UNTIL

Col. Orange

Who are these guys? Our GM has used them alot as a kind of F.B.I. for superhuman cases. They've been generally regarded by us PCs as the folk who wait around the corner until the fight is over, then show up in time to make arrests.

I'm running a campaign now, and I'm trying to make them more like C-SWAT in Cyberpunk (humans whose job is to fight superhumans - a dangerous task that attracts very dangerous people).

So, what can y'all tell me that I don't know? (About all I know is that they're the guy's who wait around the corner until the fight is over, then show up to make arrests)

What does UNTIL stand for?

Are they confined to the U.S. or are they worldwide?

How hard are the average agents?

UNTIL

Good Morning Colonel,

UNTIL is a world-wide good guy organization, kind of like to opposite of VIPER. The exact definition is United Nations Tribunal on International Law. They were set up primarily because of paranormals. All of this is covered in the Champions Universe sourcebook, and since I don't want to infringe on copyright, I'll end my explanation here! :rolleyes:

Actually, it sounds like your GM is using them the way they are supposed to be used. Hope this helps a little.

Re: UNTIL

Originally posted by Fur Face

All of this is covered in the Champions Universe sourcebook, and since I don't want to infringe on copyright, I'll end my explanation here!

I SO know how to ask the wrong questions. :D

Thanks for the help though. I'm off to write up an UNTIL black-ops squad...

Re: Re: UNTIL

Originally posted by Col. Orange

I SO know how to ask the wrong questions. :D

Thanks for the help though. I'm off to write up an UNTIL black-ops squad...

I am running an UNTIL Black Ops campaign right now. It is set in a long running (almost 20 year) campaign and is one of many "mini" campaigns. I'm a co-gm. I'm using Mutants and Masterminds, but each week we switch between myself and RDU NEIL. Neil uses CHampions. UNTIL has long been a favorite place for me to tell stories. I love running games that are international in scope. So far, I've sent the PCs to Austria, Milan and Greenland.. this week; they head to the Congo.

If you want some pics of superspies, villains, a few heroes and superheroes, and some rundown on the adventures so far, it is a huge thread, but you might glean something out of it.... Please check this thread out:

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1570

Think of UNTIL, more or less, as G.I. Joe was back in the 80's. A highly trained special missions force. They are very similar in terms of equipment used....and since the Joes never really had to tackle "Supers"...(until the late 80's when Hasbro went REALLY wierd with the product line and it started to suck. *cough*Serpentor!*cough*) UNTIL might actually have slightly more sophisticated equipment than the Joes did - since Until has to deal w/ supervillains as well as Viper agents. Think of the Metropolis SCU as depicted in the WB's Superman animated series..that's a pretty close analogy to UNTIL as well...though in a more "SWAT" team street level sense. S.H.I.E.L.D. from the Marvel universe works well too. Plus, Nick Fury is a Baaaaaaaad Mamma Jamma.

-T

If you're looking for something more like a C-SWAT team, there's some nice examples in the comics:

-Marvel's "Code Blue" team (a backup feature in Thor for a while, they were simply a NYC SWAT team that took on supers. One memorable bit- Wrecker was hurling stuff off the edge of a brick building. One of the Code Blue guys takes aim, and Wrecker taunts him that hitting him would have no effect. The SWAT cop replies he's not aiming at him, and shoots the ledge out from under him. The fall does the job, knocking Wrecker out.

-Stormwatch: Team Achilles. Consisting entirely of normals and the occasional LPM, this is a much more hardcore version of an "anti-super SWAT team". Recently, they were able to severely embarass The Authority, a team that would cost X100 more pts to build in Champions terms. This may be just the ticket, since (like earlier Stormwatch incarnations) they work for the UN.

Personally, I made UNTIL the "non-powered military" branch of Project Utopia (I use some Aberrant terminology in my campaigns). It creates a wonderful little pun: Team Tomorrow is the superhero team working for Project Utopia, which is of course working to create a "utopia tomorrow, with the powers of today" -- but UNTIL then... :rolleyes:

I split UNTIL in my game, with UNTIL being the parent organization that conducts investigations into paranormal activity, does research on superhumans and acts as liaison between member state law enforcement agencies dealing with superhumans. UNIT (United Nations International Taskforce - stolen from Dr. Who) is the sub-agency that performs direct field operations against paranormal threats. This makes UNTIL the more civilian and scientific agency and UNIT the more military and police oriented.

I've always run U.N.T.I.L. along the lines of S.H.I.E.L.D. from Marvel, with agent acting somewhere between policeman and spy. Just recently I added the "gung-ho" special ops branch, U.N.I.T.E.D. (United Nations Interdiction Team, Elite Division). With members like Deuce, Crimson, and Steel, it's pretty obvious who they're based off, and my players appreciated the nostalgic homage.