Gun prefab?

Savinien

Re: Gun prefab?

I created the one in the Free Stuff section, based on the Firearms list in FReD.

Which reminds me, some of it is probably wrong, rendered obsolete by DC.

As far as the DC guns prefab, there isn't one as far as I know (it wasn't included in the DC character pack I bought from the Online Store).

I would think that creating one for your own use would be OK, but that giving it away would violate Hero's copyright.

(IOW, if I create one, I won't be posting it.)

Simply because there were way too many of them, plus it would have increased the cost of the Pack to have them. It's been a policy not to put entire equipment lists in the Character Packs for this reason (and possibly others), so the FH pack doesn't have the long lists of swords and such, either.

Prefabs like this are long and arduous tasks. I have been working on a guns prefab for my DC campaign (hundreds of weapons). However, like most people (I think), our group has their own ideas on guns so our write-up really don't match those in DC. We tend to make guns a little more deadly.

After guns are done I still have to build prefabs of all the various armors and that will be another lengthy task. Then comes all those nifty equipment otpions... Ugh! now I've depressed myself.

Ok, in trying to add all the guns as Pre-Fabs (ugh), I have come across a possibly stupid question.

DC, p201, it says, that "An OCV and/or RMod penalty for a firearm is bought as a "Side Effect" (-1/4).

The gun prefabs in the 'Free Stuff' shows a .38 Derringer, with a -2 OCV -2Rmod as Custom adders (-5 cp's, and -3 cp's, respectively).

So which is it?

I wrote my Dark Champions gun prefabs using the custom power choice in quick form. On the character sheets they print out looking like this:

ADC Derringer 10mm: -1 OCV -2 RMod 1½d6 SM: 6 [2] 0.45 kg

It's much easier to do this and all the Hero-speak really isn't necessary.

Ok, in trying to add all the guns as Pre-Fabs (ugh), I have come across a possibly stupid question.

DC, p201, it says, that "An OCV and/or RMod penalty for a firearm is bought as a "Side Effect" (-1/4).

The gun prefabs in the 'Free Stuff' shows a .38 Derringer, with a -2 OCV -2Rmod as Custom adders (-5 cp's, and -3 cp's, respectively).

So which is it?

When I built the Firearms prefab, using HD v1, it was possible in HD to buy a Negative Skill Level as a penalty (to the user) on the gun. This was rules-legal at the time, but has been reversed by Steve's ruling in the FAQ.

Steve ruled that you must take a Side Effect on the power to reflect the OCV or Range Modifier penalty. HD was changed to reflect this ruling.

I have not updated the prefab since that ruling was made; need to get to that one of these days.

So the short answer is, the correct / rules-legal way to show a weapon that is less accurate than normal is to take a Side Effect that always occurs when you use the power.

So, is there an official word as to whether we can all pitch together and do a prefab for all the guns in Dark Champions? Would anyone else be interested in doing that?

Steve, are you listening?

With the Hero System Equipment Guide coming out in a couple of months there might be a prefab which will contain all the gun write ups coming out soon after that.

If and when we want to release something like that, we'll prepare it and sell it. I'm sorry, but we can't let you create it and give it away -- that would significantly diminish the value of some of our books and our ability to earn revenue from a Character Pack containing that material.