here," Keiko said. "I'll grab her keys and a baggage cart and use it to move the books and makeup kits into one of the rooms. We can set the wigs on a clear table and move the shelves into the rooms."

"I see. Once the shelves are in the room, we can put the wigs in them."

"Right, Tom. I'll grab some bookends from the church and we can put the books on the top of the dressers and the kits inside. We can put the makeup products where we have room."

"We can also put the tights, leotards, top hats, formal canes and other stuff from conference room four in the dressers of the other rooms and use the baggage racks to hold some of the other clothing we've found."

"Right. Did you see the white-uniformed maniquin in the room with the uniforms? Keiko asked.

"I saw it," Tom replid. "Why?"

"We can put the cape from the nurse in the church on it. Since she wasn't wearing it when we found her body, it would be considered outerwear."

"Good point,' Tom said. "Let's get started."

As they were about to start, the staffer doing the cremations handed Keiko a paper bag. "Here's the jewelry and stuff that was in the pockets of the ones being cremated," he said.

"Can you take the maid in the back once I get her keys?" Keiko asked.

"Sure. You want me to take the bodies with the luggage carts, too?"

"Please," Keiko replied.

"No problem. After we unload them, I'll use one cart to transport the bodies."

Once the staffer was gone, Tom said, we won't have enough space for thr clothes we recover.

"I know," Keiko said. "Any ideas?"

"We use half the rooms on each floor as storage," Tom replied. "Also, we leave rooms three and four down here as they were."

"Yeah," Keiko said. "The storage rooms should always on the same side of the hall. We can put the luggage the stewardesses in the lobby were carrying in the rooms here, too."

"Good plan," Tom said.

Eight hours later, Tom and Keiko finished and returned to IST San Angelo. Kuntala met them as they entered.

"What's wrong?" Tom asked, noting the look on her face.

"Both houses of Congress overrode President Ryan's veto of the zero-zone bill," she replied. "Vice-President Kinsey said that it would be a boon for everyone."

"It'll be a boon only for the rich," April said as she joined them. "I suspect that cities having financial problems will cut off either low-income neighborhoods in favor of the rich or high crime neighborhoods, like the Strip District, hoping they'll kill themselves off."

"That's my fear, too," Kuntala admitted.

"Maybe San Angelo's prostitutes will decide to hold a community meeting to discuss the problem and created a legal system for the neighborhood," Keiko said. "No doubt, they'll make sure everyone knows about the meeting and that, weither you come or not, you must obey the laws they've come up with."

"I hope you're right," Kuntala said. "What kind of legal system do you think they'll come up with?"

"I'm not sure," Keiko replied. "I guess ithe legal code will be one that they can easily enforce. Sincethey're not bound by any laws here, everyone might go around armed."

"Which means that most serious crimes will be punished, on the spot, by death," Kuntala said.

"Yeah," April said. "What about traffic violations?"

"They're caused be people who are either in a hurry or don't care," Keiko said. "Maybe, they'll force the violater to spend a certain amount of time handcuffed to a utility pole or a street light."

"Someone who litters could be forced to pick up all the trash on the neighborhood streets and sidewalks," April said. "Since all the posters that arre put up on trees, poles and other are considered litter, too, they may have to remove all of them, too."

In case you're wondering about it, the IST San Angelo version 3.0 I mentioned a couple of posts ago is an idea running through my brain. It would be the information from version 2.0 presented as an average superhero gets it.

It would consist of information from newspapers, news magazines, Metahuman Monthly, television programs, city guides and the briefing pack people get when they arrive at a new embassy.

"Any plans for tonigh, Keiko?" Tom asked. "If not, we could work out together."

"No thanks," she replied. "April and I are are heading to San Angelo Raceway tonight."

"Ah," he said. "Stock car racing is a wonderful sport."

"Yeah, but from our seat, we don't see much," Keiko replied.

"Where do you two sit?" Tom asked.

"Track level," April replied as she joined them. "I drive the pace car. Keiko crews for me."

"Oh," Tom said as Kuntala came in.

"This is interesting," the embassy's legal attache said. "A car ran a red light at excessive speed this morning. Suddenly, all four tires blew and the engine died. A police car came up as the driver began running. His pants fell down, tripping him. When the police opened the car trunk, they found over one million dollars in drugs."

"Any idea what happened?" Keiko asked.

"Someone heard a person mumbling something about a curse ahnd things going wrong."

"What caused it?" Tom asked.

"Murphy's law caught up with him," Keiko replied.

"Yeah," April added.

The city government has decided not to declare The Strip District a zero-zone," Kuntala said over breakfast the next day.

"Thanks for the information," Keiko said.

"You're welcome," Kuntala said as an embassy nurse joined them and April.

"Is it true that you found a bunch of old-style white uniforms?" she asked.

"Yes, along with colored uniforms," Keiko replied. "Some of the colored ones are still in use."

"I see," the nurse said. "I'll stick with scrubs. They're more practical."

"They had one advantage," Keiko said. "You could tell what a person in a hospital did by their uniform."

"You can tell by the ID badge what we do," the nurse said.

"How many people read them?" Keiko asked.

"I'm not going to wear one," the nurse said. "There's no style to them and a cap will get caught on the IV rigging."

"Nobody said you had to," Keiko said. "They're there in case anyone wants to."

"I'll try one on," April said. "Of course, I'll also try on an old-style stewardess's uniform and other clothing, too. I just might use some wigs and a makeup kit to change my looks."

"Why?" the nurse asked.

"Like Keiko, I'm a ninja," April replied. "We use disguises."

"Oh."

At noon, Sir John announced that the President would be addressing the world at 1 pm on an issue of world security and that monitors would be set up in the sixth floor conference room, the fifth floor rec room and dining hall, and the fourth floor press auditorium and administrative conference room.

"I know that I have full diplomatic immunity," Sir John said as he and Kuntala talked in his office. "Do the heroes have any?"

"Yes," she replied. "They have a small degree. They're permitted to perform any acts short of murder and the violation of civil rights. Didn't they tell you this?"

"Must've slipped my mind," he replied as they exited. "Carol, are you joining us?"

"No," she replied, before reaching down to pet Ginger. "I'll listen to it on the radio while I catch up on my paperwork."

"Understood," Sir John said as he and Kuntala left.

"I'm glad the city council decided not to make the Strip District a zero zone," Tom said as he, the heroes, and a few others gathered in the rec room, where the broadcast was being shone on the room's two 52-inch HD plasma-screen TVs. "California doesn't need a second Basin City."

"Never heard of it," Dr. Arcane said.

"It's a city on the coast filled with polititions and police that are either corrupt of inept, or both," April said. "The town's prostitutes rule the Old Town neighborhood, where they live and work."

"I'm surprised the mob let's them rule the area," Guardian said from where he sat, without his armor on.

"The ladies, reputedly, warned a well-connected pimp, known only as Slick, to get out of town or else. He and his thugs, Moose and Riocky, were found locked in the trunk of his car after being bound and gagged with duct tape. The car's paint had been scratched, its seats slashed, its airbags shreaded, and all five of its tires flat." There was laughter in the room. "After he got new tires on the car, Slick started it up, and scunk scent came out of the air conditioning vents. Moments later, the car's muffler and catalitic converter exploded."

to be continued.

"Somebody doesn't like Slick," Doctor Arcane commented.

"True," April said. "When he arrived home, he found that his apartment had been vandalized. His furnature and a large painting of him had been slashed and all his booze bottles, now empty, were on the floor by the fireplace, where a fire had been burning. Two days later, he and his thugs vanished."

"I got into the city planning office computer files," Elaine said. "One of the buildings in the city's Old Town neighborhood was a funeral parlor with three crematories Slick and his friends could have been cremated."

"Did you find anything of interest in the police records?" Keiko asked, knowing that Elaine and her team sometimes had to hack into computers to find information the heroes needed.

"No," Elaine replied.

"He may not have filed a police report," Tom suggested.

"True," April said, reaching for the remote. "The speach is starting."

"Ladies and gentlemen," the announcer said. "From the United States Air Force's Cheyenne Mountain Complex, the President of the United States."

"Fellow citizens of the world, I'm standing in the gateroom of Stargate Command," the President said. "In a moment, the camera will pan to the right and you'll see the Stargate. It's a device for transporting people and items throughout the universe in just moments."

He talked the history of the project, the threat from the Goa'uld system lords and the current threat, Anubis. He also spoke of the Earth's allies, the Nox, the Tolan, the Tok'ra, and the Asgard.

Promotions were announced. Major General George Hammond, the base commander, was promoted to Lieutenant General and made head of Homeworld Security. Dr. Elizabeth Weir would become the base commander until the threat from Anubis was ended. After that, Brigadier General Jack O'Neill would assume leadership of Stargate Command. Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter would head SG-1.Dr. Janet Frasier, the base's chief medical officer was promoted from major to lieutenant colonel and, due to almost dieing from a staff blast, given a purple heart. Lieutenant Diana Thompson, the SGC's head nurse, was promoted to captain.

"I demand that you put this base under the command of the NID right now!" Kinsey yelled. "They're the only ones that'll get us the stuff we need to defend our country from all agressers, weither hear on Earth or out in space."

"If we did that, we'd be no better than terrorists ourselves," the President said calmly. "Besides that, I don't trust the NID, or National Intelligence Department, at all. They've never been able to get rid of their rogue element, assuming, of course, that there is one."

Kinsey fumed as the alarm sounded and a female voice said over the PA system, "Incoming wormhole. Closing iris." As the people in the gate room went to the control room, a group of tones came over the speakers. "Receiving SG-2's iris code. Opening iris."

Four people, one female and limping badly, came through. "Medic," one man yelled.

"Get a stretcher team," janet said as she and Diana grabbed their bags, both of which had been inspected by the Secret Service. "Since you know both orthopedic and trauma nursing, Diana, I want you to her bad leg."

"Will do. May I also suggest a CAT scan?"

"Good plan, Diana," Janet said.

"SG-2 is one of our exploration teams," General Hammond said. "Since they're not a front-line combat team, they can have women on them. Captain Bethany Fields, the injured woman, is SG-2's cultural and lingual expert. She has a masters in anthropology and speaks Ancient Egyption, Goa'uld, Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic."

"Isn't she smart enough to get a PhD?" Kinsey asked.

"She's taking classes part time and working on her thesis for it," General Hammond replied. "I'm sure she'll get some tome to work on it in the infirmary."

"Colonel Carter, I'd like to meet Jolinar of Malksure," the President said. "Can you arrange it?"

"One moment, Mr. President," Samantha said, lowering her head. When she raised it again, her eyes glowed.

"It's an honor to meet you, Mr. President," she said in an echoy tone, another indication that the symbiote was in control, not the host. "Samantha and I both think highly of you."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"How much help can we get from the Tok'ra against Anubus?" President Ryan asked.

"I don't know," Jolinar replied. "They don't confide in me much. However, I know that a group of Tok'ra have decided to take and active part in the was against Anubus and the other system lords and now have a hat'ak in Earth orbit, near the Promethus and the ships that either we've captured or are our allies."

"Good," the President said. Kinsey started ranthing about turning Samantha over to the NID "I should've gone with my original plan and asked Gloria Valdez to be my running mate. She's smart, popular, and the mother of a Slayer."

Kinsey declared that the NID considered all Slayers sub-human and was going to round up them up and experiment on them, like they did with demons in the old Initative that Buffy and her gang ruined.

"That organization was illegal," the President said as his Chief of Staff handed him a note.

"Now that you've told the world this, the Slayers and police will be on guard." Elizabeth said. "If anyone dies, it's felony murder by the NID. They may also hold you partially responsibele and impeach you."

"There is no more NID," the President said. "I ordered the Joint Chiefs to shut it down and sease all of their records."

"You can't shut them down!" Kinsey roared. "THe Congressional Intelligence Oversight Committes will force you to restore them."

"Congress has no right to oversee the intelligence committee," the President said.

"Yes, we do," Kinsey stated. "We gave ourselves that right."

"The Supreme Court is going to declare that law unconstitutional," President Rtan said. "They're also going to declare the War Powers Act, Patriot Act, the law baning women from combat and the law exempting the government from some of its laws unconstitutional."

"They wouldn't dare!" Kinsey roared.

"They are going to," the President said.

"You will stop this and you will do whatever it takes to please those that underwrote your campaign or you'll be just a one-term President," Kinsey warned.

"What are you talking about?" the President asked.

"A group of wealthy people gave you a lot of money," Kinsey replied. "They want you do do things for them, but you haven't. You will and, from now on, you'll take orders from me."

"Would this group be the Trust that's been giving us problems?" General Hammond asked.

"Yes," Kinsey replied.

"Thank you for admitting it on live television," Andera said. "Your friends are going to join the NID crew in jail."

"No they're not," Kinsey said in a smug tone. "The NID is jamming the signals from the trucks outside."

"But they're not jamming everything," General Hammond said. "The base security cameras and microphones are being fed, through switching equipment, to C-SPAN and, from there, throughout the world. We may not be as good as the networks, but we're doing the best we can."

"No!" Kinsey roared.

"Tes," President Ryan said cakmly. "The jig is up, Kinsey. You gave us enough to ensure your impeachment. The only way you can avoid is is to resign."

"Never!" Kinsey roared. "You'll never get away with ruining the NID. They're the only intelligence agency in this country smart enough to ugnore the fools at the National Security Council."

"It's been ruined for years," the President said. Turning, he asked, "General Hammond, what ships to we have in orbit?"

as the President finished, the alarm sounded. "Incoming wormhole," came the announcement. Closing iris." After it closed and the Stargate closed, they heard, "Receiving Tol'ra Iris code. Opening iris." A balding man walked through and the Stargate shut down.

"Dad," Samantha yelled.

"All units stand down," General Hammond said. "What's Jacob doing here?"

"Let's find out," the President said.

They returned to the gateroom. "Mr. President," Jacob said, comming to attention and saluted. President Ryan returned it. "I have news," General Carter said. "Anumus is on his way here. According to our best estimate, he'll arrive within two days."

"Does he want to conquer the world?" the President asked.

"He wants to either kill everyone on it or destroy it completely," Jacob replied. "He also, we think, become solid again."

The gate activated again. This time, it was Master Bra'tac. "Hammond of Texas, will you grant me leave to enter your compound?" he asked.

"Yes, Master Bra'tec," General Hammond replied. "It's good to see you again." He then introduced the various people to the Jaffa Master.

"I am honored to meet you, Mr. President," he said. "Hammond of Texas speaks highly of you." He then jestured to Kinsey and added, "However, he doesn't approve of this ha'shak."

"What did he call me?" Kinsey asked.

"A fool," Daniel Jackson replied.

Kinsey's face turned red and a few people chuckled.

"Kinsey's unpopular there," April said as she watched the unfolding events.

"Yeah," Tom agreed.

"What spacecraft do we have?" the President asked.

"We have the Promethus, an X-302-class battle cruiser and the Del Shakka Mel, which translates as I Die Free, an advanced mothership we captured from Anubus," General Hammond replied. Our allies, the Free Jaffa Nation, have two captured Ha'raks in orbit. They are the Ba'al's Hammer and the Ba'al's Wraith. As you know, Buffy Summers and her associates recently joined our company. Buffy is also the current host of Enerina, who,along with her former host, was tortured by Anubus. Her ships, the Tara McClay, the Manifest Destiny, and the Enerina's Wraith, are all out on missions."

"Receiving message from the Promethus," came the announcement from the control room. "Two ships are coming out of hyperspace near Jupiter's orbot and breaking down to orbital velocity." There was a pause, and the report continued, "It's the Tara McClay and the Asgard O'Neill-class battleship Daniel Jackson. Both have requested, and were granted clearance to orbit."

Two more ha'taks approched. They were the Enerina's Wraith and the Manifest Disteny. Both asked for and received [ermission to enter Earth orbit.

Suddenly, the alarms sounded as the gate began dialing and the iris closed.

"Receiving Valkyrie iris code, from Cimmeria," came the report once the gate activated."Friends," Hammond said. "Opening iris."

"Valkyries?" the President asked.

"Asgard special forces," Samantha replied.

"Oh," the President said as Kinsey growled.

A dark-haired women walked through first, followed by 49 more people. "Gairwyn," Samantha called out.

"Thor asked us to come and join your fight," she said. "How could we refuse?"

"You couldn't," General Hammond replied before performing introductions.

"We are honored that you could come," President Ryan said.

"It is our pleasure, Mr. President," Gairwyn said. "Earth, Midgard as wecall it, is our ancient homeworld. It is only fitting that we help our brothers and sisters in their time of need."

"Message from the Promethus," came a voice from the control room. "Four ships, an inentified ha'tak with the Asgard shops Jack O'Neill,, Samantha Carter, and Teal'c in persuit, heading for Earth."

"Who has command authority up there?" the President asked.

"The Promethus has command authority over its fighters. Buffy Summers commands the rest. As you may recall, she's the Tarithna, or Hunter of the Debased Ones. In the old days, the Traithna actually had a group of Jeffa serving her."

"I see," the President said.

"All ships, red alart," came Buffy's voice over the speakers. "All ships are to lock weapons on the approaching ha'tak as soon as they are in range." The ship proved to be owned by the Trust, allies of the rogue NID agents. They fired on Buffy's ship. Everyone fired back, transforming theTrust ship into space dust.

"No!" Kinsey roared before hitting the President's jaw with enough force to knock him backwards, into the rail.

As Elizabeth knelt by the President the Secret Service crouded around him. "He's alive," she daid. Turning, she spotted the person she was looking for. "Major Castleman!"

"Yes, Ma'am?" asked a marine officer, comming to attention.

"Arrest Mr. Kinsey and toss him into a high-security cell. Make sure he's no threat to anyone, especially himself. The charge is attempted murder."

"Yes, Ma'am!"

As Major Castleman headed for Kinsey, three NID troopers entered the room, from each doorway, with drawn guns They explained their plans, which included taking over the base, killing everyone in it but Kinsey, who they were going to make President, and forcing the world to do what they wanted.

"When Elizabeth pointed out that they were on television, they laughed and told her that they were jamming the transmission to C-SPAN. Deciding to prove they were in charge, they hadioed the team with the jamming equipment and found the Slayer team from Denver instead. The NID agents that had tried to capture them and the agents they'd left with the jamming equipment were in jail and the police had all their equipment. Enraged, one agent charged Elizabeth while another charged Special Agent Andrea Price, who headed the President's Secret Service detail, while the other four were attacked by high-voltage electricity.

The one charging Elizabeth had a knife. "Are you going to surrender or do I have to get rough?" Dr. Elizabeth Weir asked. He tried to slash her. She go rough before knocking him out.