Blizards, Hurricanes, and Heat Waves

MagicPegasus

I have a powerfull supervillain who can create any type of weather condition. I have the Change Environment power all worked out for her. My question is what are the game effects when she creates a particular type of weather? What would be the effects for rain, snow, thunder storms, winter blizard, or a catagory 5 hurricane? Does anyone have specific suggestions?

Re: Blizards, Hurricanes, and Heat Waves

TK for force effects, Darkness vs sight/sound for heavy rain, Heat waves can be a drain vs. end or stun, drain or suppress vs speed for blizzards that freeze targets. Even a form of entangle that encases them in ice. Lots of ways to build weather powers.

I have a powerfull supervillain who can create any type of weather condition. I have the Change Environment power all worked out for her. My question is what are the game effects when she creates a particular type of weather? What would be the effects for rain' date=' snow, thunder storms, winter blizard, or a catagory 5 hurricane? Does anyone have specific suggestions?[/quote']

Bear in mind that Change Environments have limited abilities in combat. They can have minor effects on combat only. For example, a windstorm CE might cause a -1 CV to everyone caught within it.

For major weather effects you should use other Powers. Darkness is a classic to confound the senses, but you could simulate a blinding storm with a Flash (particles blown into the eyes, would then follow the character if they succeed in getting out of the Darkness field); use a Drain on movement or DEX or STR to simulate bitter cold; TK AE to keep fliers off balance. There are so many possibilities. I know this is a little old, but I'd look at the Four Winds villain team in Kingdom of Champions. They might give you some ideas you could convert to 5th ed.

Theala

I have a powerfull supervillain who can create any type of weather condition. I have the Change Environment power all worked out for her. My question is what are the game effects when she creates a particular type of weather? What would be the effects for rain' date=' snow, thunder storms, winter blizard, or a catagory 5 hurricane? Does anyone have specific suggestions?[/quote']

Are you looking for ways to use the CE, or for other Powers to simulate weather effects, like RKA for lighting and TK for really strong winds?

Just in case, I'll throw out a little of both:

Most weather effects can be achieved using nothing more than CE. It can provide those PER penalties due to visibility or strong wind, movement penalties (or DEX penalties) due to icy or wet surfaces, and even account for small amounts of dust or debris in the air.

More profound effect must be handled by other Powers. Some common ones:

Lightning: RKA. If it comes from the sky, don't forget to make in Indirect.

Wind: TK for moving other things, Flight or Gliding for moving yourself. You can also use EB with Double Knockback for windblasts so strong the wind itself if damaging.

Hail: Most likely an EB Armor Piercing or RKA Reduced Penetration. In either case, it should be AE (possibly with non-selective to give everybody a chance to dodge those nasty iceballs).

Rain: In my opinion, the CE should take care of putting out small fires, but for a large one, you could buy a Suppress or Dispel versus Fire Powers defined as a concentrated downpour.

Cold/Heat: For creating weather effects that simulate extreme cold or heat, build them as NND/Drains that are negated by the appropriate Life Support (see the Environment section on Tempurature Levels for information on the effects of extreme cold and heat).

I've been designing a Weather Control NPC as well, here's her powers if it helps.

Cost Powers END

75 Weather Manipulation Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve

4u 1) Called Lightning Strike: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED), Indirect (From the sky.; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Only outdoors (Power loses about half of its effectiveness; -1) 7

7u 2) Deluge!: Suppress Fire Powers 7d6, Variable Effect (Four Powers Simultaneously; +1) (70 Active Points) 7

7u 3) Snowstorm: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 70 Real Cost) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED) (Real Cost: 50) plus Flash 5d6 (Sight Group) (25 Active Points); Does Not Work Against Desolidified Characters (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20) 7

7u 4) Ice Shield: Force Wall (14 PD / 14 ED) (Opaque: Infrared Perception) (75 Active Points) 7

4u 5) Ice Bonds: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (Stops A Given Sense: Normal Sight), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (67 Active Points); Vulnerable to fire powers (Common; -1/2), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4) 7

6u 6) When the wind blows!: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 7

20 Weather Powers: Elemental Control, 40-point Powers

20 1) Wind Shield: Force Field (14 PD / 13 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points) (added to Primary Value)

20 2) Wind Walker: Flight 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x8)) (40 Active Points) 4

24 3) Rainstorm: Darkness to Hearing Group 3" radius (Additional Sense Group: Sight Group), Hole In The Middle (Fixed Size; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (44 Active Points)

Re: Blizards, Hurricanes, and Heat WavesChange Environment is good for things like imposing PER roll penalties (hard to see in the driving rain), DEX roll penalties (walking on ice), and temperature level variations. There's a villain in CKC, Stormfront, who has these abilities. For stronger effects, the various other powers the other posters have enumerated would work.

And don't forget to add Megascale to some of the more low-key weather effects so they have far-reaching consequences. The 1st level of Megascale should be sufficient for most Storm-type powers. (wind' date=' rain, fog, heat and cold etc)[/quote']

Excellent call. I hate when a storm cloud just forms over that city block. My personal pet peave. Weather is a temperamental thing. It tends to influence itself very quickly.

There's a pretty good section in both FRED and 5ER on environmental effects, if you just want to apply CE, and with good suggestions as to other powers you may want to buy. I'm all for consisitency across games so can I suggest you have a look there? :)

Bear in mind CE effects are designed to have only a relatively minor effect on combat, so you will probably need additional powers to simulate the more extreme/comic book weather phenomena.

Variable sfx porous TK is a very good place to start. You can do wind, lightning rain, and ice right off the bat there. Alibear makes good suggestions as to other powers that simulate common comic book weather effects, but the possibilities are nearly endless.