Grimoires Question (Realistic Magic?)

Sociotard

Do Either of the grimoires include "realistic" spells?

I think the coolest idea I've found in The Ultimate Mystic is the idea of realistic magic. "Realistic" magic is the kind that passes the "Mulder and Scully" Test. Say you curse the neighbors cat, and the next week the cat gets hit by a car. Now, Mulder automatically believes that it was your curse that killed the cat, because Mulder will believe anything, no matter how childish, insane, or asinine it might be. However, the curse must be built in such a way as to let Scully disbelieve it. She has to say it was a coincidence, or a rigged "accident", but she has to be able to walk away still believing that there is nothing in heaven or earth that is not dreampt of in her philosophy. Basically, "invisible power effects" and a lot of limitations.

TUM had a few spells with a "realistic" option to it. Do either of the two grimoires have that? If not, which has spells that, in your opinion, would be easier to convert.[/Quote]

No, neither of the FHGs has the sort of magic you're referring to, being flavored more for typical Fantasy gaming campaigns. However, most spells have options that make it easy to power them down and impose the sort of "realistic" restrictions you're thinking of.

I suspect that you'll find the most "realistic" spells that would fit your description in the following sections:

Witchcraft (FHG)

Black Magic (FHG2)

Rune Magic (FHG2)

Shamanism (FHG2)

You might want to copy your post over to the FH board to get other peoples' opinions.[/Quote]

Any thoughts? Anyone? I don't want to plagerize the book, so I'll go write up a couple of powers to give as examples, but any ideas you have would be welcome too.

Re: Grimoires Question (Realistic Magic?)

Most kinds of sensory powers can be built this way very easily. Low-key Adjustment powers work well, too, although most need Invisible Power Effects, especially if they're going to affect anyone other than the caster. Attack powers need to have some other source, like the hearth suddenly flaring up and a flame or shower of sparks hitting the target.

Yep - invisible effects and delayed effects. I'd say "delayed effect - to a

random time in the near future, that could be passed off as an accident".

You could also have triggers, say "-3D6 Dex Drain, triggers next time they drive a vehicle"

Has anyone attempted a White Wolf - Mage conversion? Coincidental magic is just this kind of thing. Magic that appears to be mundane, just very improbable events.

That's less of a Delayed Effect and more of a Time Delay.

As far as a Mage: The Ascension to HERO conversion, I believe there was something like that on Surbrook's Stuff site. He had a variety of White Wolf conversions.

Invisible effects and time delay, maybe indirect as well.

Given what people who claim to cast real Magik tell me, and my own belief in Karma, I would also expect side effects on any attack spells, possibly as unluck.