Pulp Film Recommendations

Steve Long

Re: Pulp Film Recommendations

Great suggestion! I had never heard about these films. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that Turner Classic Movies usually plays one or more of the Chandu movies from time to time. You might want to keep an eye out for them. If you've got Tivo you can set it to watch for you.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching a movie set in the pulp era. I forgot all about it. It's a really good movie about high stakes poker...

The Cincinnati Kid.

It's got tons of good stars in it.

Steve McQueen

Edward G. Robinson

and

Ann Margret--SUPER HOTTIE!!! :love:

Tuesday Weld--ANOTHER HOTTIE :love:

Like I said, As I think of them, or watch them, I'll throw them up here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Worldmaker

There was also a remake of High Plains Drifter set in the 1920-30's called last Man Standing it stared Bruce Willis.

Actually its a remake of Kurasawa's Yojimbo... but then so is High Plains Drifter.

Not related to movies, but the following site has free old time radio shows from the Pulp Era. They aren't all specifically pulps (some of the shows are radio adaptations of characters who appeared in various pulp publications (i.e., phillip marlowe, flash gordon, etc.), but they give a decent feel for the era in question (and they're free):

http://www.radiolovers.com/

OK, folx, I think this is getting a little off-topic. I don't much care which film was inspired by/ripped off/copied which film, book, or what have you. You're welcome to discuss such things in NGD, since I know they're a lot of fun to debate, but let's stick to plain ol' recommendations here. ;)

Guest Worldmaker

A couple of recent films that could be adapted to a "Pulp" game with little difficulty are "National Treasure" and "Sahara". I think that both of these plots' date=' moved back in time tio the appropriate period, could work quite well .[/quote']

National Treasure more than Sahara, I think. Unless you removed the red tide/toxin storyline.

To "Gewing" I know that it is a different sydtem but have you ever had a look at "Gurps Lensman" ?

No I haven't. I have several Gurps sourcebooks, but my purchasing of gaming books is much lower than it used to be, and Lensman except for that one book was an annoying world to me.