Teleporting with an unwilling "passenger"

Kristopher

This is probably covered somewhere in the book, and has probably been asked here before, but...

If a character has Teleport with the Increased Mass Adder, and only wants to teleport with an unwilling second person -- not teleport the second person seperately, just take them with -- does the Teleport need to be Usable Against Others?

My first thought is "no", because you don't need to have UAA on your Flight or Running to Grab an unwilling target and move with them in tow.

Thanks.

Re: Teleporting with an unwilling "passenger"

I don't have the book with me, but if you could handle the mass and had executed a grab maneuver, I'd let you teleport with an unwilling target. I'd only require UAA if you wanted to teleport your target without going along for the ride.

This is probably covered somewhere in the book' date=' and has probably been asked here before, but...If a character has Teleport with the Increased Mass Adder, and only wants to teleport with an unwilling second person -- not teleport the second person seperately, just take them with -- does the Teleport need to be Usable Against Others? My first thought is "no", because you don't need to have UAA on your Flight or Running to Grab an unwilling target and move with them in tow. Thanks.[/quote']Yes, this is legal. Under 5E, they had added a bit about having to buy UAA to teleport an "unwilling" passenger. It was changed in 5ER such that, as long as the teleporter goes along with the additional person, you can do it.(Personal note: When I saw the bit in 5E about not being able to take an "unwilling" passenger, I flipped, for precisely the reason you stated. I was already planning to ignore the "unwilling" bit when 5ER fixed it.) :)

Advice from a game I used to run. I let a player take Teleport usable as a attack. It was VERY unbalancing. Be very careful if you allow it, it could be unbalancing. Just my two cents.

Yes, this is legal. Under 5E, they had added a bit about having to buy UAA to teleport an "unwilling" passenger. It was changed in 5ER such that, as long as the teleporter goes along with the additional person, you can do it.

(Personal note: When I saw the bit in 5E about not being able to take an "unwilling" passenger, I flipped, for precisely the reason you stated. I was already planning to ignore the "unwilling" bit when 5ER fixed it.) :)

You know, I never noticed that...

I'm glad it was officially changed. :)

Advice from a game I used to run. I let a player take Teleport usable as a attack. It was VERY unbalancing. Be very careful if you allow it' date=' it could be unbalancing. Just my two cents.[/quote']

How so, Barton? I currently have a character in my game with the power (in fact, he doesn't really do much beyond teleportation... ), and haven't really seen it to be unbalancing. Now, perhaps if he had a megascale t-port UAA, and was always t-porting villains straight up 10km, that would be an issue (but, then again, I wouldn't allow the power!).

Details, please?!

How so, Barton? I currently have a character in my game with the power (in fact, he doesn't really do much beyond teleportation... ), and haven't really seen it to be unbalancing. Now, perhaps if he had a megascale t-port UAA, and was always t-porting villains straight up 10km, that would be an issue (but, then again, I wouldn't allow the power!).

Details, please?!

The character was able to easily teleport away the bad guys, he would go for the biggest bad guy first and teleport him away. Then the other members of his team could easily get rid of the rest of the bad guys. It was difficult for me to make bad guys that were a challenge, but not overkill. The character had megascale teleport and that was the major problem. Please explain in detail to your player how he can and can not use his power. This will avoid bad feelings later if you have to restrict its use after he has tried a tactic with the teleport power.

The character was able to easily teleport away the bad guys' date=' he would go for the biggest bad guy first and teleport him away. Then the other members of his team could easily get rid of the rest of the bad guys. It was difficult for me to make bad guys that were a challenge, but not overkill. The character had megascale teleport and that was the major problem. Please explain in detail to your player how he can and can not use his power. This will avoid bad feelings later if you have to restrict its use after he has tried a tactic with the teleport power.[/quote']

I figured that it had to be an application with MegaScale... otherwise it would be difficult to break the power (in my estimation).

In the case of my groups teleporter, the only megascale t-port he has is a "gate" style t-port, which is a little more difficult to break. Granted, I could still see it happening, on occassion, but the logistics of getting all of the team through the gate, and the villain, before the villain can get back out (or more could go in) makes this a less likely scenario.

However, even in the situation you descibe, I can see some logistics issues.

Unless he has "AE Selective" on his UAA T-port, how does he get multiple targets through the t-port at once. Since UAA requires an attack, without using autofire or the rapid fire manuever, he could only get one target through at a time. Now, if he were the only one at the scene, and the rest of the team was back at the base, this may work. However, he would then need to hang out (fully vulnerable, etc) at the scene, while the other villains could theoretically pound on him.

If he does have some sort of "AE Selective", that he could t-port his whole team (and himself), the power becomes pretty expensive (especially if you required at least a decent base t-port before the megascale...)

Just my 2¢

The character was able to easily teleport away the bad guys' date=' he would go for the biggest bad guy first and teleport him away. Then the other members of his team could easily get rid of the rest of the bad guys. It was difficult for me to make bad guys that were a challenge, but not overkill. The character had megascale teleport and that was the major problem. Please explain in detail to your player how he can and can not use his power. This will avoid bad feelings later if you have to restrict its use after he has tried a tactic with the teleport power.[/quote']

I'm not sure how that could cause much of a problem. Most character have a higher rate of movement than a UAA Teleport and could just come back. Unless the UAA Teleport was MegaScaled.

I'm not sure how that could cause much of a problem. Most character have a higher rate of movement than a UAA Teleport and could just come back. Unless the UAA Teleport was MegaScaled.
There's more involved than just the distance. "Gee, darn, sorry you just landed in front of that approaching freight train..." :)But, in general, as long as it's managed, it's probably not unbalanced for the cost.

There's more involved than just the distance. "Gee, darn, sorry you just landed in front of that approaching freight train..." :)

But, in general, as long as it's managed, it's probably not unbalanced for the cost.

True, it can be used for some nasty effects. I had an evil wizard with an UAA Teleport attack he used to defend his tower with. If he was ever attacked there, he could just teleport his target outside... to a 300 foot drop. Then again, that's probably why you shouldn't attack a wizard in his own tower (or this wizard in any tower).